Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to take BIG TRIP this summer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Want to take BIG TRIP this summer. Reply with quote

Hola!

I want to take a trip this summer to Laos and Thailand. I am currently living in China and I have both RMB and US dollars (USD). I am an American citizen.

I have read on the website of the Thai embassy that an American does not need a visa to go there, but one does in Laos. The nearest Lao' embassy to me is far away in Beijing. So, the question is can I get a visitor visa by showing up on the China/Lao border (not to mention problems of language barrier and what have you).

I would like to take a train down from Yunnan province to Chaing Mai, Thailand or Vientaine, Laos. How much trouble would this be?

Can I take Chinese RMB to trade for Lao money (kip)? Can I trade Lao money for Thai Bhat? Of course USD would be more preferrable, but I would rather sell Mao bucks than Uncle sam dollars.

Any help is appreciated

SENOR
NIGHTSTRIKER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: A LITTLE HELP... Reply with quote

I cross into Laos at Nong Khai Thailand.....They speak enough English on both sides to get you departed and arrived. So I assume its the same coming from China....

You can get the Laos visa upon entry, its for 15 days @ USD $30.00
They actually prefer dollars, but will take the baht as well..

Travel with USD, it can be changed to Kip at exchange or bank in Vientiane... I don't think travellers checks are good anywhere......I never use them...I use about three money belts stached in my bag somewhere....

You can pay for anything in USD in Laos, and will get Kip in return, so carry or get 5 dollar bills....don't change so much dollars at a time,or you will look like a fool.....10,000 kip to one USD.....the largest kip note is 20,000...are are no coins in kip.....a 500 kip is smallest used...in the past there was a 1 kip note.......NOTE......

There is no ATM machine is LAOS....

Vientaine is not cheap.....Spring for an aircon room @ 8 USD a night..you will need it....food is not cheap if not eating at a stall...and you have no idea when it was cooked...and its sweltering hot in laos...spelled Bacteria.......

Folks go north and south and have good reports all around, the travel part really sucks.....BUS...you are really living on the edge is you consider LAO AIR!!!!

Don't leave LAOS with kip..........it ain't worth squat on the outside....

NIGHTSTRIKER
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: