Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

25000 Kc gross - survival minimum with a zivno?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Oh and one other thing.... Reply with quote

Oh! And one other thing...for those of you currently living in Prague and considering a move back home/or to wherever: be careful about taking Mother Prague for granted...you can get very spoiled living in Prague over time. You will have most likely forgotten about the decidedly harsh realities awaiting you back home per se in Canada...or USA...or UK.

Prague withdrawal is not merely rumor--its FACT!! Shocked

Indeed, as Franz Kafka said long ago, "Mother Prague has clutches"

...you'll find out....mwahahahahahah Twisted Evil
ilugru2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm about to get my business licence in 2 weeks' time, hoorah! On a sadder note, though, the school which I was hoping to work with seem to be a bit less enthusiastic these days and I'm not sure I'll get enough hours from them. So I'm looking for advice - where in CR would you recommend an experienced (6+ years) teacher and Cambridge and IELTS speaking examiner with a zivno to look for a job? I'd rather not compete with newbies in Prague and opt for a smaller/quieter place, like Brno, but I might be wrong here - am I? There's a snag, unfortunately - I'm a non-native speaker and I've been told that the market wants either native speakers or Czechs. Most non-native speakers can't tell me from other English speakers, though, and Americans usually think I'm a Brit Wink
I'm planning to arrive in CR next week and go from door to door to form would-be employers' impressions of me by talking to them rather than send CVs round. What do you think?

Last edited by ilugru2 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your timing is right and your quals sound fine. It also takes some luck these days, though, and that's impossible to predict.

Let me suggest that you add Ceske Budejovice and Pisek to your list of possible job-hunting destinations. Both are on major train lines and off the beaten Prague trails.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that with a Zivno and with talent and motivation it shouldn't be really hard to get a completely full schedule. Everyone starts off small, but work on your skills, network and you should within a year develop a variety of clients (payed via businesses) to exceed the 25,000 mark.

You just have to think of making contacts and promoting/selling yourself as part of your job. Get a regular schedule at a school, but during your free time, network. Brno isn't nearly saturated with teachers like Prague is. I would imagine that with an honest effort you would be able to get a lot of clients.
ilugru2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, spiral78 and Chris. I'm definitely going to do as much as I can and hope it'll all work out.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the list of tips i left on another thread.
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Prague Reply with quote

Prague's full of whores, stag-parties and gypo thieves. Add bloody cold winters, shite pay and people who don't smile...oh and a bunch of 'counter-culture' types who are so out there they only travel to a city full of expats then you're really in for a good time.

On the up side....the beer is good and cheap and the women are cheaper.

Totally overrated. Krakow's better.
mr tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankly, if that's all you gleaned from your time in Prague, YOU're the one who missed out and wasted YOUR time in another country. and we're fine without you, thanks.

3yrs here, never even had a gypsy bother me. yeah i've heard a couple of stories, but i would certainly class Prague as "safe", generally.

stag parties? whores? were you here in 2002? do you know that "things change"? stag parties moved on a while back (good for me, cos it was giving the British man a slightly embarrassing rep), Prague used to be a good cheap option for Brits but the gap has become smaller. hookers can be found but gone are the days when they lined Wenceslas Sq...

shite pay i can't argue, cold winters are hardly a surprise (did someone trick you into thinking you were going to the Caribbean?) and friendly faces can be found plentifully among the locals. maybe try talking to them next time, sharter.
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i lived in prague for a year and can safely say that 25000kr a month is enough for a nice apartment (about 6000kr) and spending on beer (about 20-35kr). try the metro station florenc for good value apartments. stay in josefov and pay more than 25000kr for a 30m2 apartment.
mr tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've flat-hunted twice this year, and i have pretty good local connections... i'd say 6000kc is difficult these days. you can probably find something decent for 8000kc max tho (bills inclusive). that'd be a roomshare... i don't know about 1-person places, they're not so common among my social circle... i'd have thought you're looking at 10000kc per month there at least

(btw i have a nearly 30m2 room, 5mins from Karlovo Namesti, 3-person flat, 6700kc each per month all-inclusive Cool )
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ye, forgot to say, 6000kr for a room - not a flat - but as you said, probs 8000kr these days.

and ye, karlovo namesti is pretty good, i had a few mates who stayed there, closer to the centre, but then again, florenc is pretty close too.

some cool nightlife in the north - away from the touristy bars etc..
thesteve

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Usually don't earn that much Reply with quote

Mercury Morris wrote:
25k ck is unusually high earnings in Prague. Most ESL teachers at the schools earn around 15,000 czk/month, which fluctuates widely depending on holidays, students cancelling, etc.

Further in Brno you will earn much less than in Prague...I would guess 10-12,000 czk. But cost of living will be cheaper too.

Nobody earns 25,000 czk teaching ESL in Czech...unless they own the school! Laughing

BZZT wrong.

My 9 years there I made between 22-30k czk a month and I was NOT killing myself doing it. I dont know where you get your pay rates or a lot of your information from, but they are wrong, sorry.
johnnyappleseed

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you can make that much or more on a z-list, but when you take the summer into account, it averages a bit less for most people.
mr tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Usually don't earn that much Reply with quote

[quote="thesteve"]BZZT wrong.

My 9 years there I made between 22-30k czk a month and I was NOT killing myself doing it. I dont know where you get your pay rates or a lot of your information from, but they are wrong, sorry.[/quote]

is your information current? we're on a bit of a downswing here...
taylor.1988

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last post appears to be recent, so i ask:

1) is the market still tight as ever at the mo?

2) how much more difficult is it for someone of Asian appearance to find a lang school job than non-asian? lol... doesnt have to be prague

I currently hold a Trinity TESOL cert + 2 yrs uni ESOL/IELTS teaching exp with a degree in Eng/Lang teaching

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: