Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcorton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Newbie Question Reply with quote

Hopefully this is the right forum.. if not please direct me to a more appropriate one.

Having visited the UAE and Oman, I would relish the opportunity to live there, and the only way for me to live there (like most) is to work. I am short on wasta in the UAE & Oman. I do have a BA in Chemistry, have taught computers, HTML programming and Economics at two year colleges, plus several years in the chmical field, and owned my own business. I have no "English" Certifications other than being an American. I would have to have accompanied status, however my wife lived for 11 years in Saudi Arabia, so culturally UAE and Oman present no issues. She has no teaching experience, and a Bachelors in Political Science. KSA is not really an option at the moment for us.

Having said all that, the question is what is the fastest way to get the necessary requirments to teach (ESL or somthing else?) in the UAE or Oman. I do realize the higher standard of living is in the UAE.

Thanks In advance.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you freely admit you have no English teaching qualifications, I would say your chances of finding teaching work in the UAE are slim at best. Even well-qualified and experienced teachers find it difficult to get work here Sad

To get a good job, you'll need a Masters in TESOL or Applied Linguistics, plus experience. Same in KSA. there's no real 'fast route' to this, I'm afraid.
hmbaba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: newbie question Reply with quote

Hi
Sounds as tho' you have experience in teaching some subjects - chemistry, econ, etc - so why not get a list of English medium schools (from the UAE embassy) and apply direct to them for teaching posts in the fields in which you are qualified? There are all kinds of schools in all the Emirates where classes are taught in English - the students could be westerners, expat Arabs, Arab-western nationals, etc. The pay won't be as good as in a college, but it'll get you over here and then do an MA TESOL or something by Distance Learning.
Just an idea,
Regards...
jcorton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleopatra & hmbaba

Thank you for the response... the UAE English medium schools list is online, and there are several that may be of interest there... Hopefully at least one of the 200 or so listed (both private and public) needs a good western educated teacher... Inshallah

BTW does anyone know about:

Dubai American Academy
(I have one more, Icant find now, will post later.)

Thanks
jcorton
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: DAA Reply with quote

Dear jcorton,

Dubai American Academy? Try these:

http://www.dubaiacademy.com/

(love the opening)

http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/31104.html

http://www.daa.ae/Library/ELEMpage/

http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/expatinfo/dubaiacademy.htm

http://www.expatexchange.com/gd/rspee.cfm?rid=62&answerid=249&networkid=273

Regards,
John
jcorton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Thanks & memory recall. Reply with quote

John,

Thank you for the information... it is very helpful... I will need to be clearer in the future... I was, and still am, looking for more insider information. Personal experiences, someone who knows someone there etc.

The other place I forgot previously was the Gulf English School in Kuwait (I know, wrong forum, but feel free to answer!)

Thanks all...
Jcorton
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: training ! Reply with quote

To get anything reasonable in KSA you would need to add some TESOL/TEFL certification or an MA. The days when you could get a good job in KSA on the strength of being a native speaker with a degree are 20 years on the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: