Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA at FE College

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrotherTaff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: CELTA at FE College Reply with quote

It looks like I'll be in the UK fairly soonish and I want to teach English there so I've been looking at job postings on Gumtree and stuff. From what I gather, I'll need at least a CELTA certificate to land a job in London come this Autumn. Does anyone know anything about getting a CELTA from a FE college there?
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my Celta at an FE college - in the south but not in London and on a part time basis over about 5 months (ISTR). It then helped me get some temporary summer schoolwork at the same college, although for their full time staff they wanted people with greater experience.
BrotherTaff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. How much did it cost you? Did you get any assistance from the government?
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remember the full list cost but I got it paid for as I was unemployed and it was regarded as retraining. It only applies to certain benefits but I really can't remember the full details, sorry. As rules change it's probably better to do up-to-date research.

edit for typo
coledavis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least a couple of FE colleges do it, West London College in Hammersmith and Westminster Kingsway College. If you go to the CELTA web site you may find more. There is no way that anyone gets government assistance for TEFL training: it's not exactly a shortage area. The best you could get would be a loan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: