Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RP and FEC (again!) NEWBIE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anjinholuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: RP and FEC (again!) NEWBIE Reply with quote

HELLO GOOD PEOPLE Very Happy

APOLOGIES for returning to the topic, I've looked at some threads but they got me a bit confused Rolling Eyes

Here's the deal:
Been in Shandong Province for the past 2 weeks teaching at a Normal Uni.

The FAO an I have been to the local police office to resister and they got copies of my passport. I assume this is for obtaining the RP.

There's been no mention of a medical examination.

IS THIS REGULAR PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING THE RP AND FEC Question

Planning on travelling to Thailand and Vietnam for the Xmas period but am not sure if I should pressure the FAO in order to be OK for reentering China!

Would you please have the patience and post some info (again Embarassed ) on the whole procedure Question RP and FEC

Look forward to your wisdom and many thanks for your advice so far. Wink

CHEERS Exclamation
LanGuTou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "got copies of my passport"? To issue a residence permit, they would have to hold your passport and insert it on a blank page. This normally takes five days.

Since coming to Shandong, I have never had a medical. I used to teach in Inner Mongolia where the PSB insisted on medical clearance every year. Like everything in China, it is down to local interpretation. As long as you are issued with the RP, it is not your problem.
anjinholuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU LanGuTou Cool

Do you know what comes first?

Is it the RP or the FEC Question
LanGuTou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably need the FEC when applying for the RP. The PSB where I am asks for the FEC.
anjinholuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm embarrassed now, to ask possibly a stupid question Exclamation

BUT, did the school where you are at, arrange for the FEC Question

How do I go about getting it Question

I obviously need to get it before I submit the passport at the PSB.

Cheers.
LanGuTou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything from here in should be arranged for you. Just sit back and enjoy your teaching. At some point, you will be dragged off to the PSB for a photograph. In the past, this was not even necessary. The school should arrange your FEC and RP themselves (and pay for it!).
Hansen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. ...Luis,

Your situation sounds a bit dodgy. You are working, illegally, for a university which is apparently trying to get you a residence permit and FEC. You need the FEC in order to get the RP. The PSB provides the RP. The FAO of the province provides the FEC.

It sounds as if your trip to the local police station was to register your residence, a necessary step in the process. The local police are not the PSB who issue residence permits.

Your school must be properly registered to legally employ you. If they are not, they can get registered. In order to get a residence permit, you must have the FEC. The FEC is based upon your qualifications. For instance, in some provinces, you can not get an FEC to teach at the university level without a bachelor's degree. No FEC=no RP.

It is the responsibility of your FAO to secure the documents. The school did not hire you to provide travel opportunities in China. They hired you to teach. If your papers are not in order, it would be very foolish of you to leave China. You will have to turn in your passport to get the RP. It is very possible that you will not have your passport during Christmas. No Passport=No travel outside the country

A more realistic goal for you would be to travel during the New Year period. That may begin in mid January and may extend to March, depending on your school.
anjinholuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated Hansen Smile

Your information is most valuable.

The FAO is new at her job, so I will enquire about the developments of my FEC and RP application in the coming week.

Looks like I'll have to hold on travel.

CHEERS.
LanGuTou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

I later recalled it was you that posted a thread related to the rights and wrongs of working on a F Visa:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=76719

Did you come to China on a F Visa?

If so, you may never see your FEC and RP. You may have put yourself in a difficult situation.

Yes, you would go to the local police station and they would photocopy your passport and visa for residence purposes. But they would do this for any long stay foreign national (even Chinese nationals have to go through this process but their ID card details are retained rather than the passport).

That is NOT the same as obtaining a residence permit. The RP also acts as a multi entry visa if you exit China. If you have come on a one entry F Visa, you will obviously have to get a new visa to re-enter China Mainland.

You are the best judge of your own situation.

Do you have a Z Visa or F Visa? If you have a Z Visa, the process should be relatively straightforward and the university should arrange everything. If you have been cajouled into entering on a F Visa, the process will be significantly more difficult!
Chris_Crossley

Location: Still in the centre of Furnace City, PRC, after eight years!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: It all may depend on local interpretation of the rules Reply with quote

LanGuTou wrote:
If you have been cajoled into entering on an F Visa, the process will be significantly more difficult!

Not necessarily. In my case, I came back to China in December '03 on a Z visa, but the job (in Shanghai) didn't work out and the company and I parted from one another within just half a month.

I then returned to Wuhan where my then-pregnant wife arranged for the Z visa to be changed into an F visa while I searched for a new job.

Within a month, I landed a new job and the F visa was changed into a Z visa without my having to leave the city, never mind the province or the country. This meant that I was able to procure both the FEC and the RP quite easily, so the situation wasn't complicated for me.

As has been mentioned, sometimes it is a question of local interpretation of the rules. The fact that I was known to the Wuhan authorities already, having already taught in that city for two years before leaving for England (and coming back to China after 8 weeks of unemployment!), plus the fact that I was married to a (then-pregnant) Wuhanese, must have helped, I reckon.

As to the medical examination, this is quite usual when about to undertake work for a new employer. For me, that was back in January '05, so I haven't had a full medical examination for nearly five whole years since I haven't changed employers since then!
LanGuTou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: It all may depend on local interpretation of the rules Reply with quote

Chris_Crossley wrote:
LanGuTou wrote:
If you have been cajoled into entering on an F Visa, the process will be significantly more difficult!

Not necessarily. In my case, I came back to China in December '03 on a Z visa, but the job (in Shanghai) didn't work out and the company and I parted from one another within just half a month.

I then returned to Wuhan where my then-pregnant wife arranged for the Z visa to be changed into an F visa while I searched for a new job.

Within a month, I landed a new job and the F visa was changed into a Z visa without my having to leave the city, never mind the province or the country. This meant that I was able to procure both the FEC and the RP quite easily, so the situation wasn't complicated for me.

As has been mentioned, sometimes it is a question of local interpretation of the rules. The fact that I was known to the Wuhan authorities already, having already taught in that city for two years before leaving for England (and coming back to China after 8 weeks of unemployment!), plus the fact that I was married to a (then-pregnant) Wuhanese, must have helped, I reckon.

As to the medical examination, this is quite usual when about to undertake work for a new employer. For me, that was back in January '05, so I haven't had a full medical examination for nearly five whole years since I haven't changed employers since then!

I think that you will find that the situation re: converting F to Z has changed significantly since 2003. It is unlikely that the process can be carried out successfully without first obtaining the invitation letter and then doing a visa run to HK or A.N.Other country. Additionally, the interpretation of the law is somewhat different in Shanghai to Shandong.

Either way, the chances of obtaining a Z Visa, FEC and RP in time to travel at Christmas are zero.

If the OP is working on a F Visa, serious questions should be asked as to why this is.

I seem to remember that he/she accepted a job at Linyi Normal University. I cannot envisage any genuine reason why this state owned university would not be in a position to obtain legimate documentation for a Z Visa. Therefore, it would be my fear that they are recruiting teachers on F Visas for some other reason.

I don't pretend to know what the true reasons are but maybe they have an aversion to issuing a SAFEA contract either because a) they have no intention of paying salary during the Winter vacation months or b) they have no intentions of reimbursing the air ticket costs.
Chris_Crossley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: It all may depend on local interpretation of the rules Reply with quote

LanGuTou wrote:
I don't pretend to know what the true reasons are but maybe they have an aversion to issuing a SAFEA contract either because a) they have no intention of paying salary during the Winter vacation months

In which case it would not hurt for the jobseeker to look for intensive winter vacation work at private chain language schools. The Spring Festival is always a boon time for such schools as it means that the kids are on holiday, which, in turn, means that parents can stump up that little bit extra in order to shove their little darlings into classrooms and, by extension, get them out of their hair for just a few hours every day.

LanGuTou wrote:
or b) they have no intentions of reimbursing the air ticket costs.

It has been known for some unscrupulous private schools to fire foreign teachers for the most dubious of reasons just before their contracts were due to expire in order precisely to duck out of reimbursing the air fare. Happily, I have never been such a victim. Smile

In fact, at one private chain language school I worked at, they were even so generous as to give me money in lieu of what would otherwise have been reimbursement of a return air fare to England since I did not actually return to England for a break between my first and second years of employment there.

Unfortunately, at my current employers, reimbursement is the policy - i.e., if you go, you get reimbursed; if you don't go, you get nothing. One might as well go in that case! I learned that lesson in 2008! Crying or Very sad
Hansen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways around these problems. The best way, perhaps, is to have the denied benefits structured into your salary. No airline reimbursement, then 1000RMB raise in pay.

The one insurmountable problem is a recalcitrant school administration. Sometimes they just say NO. For instance, in my SAFEA contract, there is a clause which says I can't work outside without permission from the school.

I was stunned when permission was denied. I really couldn't believe it. When I found that out, at renewal time, I insisted on either a substantial raise or permission to work outside the school. They gave me the raise. For some reason, they didn't want me working outside.

There is nothing in the SAFEA contract that prevents or allows ticket reimbursement or vacation pay. That is in the appendix, a document which is tailored to the school's desires. Schools claim that they need a ticket receipt to get reimbursed from the government; however, they also claim that the gov't doesn't reimburse them. LIES LIES LIES. It can't be both ways, unless they get reimbursed for our airfare but not our salary.

I believe, although I can't prove, that schools receive a flat fee from the government to cover the costs of an FT. Whatever we don't get goes into the school's budget or into someone's pocket. I estimate that is about 100,000RMB per year in the case of my school. That's just a guess, however.

A favorite management technique is simply to LIE: "Oh, you can't travel because the government doesn't allow it." LIE! "Oh, you can't live outside the school because the government doesn't allow it. " LIE!
"You can't receive your travel reimbursement unless you actually return home. The government doesn't allow it." LIE! The government only reimburses the school for your teaching during the school year; therefore, we can't pay you during the holiday. LIE! You have a crap internet connection because of the "wire." LIE! "The internet connection in the entire city is slow." LIE! "You can't have your gf in your flat because China is a moral country." LIE! On and on and on....!

"The poison of asps is under their tongue."

Last edited by Hansen on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
anjinholuis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO MY FRIENDS Smile

Many thanks for the info on the perils of working on a F Visa.

All is well though. I am being very well treated at Linyi Normal Uni and I did come to China on an Z Visa!

Accomms are very good and I've even been paid for December after starting work on the 30th of November. Smile NICE ONE.

I did contemplate the alternatives at the time, of coming on an F Visa due to being a NEWBIE and possibly needing a Plan B.

I will contact the FAO tomorrow in hopes that with all the info you have so generously supplied, I will be able to get the ball rolling.

I have also been informed that I will NEED proof of MEDICAL INSURANCE in order to have the FEC and RP issued.

My contract DOES NOT stipulate MI, so would you be able to recommend, HOW TO GO ABOUT obtaining this, of course, having value for money in mind (A.K.A. cheap) Embarassed

MANY THANKS for your pearls of wisdom. Razz
Chris_Crossley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Your school should be providing medical insurance Reply with quote

anjinholuis wrote:
I have also been informed that I will NEED proof of MEDICAL INSURANCE in order to have the FEC and RP issued. My contract DOES NOT stipulate MI (...)

Alarm bells should be ringing right now. Your school should be providing you with the M.I., not you. The way I see it, they are trying to avoid paying it. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

In all the eight years I have been teaching in China, my full-time employers have always shelled out for my medical insurance - at least in terms of my being covered by whatever policy they have taken out. I have never, ever paid a single jiao towards it.

That is something you should ask your FAO about the next time you see him or her. If you were to fall down a flight of stairs the day you start working for the school (or even afterwards!), do they really expect you to pay thousands and thousands of kuai for hospital treatment?

If yes, tell them where to shove their contract and find alternative employment. Don't let them mess you around - they are clearly taking advantage of the fact that you're a newbie to China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: