Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qingdao Universities - anyone working for these schools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dialogger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Qingdao Universities - anyone working for these schools? Reply with quote

Anyone working for the following?
Ocean University
Qingdao International Business College
Qingdao Technology University
Qingdao University
Qingdao University of Science and Technology
kungfucowboy83

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no personal experince but the rummors i head in qingdao always accused them of working together to keep the univerity salaries unreasably low.
seagull

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for some reason university pay in Qingdao seems a lot lower than elsewhere. Is there a massive oversupply of teachers there? Just wondering why this is the case compared with similar sized cities.
Hansen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A contributor to low salaries are missionary organizations, which send half baked "Christians" to China to save the ignorant heathen savages.

Unfortunately, some of these crackpots are so confused themselves that they teach disputed Christian doctrines which sicken even other believers.

The sensible Chinese are disgusted at such rubbish and reject Christianity altogether. The ones who embrace the fanatical teachings are whack jobs already. Their new "faith" pushes them over the edge.

Some of these Christian groups have arrangements with universities to supply teachers at a low rate. Many of the "teachers" also are receiving a stipend from a church, so they can afford to take a low paying job while laboring for the salvation of the ignorant masses.

In some cases, they actually raise FT salaries; however, in my experience, limited to one place, they lowered the salaries and gave the school an obnoxious, arrogant attitude about themselves, so much so that they bragged about offering low salaries.

Many of the people involved in these missionary enterprises are nice, well meaning people. They are simply misguided, perhaps not realizing that the administrative officials are pocketing the difference between low and fair salaries. Others, of course, being on a holy mission, care not a whit about the impact of their work on other FTs.

After all, the heathen FTs are part of the problem.
themanymoonsofjupiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i have friends in qingdao, i have searched in vain for a well-paying job there. i interviewed at one of these (maybe the last one you mentioned?) a few years ago. it is as hansen said---missionaries had full run of the place, and salary was something like 3000/month with no airfare reimbursement. there is no way salaries have gone up enough to justify moving there...unless you really, really love the place.
Moon Over Parma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet TELIC is responsible. They've got a large presence in Dongbei, with lots of affiliations in Heliongjiang and Jilin province, and Shandong is not far from those provinces. In Changchun a very corrupt, private, prison-like college named Huaqiao use a ton of TELIC missionaries. They hire them at 1/4-1/2 the fee that the full time foreign teachers trapped in their grasp make, and while the full timers receive private apartments of their own they have the churchies shacked up 2 to an apartment. I've been told the apartments are not particularly large. I believe TELIC have ties to public universities and high schools in different parts of Shandong, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've obliterated the EFL business at universities in Qingdao.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: