Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whither Turkiye?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Whither Turkiye? Reply with quote

I have a long, dark winter afternoon ahead of me, no students to distract me from... doing very little Wink This excess of free time (I only teach 18 h/week) has left me thinking a lot, esp as contract renewal time is coming up fast.

The question is: Should I stay or should I go? I teach in the Lise of a private k12, my hours are few, my holidays are stunningly long, I can easily save 300-400 sterling each month, my shared flat is rent free with no utility costs except gas for hot water and the stove. However, I am in one of the least mentally stimulating cities in the country, with very very few yabancilar around to talk to or commiserate with, and this winter is starting to get to me...

I am loathe to sound like ghost, because I know also how great it can be here. However, this winter has been really rough on me personally (long story involving a now-ex boyfriend, his family, and traditions...among other things) and I'm not sure I can deal with a third one in such an isolated, traditional, conservative area. I am craving cafes where I can sit without men staring at me, or a nice pub or bar, or a bookstore or art gallery or or or... or restaurants that serve something besides kebab and pide and corba. I'm getting tired of men pursuing me because they think I am a foreign fahise, I am tired of the headscarved older women glaring at me for the same reason... Most of the men I am friends with have tried at least once to seduce me and the whole Piece of Meat thing is just getting annoying.

Maybe it is just battle fatigue or culture fatigue, but after 10 years as a foreigner in several countries, I'm tired of being foreign, tired of never really fitting in (and yes, I am learning the lingo, ghost), tired of being rootless.

But then again, I like my job in spite of the yaramazlar, and I love the benefits and the surplus of free time... And I'm not sure I know how to live in Canada anymore or if I'd be bored and frustrated from too much normality. Also, I am so reluctant to leave Cappadocia because it is so lovely and surreal and I do have many friends here.. I have a great fondness for so many things in Turkey but right now I can't seem to find enough of them. It is so cold and dark and my Turkish friends are hibernating...

Maybe it's just winter talking. I feel rather lonely and bored (actually, more like frustrated, stifled) and isolated these days. How are you guys coping with the darkness and the cold? Am I alone in feeling a bit rough? Any suggestions re: renewal or moving onwards or other locations?
FGT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be post-Christmas/New Year/Bayram winter slump.
You could have had enough of small town Turkey.
You could have had enough of Turkey.
You could have had enough of teaching abroad.

What are the alternatives and when do you have to decide? By the time spring comes, and with the promise of a lengthy summer holiday not far off, you may feel like staying where you are. With your qualifications and experience I'm sure you could easily find a good job in larger cities in Turkey where there are plenty of yabancis and more choice of food, entertainment etc. You are also less likely to attract unwelcome attention. Or you could, I'm sure, find a good job in another (?more invigorating) country. You'd always be able to come back to Turkey on a visit.

Whatever the final decision - don't rush into it. Try to think positively if only until your current contract ends. Good luck and keep us informed.
ghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Pros and cons Reply with quote

Yes Yaramaz - one feels for you because we know how much you have invested in Turkey....unfortunately, as many foreigners find out somewhere down the road (usually sooner than later)....you are now finding out that most Turks are fickle, superficial, and many times less than loyal in their dealings with Yabanci like us...reality hits...and it�s not very pleasant.

The advice might be to finish your contract without committing to another year at your Koleji. You will have plenty of time during the summer months to find other work in Turkey, and jobs are not lacking anywhere.

Istanbul might be more interesting for you, but at the end of the day it is still Turkey and you will still run into many of the things which you mentioned as negative.

Your decision is a difficult one, as the benefits for you are quite large (low teaching hours, free accommodation and plenty of holidays, plus savings of up to $500 a month).

In Barcelona and other Spanish cities you have none of the above benefits....the pay is around 800 Euros a month (tops) and you have to rent your own accommodation (around 500 Euros) and feed, dress and transport yourself with the remaining peanuts....

This is the dilemma we are faced with....is it enough to have money and be comfortable with all material needs taken care of (as in Turkey) or is it better to be challenged and work in a more stimulating (albeit poorly paid) environment?

In this poster�s case....Spain will not last...planning to go to Asia within the next two weeks....

Yaramaz, start a job search for other postitions in Turkey and elsewhere and weigh up your options for next year. Keep your nose clean at your Koleji for reference purposes.....

All the best from overpriced Barcelona, Catalunya....
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank all of you who posted and PM'd me in the past day. It has been a rough season and it was a great help and comfort to get such kind and supportive words.

I am still mulling over options, both here and abroad, including Canada. I think I may just be burned out-- not sure if its from teaching or from being a rootless foreign freak. I just realised this year that I will soon be 30 and have never actually had any sort of settled life with my own apartment and friends who don't leave after a few weeks or months, and a job that I like that lasts more than a year or two. I've slept in Ghanaian huts and in London squats, in Cappadocian caves and tents in the kalahari.... but I have never been settled with my own space. I think that is a huge issue here because we are so isolated, because we share with other teachers whether we get along or not (my flatmate acts like I am invisible), because our contracts are only 10 months and we feel temporary, transient....

Ergo, my next question: does any one work for schools that provide single accomodation? Or where the teachers last more than 1 or 2 years ? At 2 years, I am actually abnormal at my school-- most last 6 months to a year because the city is so difficult (did I mention it is dry? with not much entertainment or diversions? Lotsa mosques and tea houses...).

Again, thanks. I didnt expect to get so many PMs-- it was really sweet.
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: single accommodation Reply with quote

Yes - sharing is far from ideal, especially for people who are over 30 and more set in their lifestyle and habits.

Antalya Koleji provides luxury single accommodation in the Lara Apartments. But these apartments are a few kilometres from Antalya Airport and the noise is literally deafening. In addition you need teacher credentials (B.Ed. and or P.G.C.E.) to teach there. ISTEK also provides singles, but you have already talked with Beryl about that.

Most places do not offer single accommodation.

Yes - ESL Teaching in most cases is not a career, but rather a way of life. As one reaches mid. thirty age group above, a certain lassitude sets in, and it �s not easy to get on with a bunch of �twenty something� party animals.

Without any real skills (beyond being a native speaker of English), it is difficult to look forward to a career in other fields. If you want to take the bull by the horns - then you are still young enough (at thirty) to train for a new career, where you will eventually be able to afford the lifestyle and perks you desire.

Inertia is our main enemy in Turkey, because it is so easy to fall into a lazy teaching rut. The ambiance there certainly does not help.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost, I do have other skills: I've only been an English teacher for 3 years (and I do have training for that, not just a one week or one month course) so I have knowledge in other fields. I've been working for 15 years so I do know a thing or two--- I just don't know what to do next.
FGT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in my sixth year at the same school in Izmir, two other teachers have been at the school longer than me and the majority are in their third + year. Out of a staff of 14 only 3 are new this year.

I've been in Izmir eleven years so far and have good friends; fellow teachers, foreigners involved in other fields, and, of course, Turks. I've also made friends here who are now elsewhere in Turkey or further afield. I know what you mean about people coming and going. It can be hard.

My school does not guarantee single accommodation. Free accommodation is provided but this is usually shared. Difficult for people who stay long term, particularly if relatively long in the tooth (my first three years, at another school, were spent in shared accommodation and I arrived aged 35, so I can sympathise). The school does pay a housing allowance if teachers choose to live out, currently 200 million TL a month (almost enough to pay the rent on its own).

A friend used to teach at TED in Ankara and he had single accommodation.
He also enjoyed Ankara but used to pop back to Izmir from time to time for a breather.

If you decide to give Turkey another crack I'm sure you can find something to suit. There are good jobs and there are good places. Don't panic - you don't have to decide rightaway. Good luck again.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Y'all,

I am still working my way through reams of thoughts and possibilities regarding next year ('year' being school year, thus starting in July at a minimum). My mood is elevating somewhat, slowly, as the snow falls and the city actually looks pretty and clean...

Last week I was feeling quite adamant that I wanted to leave Turkey, leave teaching, do something completely different... but now I am not so sure. We had a brilliant party for Valentine's day on Saturday with many many Turkish teachers from the school and it was so much fun--- so much singing and dancing and good food and good wine. This made made me really think about the source(s) of my malaise, my frustration, my blues. They seem to be rooted solidly in the conservative, anti-beauty, anti fun mood of my city, the suspicion about foreigners and foreign women's morals, the surreal and erratic personal politics of the foreigners, and my frustration and sadness from my broken relationship---- things that are not directly related to teaching or to Turkey specifically.

Therefore, I was wondering if you could tell me about your schools, your cities... why are you where you are? How long have you been there? Are you happy? What made you decide to stay or go? Why did you choose your school?

I would love to hear about positive experiences, as well as not so positive.

FGT, I really appreciated your post and PM--- gave me a lot to think about.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaramaz, go to Istanbul. There really is no city like it. I made the mistake of leaving Istanbul two summers ago and there isn't a day when I don't think about it. Luckily my contract is up in 6 weeks time and I will return to Istanbul at the end of March. I can't wait.
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Istanbul for Yaramaz Reply with quote

If Yaramaz moves to Istanbul her social life might improve quite a bit.
However, in most places she will save less money because of the cost of lodging and accommodation. If she does have free lodging she will still need to spend to get around.

Istanbul would be more interesting than Kayseri for sure, but even in Istanbul - what would keep someone there for a long time once you have seen all the obligatory sights and other landmarks? Be careful, because some of the foreigners spoken with claim that Istanbul is overrated and not as attractive as it might appear to the uninitiated.

Izmir, would seem to be a good compromise for Yaramaz, because it is not too big, and there are enough entertainment possibilities to keep you going in your spare time. There is also a Tomer Institute where they will do Saturday classes for foreigners if at least 6 people sign up. Also the weather in Izmir is about as good as you will get in Turkey (except for July and August which are too hot).

Having said all the above, Turkey, paradoxically, gives ESL �teachers� the best deals in Europe in terms of the full package which includes pay and accommodation and benefits. But then once there you have to put up with all the b.s. which all of you know about.

Spain - is a more interesting country, and the people more honest, but teaching conditions make it difficult for people to stay, because it is difficult to save. Many teachers in Spain actually have to pay out of their own pockets to cover some of the costs of teaching there....and that does not make a lot of sense....

If Yaramaz can get admitted to a Masters program at one of the Turkish Universities (many of the courses are taught in English) then she would eventually be eligible to teach in a Turkish University. Some of these programs are heavily subsidized if the teacher agrees to teach some classes at the same time as earning the degree.

Some of the posts in private Universities net around $2000/month with minimal teaching hours and long holidays....if you know someone affiliated to the University your chances of getting in will be greatly increased.
tammy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaramaz,
I worked in Istanbul for a number of months and, although that might not compare with the many years that some people have been there, I had a great time and agree that there's no city quite like it.
It was my first efl job, I was very young and scared as hell about going to a foreign country on my own, so I only signed an initial 6 month contract which finished last September. I came home for a while and was looking forward to going back, but unfortunately the bombings convinced my family otherwise. Sad
There were quite a few teachers at my school who had been in Istanbul for well over a year and many of them are still there now (at the same school).
I'd love to back one day as it was a great experience that was over before I had the chance to really enjoy it. If it's just a change of Turkish scenery you're looking for, then I'd definitely recommend it!
Tammy Very Happy
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's yaramaz update...

I am thinking seriously about making the move to Istanbul come September-- after a lot of serious thought I realised that I really am not ready to leave this country yet, and that a change of scenery and climate and urban temperament may be just what I need. After all, I am not living in a sane, accomodating, easy city as many of you know. My friends in Istanbul, Ankara, etc can't understand why I chose this city in the first place (proximity to Cappadocia is still my firm and heartfelt reply--- I love that place). However, I think I've reached the natural end to my time here and must move on.

I have been offered work at IH Suadiye for next term. Any comments? Any caveats? It appeals to me because of the small class sizes, the adult students, and professional development. They also offer Turkish classes. A huge bonus for me as my learning curve is flattening outb studying on my own...
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that english Time has bought over IH, or is it Interlang, or both? Confused
Byzantine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: IH Suadiye Reply with quote

Yaramaz, IH Suadiye is EXCELLENT!

I worked there for two years. I miss it and Turkey a lot.

Zeynep owns and runs the place. I think they've recently RE-acquired the IH Etiler and may even be expanding to Bakirkoy. If Ben's still the DOS you're set.

The staff at IH Suadiye is great - very friendly and helpful. Bagdat cadessi (sp? My Turkish fades) can be annoyingly trendy, but I liked living on the Asian side. At the end of two years, had I stayed, I think I would have liked to have moved over to the European side.

IH Suadiye isn't a utopia, though - most of the students are really nice, but they do have some corporate accounts that lead to some students who think they want to learn English but don't really want to be there. But hey, that happens everywhere!

Have fun
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byzantine, thanks for the post. Ben is indeed still the DOS, and I met him last year when they hired me the first time... but I turned them down to work here in the Lise another year (a move I dont regret, despite my difficult days). I think I just need a change of scenery.... some sea, some cafes, etc, etc. You never realise how much you need those wee perks until they are conspicuously absent...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: