Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problem places to work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mesquite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: problem places to work Reply with quote

On my island paradise, it's a rainy afternoon and I have just got net connection in my little house, so I decided to sift and drift through Qatar postings. Some musings as follows based on posts and true-life experiences of people. I wouldn't even go back for a visit. The whole education system needs a big overhaul which means getting rid of the idiots who run most of these places.

Academic Bridge Program (ABP) @Qatar Foundation (QF)

Why:
Gormless, spying, sneaky,controlling bully-boy director, workload, management interference, syllabus, poor accommodation - ECCH- apartments for single staff are very small, regular non-renewals of teachers who don't back the director's dumb self-aggrandizing changes.
Sources: myself, former ABP teacher

Qatar Academy @ Qatar Foundation:

Why:
Inadequate administration, constant changes Began with British system A levels, then went American - grades 1-12 and now IB - parents and students constantly being messed around) celebrity seeking status institution, spoiled, catered students who all have private tutors (I was one of them) so they can stay in the program.
Sources: myself and QA teacher-girlfriend, gripes and grievances from QA teachers (elementary & high school) and private tutors.

Qatar Foundation:

Why:
Too many cooks in the kitchen, too many administrators who are not educators, too many changes and new policies, poor accommodation for the teachers (the bosses & directors get to live in places like the Lagoon!!!!at 45,000 QR/month!!!!!) .
Sources: QF staff from different departments and schools, residents in ECCH, etc.

Qatar Petroleum (QP)

Why:
Poor management, short-notice, firing of long-term staff, very low salaries, shacks for classrooms (although this has now changed)
Sources: QP drinking buddies (recently fired), many posts.

Qatar University (QU):

Why:
Poor management policies, sneaky, spying controlling bullying head, vacillating director, weak students, bad curriculum, hire2fire policy, annual firing
Sources: QU buddy (a victim fired a few years ago, now head of department elsewhere), many posts, conversations at TESOL with very angry former teachers who think the head is very dysfunctional with a severe personality disorder. Sounds like gormless at ABP.

SEC (Supreme Education Council, Qatar)

Why:
Very poor administration, constantly changing policies and programs, poor management of Independent schools and their operators, regular changing of advisers and consultants, ready to jump on the bandwagon. Major chaos!
Sources: former teacher trainers for various outfits (American, German, Australian,all of their companies lost contracts after very short notice and left people high and dry! Seems like they can't get organized.

They haven't a clue what Charter Schools are really about (they are supposed to have modeled the independent schools on these but they have strayed far from the original concept of what a Charter School is.)

Independent Schools under SEC

Why:
low low salaries, poor housing and work conditions, incompetent principals and administrators
Sources: former and current unhappy independent school teachers (Arab and non-Arab)

CNAQ
Why: a multitude of mismanagement sins
Source: posts (a lot of angry posters for this place) and one guy I met once who says he was leaving for the same I was- a bully-boss.

The only places people talk positively about are Georgetown University, VCUQ, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell Weill and Texas A & M
, located at Education City run by QF but running their own shows. These places offer a lot of scholarships so that they can keep going! Cornell Weill has had some major admin & staffing problems, though.... Most people live at ECCH so there is a lot of commentary on what goes on in different places down at the clubhouse.

Last edited by mesquite on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
randytheringworm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made me look up gormless in the dictionary (I'm American)

And for that I thank you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I guess that summarizes it... no jobs in Qatar... all bad... except for two who have never advertised for teachers that I've heard of... and likely bring them from the US.

One wonders if the problem is the employers... or your friends. Laughing

VS
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
... except for two who have never advertised for teachers that I've heard of... and likely bring them from the US.

VS

...and, that they do! Sad

NCTBA
Camel Fluffer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Gulf English School, Doha, Qatar Reply with quote

Avoid Gulf English School in Al Gharafa, Doha, Qatar.

Contracts are changed after you have signed, extra hours and duties added for no extra pay, bullying managers, a meddling arrogant (royal) owner, poor accommodation, poor resources, below standard students who are accepted without testing just because they have the 'right' surname...very low staff morale.

Staff are forced to work on days when other schools are closed at the whim of the owner who does not care about Qatari Labor Laws. In previous years since I have been here staff have had to fight to get bonuses that were promised them.

In 2008-9 the principal was fired after only 6 months and at the end of the year the VP and Head of Secondary did not have their contracts renewed. Despite what they both claimed to the contrary they were let go. The new Secondary school managers are a pair of identikit bullies, using excessive paperwork and afterschool meetings to cover the many huge cracks in this school.

A widely despised married couple on the staff are clawing their way up the management pile by making sure high-profile duties only come their way so they can claim any glory.

The 2009/2010 school year began with staff being told you have no union and no rights and were then given the shaft - an extra 30 minutes was added to each day for no extra pay, staff now have many more duties and meetings and a blame culture is starting to appear.

Also, lower wages than other similar independent schools!
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gulf English School, Doha, Qatar Reply with quote

Camel Fluffer wrote:
Contracts are changed after you have signed, extra hours and duties added for no extra pay, bullying managers, a meddling arrogant (royal) owner, poor accommodation, poor resources, below standard students who are accepted without testing just because they have the 'right' surname...very low staff morale.

What? Are you telling us that the MLI DIDN'T close down for real in 2005, but merely moved its operations and style to Qatar? Shocked ... Laughing ... Shocked

NCTBA
Camel Fluffer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Gulf English School - update Reply with quote

Well, wonder of wonders....at Gulf English School the despised Head of Secondary has resigned with immediate effect. Did he really jump or was he pushed? Who cares, the guy is gone after barely 2 months and has been replaced by a more competent and much more popular established member of the teaching staff.

The previous warnings still apply though - GES is far from a good school.

Staff who leave - even at the end of their contracts and with a good record are not allowed to reapply for work in other schools as the owner refuses to issue No Objection Letters. You have to leave Qatar for 2 years before you can return.
Madman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: GES Reply with quote

Interesting posts, Camel Fluffer.

I too am at GES and can vouch that what CF says is indeed the case.

The recent and very sudden change in leadership of Secondary might make for a better atmosphere but many of the existing problems result from the owner/company board.

Staff are hired by the school but are regarded as employees of the group of companies owned by the owner's husband. If you have a problem with the school - especially a legal one - you are up against the company and its powerful guns.

Not the worst place I have worked in the ME but...
joscothewalrus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about going to Qatar to work for a few months, but I am slightly put off by what I've just read....

Are any of the schools below legit?

http://www.eslbase.com/schools/qatar

Al Jazeera Academy www.aja.edu.qa
Al Maha English Schools www.almahaschools.edu.qa
American School of Doha www.asd.edu.qa
Bell Doha www.belldoha.com
British Council Qatar www.britishcouncil.org/qatar
Direct English www.directenglish.com
Doha college www.dohacollege.com
Doha English Speaking School www.dess.org
Doha Montessori and British School www.doha-montessori.com
ELS Language Center www.elsmea.com
MES Indian School www.mesqatar.org
Middle East International School www.misqatar.com
Qatar Academy www.qf.edu.qa
Qatar Canadian School www.qcs.edu.qa
Qatar International School www.qis.org
The Cambridge School www.cambridgeschool.com.qa
The Gulf English School gulfenglishschool.com
The Language Institute www.lidoha.com
University of Qatar www.qu.edu.qa
millie18

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you an EFL teacher actually asking if the British Council is legit? You must be brand spankin' new at the EFL gig if you are.

DESS, the Canadian School (if you're not Canadian you're not going to be considered) Compass International and Qatar Academy are all "legit" schools in terms of curriculum so far as I know. I don't have any insight on the working conditions.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........for a few months......?

On a backpacker's tour of the Middle East ?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... I had missed that comment.

The Gulf doesn't have short term contracts with legitimate employers. Normally they run from 1-3 years.

VS
redsoxman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway Qatar is pretty boring if you're single. Not much to do and some weird rules; when we went to a bar, they asked for ID cards and wrote down my passport number. So big bro is watching just like the big bro they got running QU foundation. What a joint!

Last edited by redsoxman on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look... one of the well-known Qatar sockpuppets is back. Anyone who is curious of his history should be sure to check out his past posts and how he was so clearly outed as such. One would hope that soon he would get over his obsession with attacking an employer where he supposedly never worked.

But, I will agree that Qatar can be a bit dull for singles.

VS
lollaerd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There can be no worse place to work than QP. It's a good job I quit last year and found another job. The unlucky contract suckers who are still there were paid 2000 QR for the November salary!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: