Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

37,500/month in Delhi?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: 37,500/month in Delhi? Reply with quote

My best friend who lives in ND and works for Citibank for 20 years says this salary is absolute rubbish, and there would be no savings. Yet a recruiter in Gujarat told me 12,000/mo. is "middle-class" lifestyle, and would easily cover rent, food, and taxi, and still leave 4,000 rupees/mo. savings.

So how could 37,5 not be a living wage? Is it bcuz ND is way more expensie than Gujarat?

What does anyone here consider to be the absolute lowest "living wage" salary for ND? Im talkin 'bout a modest, non-partying, no bad habits, cooking at home lifestyle.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recruiter in Gujarat is basically bullshitting you. 12,000 rupees a month would I suppose just about qualify as a 'middle class' salary, but only in the sense it would be condemning you to a life of genteel poverty.

The median salary for secondary school teachers in India is 14,000 rupees a month. Private schools often offer salaries very much below that. The average GDP per capita in India is 51,000 rupees per annum, but as half of the population probably doesn't earn anything that suggests the average salary will be around 100,000 rupees a year.

The 37,500 rupees a month salary in New Dehli should allow you to have a comfortable Indian middle class lifestyle. Your Citibank friend rightly turns his nose up at it because he is getting a salary sufficient to pay a comfortable western middle class lifestyle.
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit of proof u r right about the Guju:

that school is no longer re[resented by i-to-i, so it must have been a sham.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: