Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thinking of teaching in Bogota
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilyd86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: thinking of teaching in Bogota Reply with quote

Hi all!

This is my first post here. I have been out of college for nearly a year now, and I just finished my CELTA at NY Teaching House a week and a half ago. I have been debating whether to stay and teach in NYC for the summer or whether to move immediately to Colombia and try and find work.

From what I hear, the top hiring seasons in Colombia are Jan/Feb and August. But I have also talked to someone who worked there for 16 months who said that I can move pretty much any time and with my CELTA, will be in very high demand at colegios and places like IH Bogota.

I speak fluent Spanish, so I figure that can only help me find a job.
In your opinion, would the smarter move be to move to Bogota now, or to wait until the supposed "peak hiring season" in August? What are my chances of finding employment around this time? Also, is the better move to try and job search/network while in New York, or is it better to be in the city to find work? I have heard it is much easier to just show up and go from there, but my trainers at Teaching House seemed to think finding a job pre-departure was the smarter move.

Thanks for the answers in advance! I have never taught abroad so sorry if they are a bit basic Smile
jdealla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emily,

I have just set myself up here in Colombia. I did my CELTA at IH in Bogot�. Got some good friends there, did a hell of a lot of job searching. If you want to talk to me about it, send me an e-mail. I am hesitant to put my e-mail on this board but you can do it through my website. Here is the link: http://www.somosamericanos.com/p/contact.html I'd be happy to answer questions.

John
omansk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Emily,

I'm in the same situation you are. I just graduated college, and I'm also looking to teach in Colombia. Did I mention that I'm also from NY? Cool Maybe we chat sometime or something!

Kate
MNguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jdealla, I sent you a message through you homepage. I'm arriving next week.
emilyd86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omansk, yes we should talk some time! I'm guessing you don't want to post where in the city you are here, can you send Private Messages yet? I think I might stay in the city for the summer (just got a non-teaching job) but I definitely want to head south no later than August/Sept. When are you planning on going down?
pies_flotando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: this summer Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm Jessica! I noticed that some people are going down to Colombia in the summer. I am planning to go there as well, around late July/August. I'm from California and have never been to South America. I would totally appreciate it if any of the people that are going for sure could share some information!
CountBassD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to be in Bogota in August/September as well. Depending on how I feel there and what opportunities present themselves I'll start heading south to Ecuador and eventually Peru. Anyone else thinking of heading south from Bogota?
Bethie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys!

I will be taking the CELTA in September via Bridgetelf in Bogota. I have been an accountant for the past 8 years. I'm in dire need of a change. I have never traveled in SA and I don't know a lick of Spanish. I hope I can survive.

Would any of yall be interested in meeting up for drinks in August/September? ahahaha I'm serious. Laughing
CountBassD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethie, how long will you be in Bogota? Any plans to travel to teach elsewhere in Colombia/South America after finishing?

As for drinks, I'm definitely in!
Bethie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countbass,

I plan to teach in Bogota soon after I receive my certification and I am open to teaching elsewhere in SA. I have been fantasizing about getting 3-6 month contracts and just move from country to country and then perhaps settling down in a favorite country for longer contracts. Actually....after researching this forum, I probably will not get "contracts". I will just work illegally or whatever for 3-6 months in each country. I�m unsure of the feasibility of my plan but I shall find out soon. Oh and I definitely to want experience Ecuador and Peru.

I can�t pm you yet as I haven�t posted enough. Are you on facebook? We are getting drinks!

Please post some more details of your plan.
MNguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bethie--

Kudos for giving Colombia a chance, you will love it. Learning Spanish should be a priority though, even if a Colombian has some English, they are hesitant to use it in my experience.

With a CELTA a a four-year degree shouldn't have any problem finding work, especially if you're not too concerned about a visa and only want to stay the allotted 180-day standard tourist visa.

I'm a couple of hours outside of Bogota, but if / when you make it here let me know, I'd be happy to share some aguardiamente (sp?) with you!
Bethie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNguy,

Firewater!! I like it!

So you arrived in Colombia the end of March? Tell me about your experience so far please. How is your Spanish?
MNguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been great so far. I am living with the family of an exchange student who had lived with my cousin in the US for a year, so I really kind of lucked out with that.

My Spanish sucks, but I am working hard to become at least conversational, it really is necessary here.

I got out to the Universities and Institutes my second day here and was offered a job within a week, though not a dream gig, it'll do for now and I'm still pounding the pavement looking for something better.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my email address if you have more questions, anxieties, etc.
emilyd86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, so many of us! I had an interview earlier this week with a colegio in Cali, I haven't been hired yet, but if I am, the job starts in mid-August. I would love to meet up with you all!
pies_flotando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: pa' colombia Reply with quote

Hey! So I noticed some other people are going in August. I will be doing my training in Baranquilla, will anyone else be in that area? It's my first time EVER going to South America! I am so excited but nervous...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: