Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carlton University, Melbourne.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austeacher

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Carlton University, Melbourne. Reply with quote

I don't know why international students don't realise that Melb Uni is popular by title only. International students associate it with prestige. It may be one of the first Universities founded on the Salerno and Bologna models in Italy but there is nothing about it that suggests its research is progressive.

If you look at UNSW, ANU , La Trobe, Deakin, you will soon realise those centers are bound less by empirical recognition and spend their resources on progressive ideas. Melb Uni is stuck in the dark ages, besides, it is an old boys club Uni. If you are not part of their elitist hierarchy you are merely a mendicant 3rd world student. Open your eyes!

Last edited by austeacher on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
illegalme

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's an interesting rant!

I did both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees at the University of Melbourne and I thought it was wonderful.

What evidence do you have to suggest it's research is 'less progressive' or that it's an 'old boy's club'? You shouldn't push your inferiority complex on an entire university and attempt to slander it without at least giving some evidence to back it up.

At the end of the day, you get out of university what you put in, regardless of where it is you happen to attend. Realistically, who outside of Australia really knows the name of any universities here? It's a matter of perspective really.

Take a deep breath, realise no-one actually cares, and move on.
austeacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: none Reply with quote

Well that's an interesting rant!

It is not a rant it is an invective. And you obviously care otherwise you would not have replied. So move on because nobody cares about your opinion either.

I did both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees at the University of Melbourne and I thought it was wonderful.

That is nice, I wouldn't study there if I were offered a scholarship

What evidence do you have to suggest it's research is 'less progressive' or that it's an 'old boy's club'? You shouldn't push your inferiority complex on an entire university and attempt to slander it without at least giving some evidence to back it up.

I don't have an inferiority complex; don't assume that by replying to text. Text is inanimate, people are not. Consequently you may have a right to assume that principle of inferiority if you met me in person. But I would of course repudiate that.

What evidence do I have that that it is an ''old boys club?" That is a very naiive question and observation.

What evidence do I have that demonstrates it is less progressive? The evidence is demonstrated by the fact that most students doing post graduate research or studies come from the ''Old boys school of thinking". It is demonstrated by the fact that it is a school for elite and priveleged students who come from Brighton Grammar. And who think in the Victorian style of research; and maintain the view that if it is not English we are not interested.

At the end of the day, you get out of university what you put in, regardless of where it is you happen to attend. Realistically, who outside of Australia really knows the name of any universities here? It's a matter of perspective really.

That's nice.

Take a deep breath, realise no-one actually cares, and move on.

I do Yoga. I don't care about your point of view, but thought I would comment on it because you are very narrowminded. Like most Melbourne Uni students.
illegalme

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, so you have no evidence, as I suspected.

Enjoy your yoga Wink
austeacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: none Reply with quote

Read my post in lieu of scanning it. You are the evidence you typical self aggrandizing middle class Melbourne Uni cow . I win.
hirand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very angry response.

In an earlier post you wrote, "...Don't assume that by replying to text. Text is inanimate, people are not. Consequently you may have a right to assume that [...] if you met me in person", then made similar assumptions yourself: "You are the evidence you typical self aggrandizing middle class Melbourne Uni cow . I win."

"Winning" with such an unpleasant, ad hominem response? Enjoy your victory.
austeacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: l Reply with quote

It appears Melbourne Uni is no longer the prestigious University is used to be according to a report in Stateline dated the 30/08/09. Less supercilious toffs are choosing to study there. The poor self-conscious post-graduate students of South Yarra are choosing to study in the U.K because the Universities in Australia are contemptible and don't deserve their presence or monies.
I feel a great deal of empathy for the very rich who don't get things their way. Never mind you are all so very important; I will be waiting for you when you return to Australia after you have completed your masters and will humbly apologise for your depature and for not having listened to you the first time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: