Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living Comfortably on S$3,500?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whattodo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Living Comfortably on S$3,500? Reply with quote

I received an offer with a salary of S$3,500 a month, no housing or housing allowance. At first, it seemed like a pretty good offer until I did some research on housing and first 6 months tax. I am starting to have my doubts. Additionally, I have heard many sides of the story, some people saying that range is great, others saying it is crap. Also, there is a matter of perspective. I know that for some people, a salary like that would be more than adequate and for others, it would be ridiculous.

I suppose I have two questions here:

#1 Is it possible to live comfortably by western standards on this salary AND save a decent amount each month?

#2 What is an "average" salary for the ESL industry in Singapore for foreign instructors? I heard it was around 2,500-4,500, but that was the owner telling me that. My role would be as a business English and higher level instructor.
SydGirl2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Living comfortably on $3500 Reply with quote

$3500 is not very high, especially if you do not get any rental allowance. I know people who earn that and get an allowance of $1000/month. As you have done some research, you will know that rents for a private apartment are well in excess of that. Some people are happy to share an apartment or rent a room in an HDB and manage to save quite a lot. These people pay anything from $400-$1000 / month and they save heaps. However, they share facilities and there may not be much privacy. As far as I know, you can rent a master bedroom +bathroom for $1000-$1500 depending on area and whether it is a condo or HDB. If privacy is an issue, then that may not be for you. However, depending on who you share with, you may find you have vastly different working hours and thus will have the apartment to yourself for a lot of the time. BTW, I haven't heard of the company you mentioned but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: whatodo Reply with quote

Whatodo,

To your questions as follows:

#1 Is it possible to live comfortably by western standards on this salary AND save a decent amount each month?

The short answer is N O!

#2 What is an "average" salary for the ESL industry in Singapore for foreign instructors? I heard it was around 2,500-4,500, but that was the owner telling me that. My role would be as a business English and higher level instructor.

The a v e r a g e salary is dependant on the judgement of both the offerer and the person being offered to.

There is much written on this forum advocating that Singapore is a great place to work. You have done your research. Well done!

I hope that my answers above stimulate you to look for work in other places; Japan, South Korea, Thailand are just starters.

PM me for further info on Singapore.
teachsg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: $3500/month and SSTC Reply with quote

Hi-
I seldom respond here, and instead enjoy reading the posts. However, I get annoyed when Krakatoa comes on here and is so negative. He's obviously just that way, and take what he says with a grain of salt.

I've lived in Singapore for 22 years. The school you mentioned, SSTC, is located across from Plaza Singapora. The school pays more than the average language school, but the owner, a woman, can be rather dictatorial, and you feel that when you are there. However, her school does well, and the location is ideal. I'd negotiate for more, and you just might get it.

I have a friend who makes exactly $3,500/month and rents a room in a condo. He has a master bedroom. If you have the patience, you certainly can find one where you can have privacy or you get to feel comfortable enough where you can be yourself and hang out at home. My friend saves $700-$900/month, but relies on the bus transportation and lives simply. He is still quite comfortable.

Singapore is a very nice place to live. I would suggest going on-line to the Straits Times in Singapore and doing a search for rooms in condos. You'll be surprised what you find.

Regards,
teachsg
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Living comfortably on S$3.5 PM Reply with quote

Whattodo,

Once again I answer:

I replied a very EMPHATIC - - - N - O!

Read teachersq's post and you will see that you will not save in Singapore what you can in (especially) South Korea. Saving in Thailand and Japan will be somewhat higher than Singapore. However, Thailand living costs will be somewhat cheaper while Japan living costs will be on a par to Singapore; everything considered on a pro-rata basis.

Privacy: once again teachersq informs us of what you can expect. If you can tolerate this life style it is your choice.

To all readers: I do not apologise for being negative. I just don't believe in pretending something is snowy white when it is a different colour.

This is my personal experience.

For a FULL report on Singapore all readers are free to PM me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: