Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Documents needed to teach in Colombia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kramer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Documents needed to teach in Colombia Reply with quote

I am considering taking the CELTA course in Bogota later this year and then attempting to get a job teaching English in Colombia. This would be my first time teaching. I will be in the USA for around a month starting in a couple of weeks and then going to live in Colombia so I want to take this opportunity to gather the documentation that I will need.

I believe that I will need to get my Bachelor's Degree apostilled. Can someone confirm this? I am still researching how to do it. Also, I have a Master's Degree. Should I get it apostilled, also? Should I carry original degrees with me or request copies from the universities? I am assuming I will not need transcripts.

Will I need anything else? I will be in California where I earned both of my degrees (even though I am a Texas resident, if that matters). I want to use this opportunity to get done whatever needs to get done to both earn the CELTA and get a teaching job in Colombia as I may not be returning to the USA for some time.

Thanks, Kramer
jebedu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kramer,

I will be in a similar situation. I am going to Ecuador to get CELTA certified, then I plan on heading up to Bogota. What did you end up bringing for documentation, and did you get your Bachelor's Degree apostilled?

Thanks,
Justin
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey y'all, when I was doing all of this I didn't need to get anything apostilled. Just bring your original degrees.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is required depends a lot on who your school is and who they know. you should be able to get a list of "official" requirements from the website of any colombian embassy.

it's probably a good idea to have original copies of your degree and teaching certification, but I've applied for the visa twice and wasn't asked for an apostille either time. The second time I applied, I don't think I was asked for anything other than my passport and the documents your employer needs to provide, like the contract and certificado de proporcionalidad (though to be fair, the second time I applied things were a lot easier since the administrator for the school I work for has a cousin who is a consul in Maracaibo and the father of a kid at the school is the consul in Tachira). Working for well connected people or a school that will pay for a lawyer to help with the process makes things go much smoother.
Woodman09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have a degree. Only a recomendation letter from a school i volunteered at and a confirmation letter from Southern Cross in Ecuador for my Celta. I got my visa after working at IH Bogota for 2 months. Didn't need have any other documents. It Was alot easier than I thought it would be
Woodman09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodman09 wrote:
I didn't have a degree. Only a recomendation letter from a school i volunteered at and a confirmation letter from Southern Cross in Ecuador for my Celta. I got my visa after working at IH Bogota for 2 months-- I think I got lucky because there are alot of teachers I know who didn't geta visa and had to go home.
MNguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodman09 wrote:
I didn't have a degree. Only a recomendation letter from a school i volunteered at and a confirmation letter from Southern Cross in Ecuador for my Celta. I got my visa after working at IH Bogota for 2 months. Didn't need have any other documents. It Was alot easier than I thought it would be

Your experience was quite different from mine, good for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: