Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferring Funds Overseas- Any Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markustm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Transferring Funds Overseas- Any Advice Reply with quote

I am relatively new to Vietnam, and currently stay in Hanoi.

- My Vietnamese Bank cannot transfer overseas.
- Western Union want proof of were I received the funds

During the last few days, I have had difficulties trying to transfer funds to another Asian country, and wonder what the best way to transfer money is from Hanoi?.

Any advice will be welcome.
Danaa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring Funds Overseas- Any Advice Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
- My Vietnamese Bank cannot transfer overseas.
- Western Union want proof of were I received the funds

During the last few days, I have had difficulties trying to transfer funds to another Asian country, and wonder what the best way to transfer money is from Hanoi?.

Why can't your bank transfer funds overseas?

You need tax records and pay slips and a letter of employment from your school/company stating your are earning the money legally and paying taxes.
jb0072009

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a royal pain to transfer funds overseas as stated. Personally I wait until I go to Thailand for a trip and then use Western Union there (they are not so crazy). I do not deposit any more money into my Viet bank account then is needed, I keep most at my pad in dollars
The Fat Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a BIDV bank, it's worked for me many times. however, you'll need a copies of your work contract, important passport pages, and a recent payslip. As well, you'll need to bring USD to the bank, so exchange somewhere else before you go. Lastly, there's a western union fee, which also needs to be paid in USD. prepare your photocopies in advance, and don't try to pay for any part of the transaction in VND. USD for everything.

BIDV bank.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Money overseas Reply with quote

1. Open a bank account with a VISA debit card attached to the account at any Vietnamese bank.
2. When you go overseas, raid the ATM with your credit card.

If you have bills etc to pay overseas, get 2 cards, one in the name of a trusted friend/relative, and send to that friend/relative.
Get that friend/relative to take the money out of the ATM and pay the bills.

It works- Its not pretty, but it works.
AJR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: paypal? Reply with quote

I wonder if one could pay into a paypal account from your VN bank account? This or some other digital transfer must be possible I am thinking, especially if you have a Visa debit card.
jb0072009

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: paypal? Reply with quote

AJR wrote:
I wonder if one could pay into a paypal account from your VN bank account? This or some other digital transfer must be possible I am thinking, especially if you have a Visa debit card.

Nope Paypal will not accept cards from Vietnam. I know I tried before when buying something online. Xoom use to but they stopped as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: