Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching near Sariyer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nortega

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Teaching near Sariyer? Reply with quote

I will be moving possibly next year to Istanbul and am trying to find out if there are schools, etc in the Sariyer area of Istanbul to teach english. (reason being I might be living in that area).
I am a newbie to this and will be getting my certificate to teach before I go.
I appreciate any suggestions that will help me to plan.[/b]
gelin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess we need to first find out what kind of certificate you will have to teach. Depending on that will be your options as to where, who and what you will teach. Sariyer is a nice place in Istanbul, by the way, if you didn't already know that.

I also take it that you do realize that you need to have all the visa work done BEFORE you come to Turkey, right?
nortega

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Sariyer Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. As I said I am new to this. I am looking into a program that will give me a TEFL certificate.
I hope to come to Istanbul in the next month and visit some schools to discuss my teaching for them in the Fall. (of course providing there are openings)
From everyones messages, I do know about the visa and I thought I would take that step if and when I was given an offer - I realize this all might be unreasonale thinking from my part????
gelin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your teaching credentials will certainly limit the places you will be able to teach at. You will be looking at language schools, which typically don't pay as well as private schools/universities. I think if you do have the means and time to come and check out the schools, do so. You will be able to talk to the current teachers and have a look at their living arrangements. Sariyer probably isn't the cheapest place to live if the school doesn't provide a place for you.

Don't limit yourself to Sariyer -- there are plenty of other schools on the European side. Why Sariyer, just to be nosy?

Have you checked out the internet ads for language schools in Istanbul? You might as well send out your resume and find out salaries, etc., before you go to save time and frustration.
nortega

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Teaching near Sariyer Reply with quote

Thanks for putting that so clearly about what my options re:employment.
My husband might be teaching at Koc University, so this is why I was focused on Sariyer. It sounds like there are no language schools in that area, so I should concentrate on other parts of Istanbul...I better get searching....
El Gordo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of private K12 schools in the Sariyer area which employ foreign teachers and, providing you have a degree in English, some of them might be prepared to consider you even if you do not have a PGCE (or similar). For example:

�zel Cent Koleji, Tarabya
�zel Dar�ssafaka Lisesi, Derbent
Atat�rk Koleji (an Istek school), Tarabya �st�
Isik Koleji (written with two undotted "i"s and an "s cedilla") and University, Maslak
Y�zyil Isil (again, two undotted "i"s and "s cedilla"), in Belgrad forest near B�y�kdere.
Bogazi�i Koleji, Maslak.

All of these are within 10-15 minutes bus-ride of Sariyer. You can find contact details on their websites. I suggest you fax your CV to them and you might be lucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: