Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF-Beykent University?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svenhassel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadashirleyblue wrote:

I have NEVER met such badly behaved children.

And they're not even real children.

Are all late teen/ early twenty something Turks this unhinged?

Do all Turkish prep school students have an average mental age of nine years?

Or is it just in private "universities"?
doner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the utter stupidity and childishness of the twenty something babies. And the way they need their hands held over everything. Their obsession with not attending but getting their names in the register.
Happydays

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Beykent last autumn, and it was theworst teaching job I've ever taken in my life, and I've been teaching for over 25 years. This place doesn't need teachers it needs babysitters!
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the government taxes (legal) English teachers, though I've heard from a couple of reliable sources that the tax is refundable upon leaving the country. And since taxes are about 33% of your gross pay, that would amount to a good chunk of change. I have, however, never verified this to be true, and I'd love to hear from someone who has done/tried to do it.

And no, Beykent is certainly not the best Istanbul has to offer. Why do you think they outsourced their prep department to a language school? The admin couldn't handle it. Not just any language school, but EF (don't be fooled by the name, it's no longer English First - they lost their franchising license, or so I hear).

I've worked at 3 private unis here, and they've all been pretty good, in their own ways. The students are a problem at any private uni, but mine at least calm down when I tell them to.
TeachEnglish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also work at a private university and I don't know which is worse, the students or the administration. The only people with rules to follow and punishments are the teachers.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a common theme in education - a field where administrators constanly like to end discussions by reminding staff that the hallowed halls of education should be places of respect, decency and intellectual honesty.

And with such lofty sentiments in mind, they go and treat their staff like recalcitrant pack mules.

Yep. The field of education is certainly not one of the bountiful meadows that feature in the poetry of the romantics, but is more like a field post battle where the decomposing have been stripped of their clothes, and the dying have crows busy at their eyes.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, the government taxes (legal) English teachers, though I've heard from a couple of reliable sources that the tax is refundable upon leaving the country. And since taxes are about 33% of your gross pay, that would amount to a good chunk of change. I have, however, never verified this to be true, and I'd love to hear from someone who has done/tried to do it.

QUESTION: ARE ANY TEACHERS ON THIS THREAD WHO ARE WORKING IN TURKEY VERIFIABLY GETTING TAXED 33% RIGHT NOW??? Please speak up if you are, Id like to know 4 sure.
kazazt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Parrot wrote:
It seems to be a common theme in education - a field where administrators constanly like to end discussions by reminding staff that the hallowed halls of education should be places of respect, decency and intellectual honesty.

And with such lofty sentiments in mind, they go and treat their staff like recalcitrant pack mules.

Yep. The field of education is certainly not one of the bountiful meadows that feature in the poetry of the romantics, but is more like a field post battle where the decomposing have been stripped of their clothes, and the dying have crows busy at their eyes.

You have Saudi down to a tee. I remember being told by the CO of our school "Wallah we are pay lot of money do not do anything bad the student."
Happydays

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Beykent or EF management improving? or is this a stupid question!
cmann

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes the tax is 33% but the employer should pay it, I have never met anyone who actually paid tax.
kazazt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happydays wrote:
Is Beykent or EF management improving? or is this a stupid question!

Stupid question. They do not need to improve as there are endless TEFLers begging for poorly paid work.
Happydays

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Beykent is on the way down....
Happydays

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Beykent University is terminating the contract with EF due to the poor quality of the teaching staff.They say the Turkish teachers do a better job.
svenhassel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true: EF and Beykent are looking forward to another mutually profitable academic year.
atoklas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually pay 33% taxes. at least for the "legal" work i do. Cool as far as getting it back when i leave, i'm not holding my breath.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: