Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Visa - Ours or Theirs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Work Visa - Ours or Theirs? Reply with quote

If you prematurely leave the company that sponsored you the work visa, are you able to pick up other teaching work with the visa? I know this is the case in Japan, where the employee owns the work visa, as opposed to Taiwan or Korea where the employer has the power.

So what is the situation in Indonesia?

If it is the employer that owns the visa (my feeling) and an employee were to quit or be sacked, how would one go about finding another job in Indonesia with regards to the visa situation?
drgonzo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: visa Reply with quote

I may be mistaken, but I am almost positive that the school holds the Visa, and you can only work for them.
If you quit or get let go you would have a short amount of time before your kitas would be revoked. Even if you found another school to sponsor your visa, I am pretty sure that you would have to do a visa run out of the country and come back either on a new kitas or a tourist visa.
I have heard of a couple of teachers who were let go, but managed to convince the school to allow them to keep their kitas. Then they have the time to find a new job or work part-time. This method is, of course, illegal, but is possible.
Like I said, I could be mistaken. Visa rules there are constantly changing. That is the way that I remember it.
ls650

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Work Visa - Ours or Theirs? Reply with quote

rayman wrote:
If you prematurely leave the company that sponsored you the work visa, are you able to pick up other teaching work with the visa? So what is the situation in Indonesia?
If it is the employer that owns the visa (my feeling) and an employee were to quit or be sacked, how would one go about finding another job in Indonesia with regards to the visa situation?

The school's name is on the visa, so if you get canned, the school goes to immigration and asks that your visa be revoked. This takes some time, a couple weeks at least. After it is revoked you are treated like a tourist and have 30 days to leave the country. (Used to be 60)

You can always look for work with another school , then fly to Singapore to pick up a new work visa...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: