Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach French/English in Sihanoukville/Phnom Penh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pieroku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Teach French/English in Sihanoukville/Phnom Penh Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

Im actually travelling around Asia, and I met some people who were teaching english there, moreover in vietnam and cambodia.
I want to do it too, so im looking for some informations

So, I wanted to teach English, but one guy told me i'd better teach French as it's less french teachers than english's (so easier to find a job). Is it right? What do you think about that?
I want to do it in Cambodia, Sihanoukville if it's possible, otherwise Phnom Penh. What should I do? Like find an organisation who would tell me which school is looking for teachers, or just go by myself in schools and ask?
Does anyone know anything about Sihanoukville, like if they are looking for french teachers, or for no-native english teachers; which schools or organisation i should go/ask; if I'd better go to private schools or public schools...
In another topic, I read that the guy shouldnt accept offers less than 6$ an hour in Pnohm Penh. Is it the same salary for french teachers? And in Sihanoukville? (bet its lower because of the beach..)
If I go to some schools and find a job by myself, will I have some help about teaching, like to teach in a good way, or I will just to find it out byu myself?

And then I'd like to know how it works about visas. People told me I can come with tourist visa and work (under the table I guess). Is it right? How can i get a tourist visa longer than 1 month?

Last part: I have no degrees. Is it going to be harder to get a job? and what about the salary? I dont know if i could talk about it here but a guy told me I can get a fake degree, and if i work under the table, the school wont check. Is it right?

Thank you for your answers!
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have a problem scraping a living in Sihanoukville, I think. There are a couple of language schools and universities but the pickings are slim and hourly rates of pay are low. You would have a much better chance in Phnom Penh.

The use of, and demand for, French language in your former colony Very Happy has declined dramatically over the last ten years or so, as most young Cambodians prefer to learn English. There was even a minor student-rebellion a few years ago at a medical college established with funding from the French government. The students demanded that the language of instruction should be changed from French to English (and it was). That said, Alliance Francaise (Google it) has a fairly thriving centre in Phnom Penh, though I have no idea what their employment criteria are; and at least a couple of the universities offer French courses. There is however a significant French-Khmer community in Phnom Penh, so I would imagine there are no shortage of candidates to fill the few available positions.

You will be facing stiff competition nowadays for English teaching posts in Phnom Penh. There is a glut of TEFL qualified native-speakers, pursuing fewer available teaching hours. This is also not a particularly good time to look for work, as the "cool" season generally sees an influx of Western teachers. In addition to competent Cambodian teachers of English, there are also significant numbers of Filipinos and Africans, all of whom will work for much lower salaries. As an unqualified non-native speaker with no experience, at best you will be looking at a few hours here and there at bottom-end, hole-in-the-wall language schools, for very low hourly rates.

As to the mention of the fake degree, you should be ashamed of yourself. Cambodians pay what are to them substantial amounts of money to learn from a real teacher. How would you feel if the situation were reversed? You certainly wouldn't be the first to use false qualifications, however the better employers with Western or switched-on Khmer management do check. And these Khao Sarn road fakes are very easy to spot for anyone who has even the faintest idea about such things.

Bon chance.
jprimm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think that you are qualified to teach English?
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.
Pieroku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer!
PattyFlipper wrote:
As to the mention of the fake degree, you should be ashamed of yourself. Cambodians pay what are to them substantial amounts of money to learn from a real teacher. How would you feel if the situation were reversed?

Hmmm well, the way i think about that is there is no difference about teaching between somebody who has no degree, and somebody who has a random degree (by "random" i mean a degree which doesnt help to teach)
I couldnt pass my degree for some reasons, I had to stop school 2 month before, and Im sure I wouldnt have been better teacher if I would have had it Smile

jprimm wrote:
What makes you think that you are qualified to teach English?

I thought I wasnt qualified for this, but all the english teachers I met during my travel told me I was, as some english teachers from Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia are really bad.
If I'm not qualified, I guess when I'll have an interview, the employer will tell me
But as it's not my native language, I'd rather teach French, I will be a better teacher
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pieroku wrote:

I thought I wasnt qualified for this

You are not.

Pieroku wrote:

all the english teachers I met during my travel told me I was, as some english teachers from Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia are really bad.

I have met many highly competent Khmer teachers. One of the best language teachers I have ever seen, anywhere, was Cambodian. At least they usually have some idea of the concepts and methodologies behind second language acquisition. TESOL training and methodology courses are a popular career option with young Khmers. I would take a trained, experienced, local over much of the Western flotsam and jetsam which washes up on Asian shores any day of the week, many of whom think that the only required qualification for 'teaching' a language is having a white face and a pulse. Regrettably, some Asian employers are of the same deluded mentality, though their shortsightedness is also usually reflected in the salaries they offer. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Pieroku wrote:

If I'm not qualified, I guess when I'll have an interview, the employer will tell me

They might if you don't lie to them and/or misrepresent your qualifications.

The better run schools which pay comparably well in both Cambodia and Vietnam would not consider you anyway. You should also be aware that Cambodian and Vietnamese students are often far more discerning than say the Thais or the Mainland Chinese. Most of them want to learn and demand results in return for their fees. They will ask pertinent questions and expect you to know the answers. They will not hesitate to complain about a 'teacher' who is obviously faking it and does not deliver the goods. It is unlikely that you will be able to just walk into the classroom and 'wing it' for any sustainable period of time.

I am not disparaging the fact that you are a non-native speaker. Many non-native teachers with good second language skills are better able to empathize with their students than some monoglot hick from Iowa, Queensland, or Yorkshire (or indeed Normandy Smile ) . What I question are your motives and your proposed methods for obtaining employment in this field.
Pieroku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
I have met many highly competent Khmer teachers. One of the best language teachers I have ever seen, anywhere, was Cambodian. At least they usually have some idea of the concepts and methodologies behind second language acquisition. TESOL training and methodology courses are a popular career option with young Khmers. I would take a trained, experienced, local over much of the Western flotsam and jetsam which washes up on Asian shores any day of the week, many of whom think that the only required qualification for 'teaching' a language is having a white face and a pulse. Regrettably, some Asian employers are of the same deluded mentality, though their shortsightedness is also usually reflected in the salaries they offer. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Ok, I believe you, Im just repeating what I heard, and if I came to this forum, it's to try to know if everything is like people told me.
(Obviously not Smile )

PattyFlipper wrote:

What I question are your motives and your proposed methods for obtaining employment in this field.

Ok so I'd like to teach because I love kids, and I will be very happy to do something for them. (For me, it's a way better than giving them money...).
During my travel, i met so many adorable kids, I couldnt do a lot for them as I didnt know what to do (except bringing books to their school, and stay with them for a while playing and talking english) but now I know I can help, teaching a foreign language.
I love to live in a foreign country, learn different languages (talk to people with their own language is really different than talk to them in english...), and Id like to do this in Cambodia because I just love this country, its beautifull and people are very nice

I dont want to do that for money, I want to earn just enough to be able to live here.

And to obtain employment, Im going to go to schools in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville, ask people if they need french teacher (yeah I'll do french I think, if you can notice my english is not perfect, i prefer not to teach it Smile )
Austrian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pieroku, you sound like a decent guy/gal and your motives seem ok. Go ahead and give it a try.

In case you can't find an opening for teaching French, still give E a try. If you teach kids, you do not need absolutely perfect E. I know that all native speakers will nail me to the wall for saying that Wink

Just stay off the booze and refrain from partying every day when having to teach the following day. After all it is a job and comes with a responsibility regardless what the pay might be.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: