Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online teaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzuri wrote:
I'm puzzled by inotu-unotme's experience with ISUS.

I've worked with ISUS since January 2013.

The actual cost for the U.S. residence doc is $85. Form 8802.

The 1:1 sessions are uniformly 25 minutes or 50 minutes. I am unaware of this "clocking in" business mentioned.

I conduct 99% of my sessions via Skype (audio) - on my end. Sometimes I'm using my Skype to call a fixed phone line; sometimes I'm calling Skype-to-Skype. Depending on the country I'm calling I might call a student's mobile. I am reimbursed monthly for the Skype calling plan I need to subscribe to for the countries where my students are located.

With rare exception, I've had excellent support from the ISUS staff. In fact, the company assigns a mentor to each new teacher to ensure a quality experience for new teachers and their students.

I get paid for sessions in which students fail to cancel at least 12 hours in advance.

The going rate is 10 euros per hour.

I select the schedule I want with the expectation that I don't fiddle with it frequently, as students' contracts run for up to a year at a time.

The advantages I enjoy are:
    No time spent in commuting
    No commuting costs
    No meal expenses incurred because I'm away from base
    Very little bureaucratic hassle
    No worries about weather while commuting
    No expectation of extra-curricular activities that I must volunteer my time for
    My students are a pleasure to work with
    I have students assigned to me, and I can see our appointments for the entirety of their contract
    There is an inventory of lesson plans I can choose from, so little time is necessary to develop my own

All in all - a sweet deal.

I am glad someone responded from ISUS...

Remember I stated, 'The form for residency actually costs about $100.00 dollars..." I simply rounded it up.

The mentor which was assigned to me was just not working.
It does not mean all mentors don't work.
It only means mine was not working to an extreme.

As for teaching the classes I was told skype to skype teaching was simply never allowed.
Now if its different I would not know.
Monchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: ISUS English Tutoring Company - Questions Reply with quote

Hi Mzuri: Thanks for responding. I'm wondering if you could answer a couple of quick questions?

1. Does ISUS take care of the scheduling and FAQs for students? For instance, is there a lot of back and forth communication between you and the student (in unpaid time) determining the time to meet and describing your tutoring style ? I am working with a site right now where this is happening and I'm spending a lot of time communicating with students about scheduling and how the program works without getting paid.

2. Also, would ISUS consider hiring me if I can only work 10 hours per week (absolute max 12)?

3. Also, I hate to ask this, but do you have an idea about the starting rate of pay? I do have previous ESL experience... not sure if some some experience helps with determining the rate of pay.

Thank you again for any thoughts on this matter. I really appreciate it!

mzuri wrote:
I'm puzzled by inotu-unotme's experience with ISUS.

I've worked with ISUS since January 2013.

The actual cost for the U.S. residence doc is $85. Form 8802.

The 1:1 sessions are uniformly 25 minutes or 50 minutes. I am unaware of this "clocking in" business mentioned.

I conduct 99% of my sessions via Skype (audio) - on my end. Sometimes I'm using my Skype to call a fixed phone line; sometimes I'm calling Skype-to-Skype. Depending on the country I'm calling I might call a student's mobile. I am reimbursed monthly for the Skype calling plan I need to subscribe to for the countries where my students are located.

With rare exception, I've had excellent support from the ISUS staff. In fact, the company assigns a mentor to each new teacher to ensure a quality experience for new teachers and their students.

I get paid for sessions in which students fail to cancel at least 12 hours in advance.

The going rate is 10 euros per hour.

I select the schedule I want with the expectation that I don't fiddle with it frequently, as students' contracts run for up to a year at a time.

The advantages I enjoy are:
    No time spent in commuting
    No commuting costs
    No meal expenses incurred because I'm away from base
    Very little bureaucratic hassle
    No worries about weather while commuting
    No expectation of extra-curricular activities that I must volunteer my time for
    My students are a pleasure to work with
    I have students assigned to me, and I can see our appointments for the entirety of their contract
    There is an inventory of lesson plans I can choose from, so little time is necessary to develop my own

All in all - a sweet deal.
mzuri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zugora,

Unless I'm missing something in today's questions, all of the answers are in the text you quoted.
Monchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mzuri,

Sorry, I missed the part about the rate of pay. Thank you. I'm actually wondering if you can elaborate on 2 things, as I didn't see it covered in your previous post. Those 2 things are:

1. Assignments: You mentioned that students are "assigned to you", so does that mean you don't have communication with them prior to the lesson? For instance, is there back and forth communication between you and the student (in unpaid time) determining the time to meet and describing your tutoring style ? I am working with a site right now where this is happening and I'm spending a lot of time communicating with students about scheduling and how the program works without getting paid.

2. Expected Number of Hours Per Week: Would ISUS consider hiring me if I can only work 10 hours per week (absolute max 12)?

Thank you again for your helpful information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: