Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

do the thailand thing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zorro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: do the thailand thing... Reply with quote

i've read some people saying that the wages in bangkok are low, that the standards of living are pretty bad, the accomodation is a dingy one room apartment and that you don't have enough money to ever do anything.

i've got to say that from my experience all of this is pretty exagerated. i lived in bangkok for 18 months and at the beginning found it hard to adjust because everything was so cheap, I had a lovely apartment, a good bunch of mates, a hectic social life and played loads of football.

basically you get out of bangkok what you put in. you can live comfortably on the average wage from a language school of 30,000 baht (not 20,000, don't do it for 20,000). you can easily top this up each month as well with places like go international where you can do extra hours at the weekend, and of course there are privates as well.

i say do it.
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on Thailand. Reply with quote

Hola!

I live in China, but just came back from Thailand and BKK. What I saw of BKK was a vibrant WEALTHY city, especially compared to the capitals of any of its neighboring countries (with the possible exception of Kuala Lampur). I saw people driving nice cars, wearing nice clothes, few beggers. I know these schools can pay at least 400 BHT one hour easily, and I do not live there.

Thailand was great though, I could live and die there.

SENOR
struelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Thailand. Reply with quote

Quote:
Thailand was great though, I could live and die there.

I think we all could, but the question is, can we find work there Smile

My own independent research is showing more leads and optimstic prospects than I originally thought. Doing the CELTA in BKK was one of the best choices I made, in retrospect, that I want to return one day.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: