Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Currently In Kosova?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mizzoumike76

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Anyone Currently In Kosova? Reply with quote

Folks,

I may have a shot at a job in Prishtina. I lived in Albania a bit and picked up a little of the language, and I'm excited at the prospect to get back in the region.

How is the cost of living in Prishtina? Albania (Tirana) was quite inexpensive for eating out, cabs, furgons, etc. Clothing was expensive, but tailored suits were cheap.

How about power and water cuts? Tirana had its share of blackouts and I once went 6 days without running water, so if it's better than that, I'll be in good shape.

Any advice? Current or former residents, I'd love to hear from ya.

Faleminderit!

Michael
jordanm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just responding since it's been about two weeks. I was there in late '05 and they had blackouts as frequently as parts of Albania. I would hope by now the situation is better. It was the same routine as Albania though - everything goes dark and then all across the city a thousand generators start up. I suspect housing might be a bit pricier because of all the NGOs and military there. There was a Chinese restaurant there across from the UN police station and several pizza places. Era in Blloku Tirana was better though for pizza.

I'm sure you're familiar with this but always found it helpful: http://www.inyourpocket.com/kosovo/pristina

Good luck. I'd like to make it back to both countries to see how they've changed.
mizzoumike76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I've been here about two weeks, and it is going well. Really reminds me of Tirana, yet different in a lot of ways.

No blackouts yet, which is good, since it is cold and my heat is electric. The good news is I have two big thermal mass heaters, the ones filled with bricks that stay hot for about a day after they're unplugged.

Water service is good too; looks like routine rationing that starts around midnight and ends at about 5:30am, but great the rest of the time.

I was surprised to see the variety available in the two markets I've been to; Worcestershire sauce, Thai hot chili sauce? Amazing. Nothing even close in Tirana. Still, I do miss the halal pizza places and yes, the "Block" district for nightlife.

Beats Japan anyday.

Is anyone else on here living in Prishtina? Where are the expats hanging out these days?

Michael
jordanm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the expats are at the nearest faux Irish bar. Or just ask around the pizza places where are the UN brass seem to be (at least back when I was there). I didn't go out to late as I had to hike a ways to get back to where I was staying when there.

I hope they still have that really nice movie theatre - only two screens but plush seats, red curtains and the works.

Glad you're enjoying it. Be sure to get out of town to Prizren and Peja (Pec).
rrruss

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Kolegji Universum Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about these guys? I've just been offered a postion there.

I'd also like to know what a reasonable salary is for an experienced EFL teacher.

Finally, Prishtina or Ferizaj? Anyone know much about living in either place?

Thanks in advance

Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: