Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it good to be American in CR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you let people know you're American while traveling in Costa Rica?
Always
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Usually
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Sometimes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rarely
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

justenanderson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Is it good to be American in CR? Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I will be leaving for CR in June and I've been advised by some people to say that I am from somewhere other than America (i.e. Canada, Australia, etc) for safety's sake. We're both Caucasian so we certainly won't pass as locals.

What are your thoughts on this? Are Americans more heavily targeted for abduction or robbery than non-Americans?
PuraVidas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieves target everyone. Just use your head and don't flash lots of cash, iPhones and laptops around. There is no need to lie about where you are from.
sarahg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard about abductions in Costa Rica -- when I was there, or when watching the news from the US. In any case, it's good to be American in a country where kidnapping is a problem, because the American govt does not pay ransoms or negotiate with kidnappers -- high profile people, business people, or people from countries that do negotiate are targeted.

If you're western-looking, you're a target for theft. If you're white and obviously on vacation, you probably have money and pricey gadgets, and that's as far as it goes. Don't flash your stuff around and don't assume that ANYTHING is too cheap to worry about. I had cheap rubber flip flops stolen off the beach while I was surfing. Not a big financial loss, but it was a pain walking back to my room barefoot. That's the sort of crime you have to worry about in CR, not any sort of high profile kidnapping rings.

I did notice that telling people I'm from California got a better reaction than telling them I was American. Not that saying I was American ever got a bad reaction, but as soon as I said "California" or "San Diego" they'd get excited and ask if I surf or speak Spanish.
Elkythedogsperson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are responding to paranoia that developed since Iraq-Afghanistan wars and anti-American sentiments grew around 2003. I've lived abroad since 2006 in Mexico, Costa Rica and currently Southeast Asia. Visited CR 4 times since 2003, and lived there for 8 months.

No, don't live a lie. Be yourself. In Costa Rica, Americans are appreciated as are all honest people.

Best advice is to learn Spanish as well you can, be humble and just learn to blend into local culture. Don't be rude or demanding; don't expect things to be "the way we do things at home". Treat Ticos and Ticas well, and they will do the same.

People will be happy to hear your stories from home. Be relaxed and tell them when asked.
justenanderson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your feedback. I used to be in the military and so we had quite a bit of the anti-terrorism stuff drilled into our heads.

Aside from Anti-American sentiment, I know that human trafficking (particularly sex trafficking) is a growing problem in many third-world countries. Petty crime or robbery doesn't concern me, having my girlfriend abducted (or being abducted myself) for ransom, organ removal or some form of slavery DOES concern me. I know these aren't prevalent problems in Costa Rica, but I know that it happens else where.
Elkythedogsperson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-evalaute your use of term third world country. For one, it comes comes from outdated cold war era terminology. Nowdays, it may relate to a severely impovrished nation..Somalia, Yemen, Haiti maybe. Costa Rica isn't close to third world. Granted, you will see things that seem far different than USA, but don't ever tell any Tico you're in a Third-world country. Big insult to them.

Sex crime, abduction or slavery doesn't affect ex-pats as much as it does local citizens, and CR is probably lower than USA. Unfortunately, it does occur in Mexico and Central America but CR is overall safe.

Dude, you're stressing too much. Might I suggest you check out http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=12&keywordid=220 for their CR branch. Mostly tourist stuff, but good advice there.

Don't even think you're going to a third-word country by saying you're going to Costa Rica.

And then chill out a bit...CR is a lovely country with very good people. Make friends and you will be safe. You will have a good time. Pura Vida.
justenanderson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too worried about CR, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not being naive. We plan on traveling quite a bit over the next few years and I want to be aware of the worst-case scenarios, rather than to go into a country blind. If I thought CR wasn't safe we probably wouldn't be going.

I can't wait to get down there!
sarahg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't call Costa Rica a third-world country once you're there. They have an average lifespan and literacy rate to rival the US and are very proud of their stable, developed country. You'll offend a lot of people if you take on the attitude that you are in a third-world country.

Also, I have just never heard of those things happening in CR. You're safer there than in most of the US. Just make friends with the locals and they will tell you if something is risky or someone is shady. There's a good police presence, though in smaller towns you may need to speak Spanish to communicate with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: