Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to find a job in France?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
julieoapw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Comenius Language Assistants Reply with quote

And this is a slightly different Assistant programme for British people, degree not necessarily required:
http://www2.britishcouncil.org/home/learning/socrates/socrates-higher-education/socrates-he-opportunities-for-students/socrates-he-become-a-comenius-language-assistant.htm
lostinparis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks julie, for beating me to the punch on the assistant program.

note that you don't even have to go through the British Council to become an assistant in France. Since Brits (and others from the UK) are from the EU, you can actually just go to any Acad�mie of your choice and apply directly (contracts are usually longer this way).

If you're interested in this route, try this website:
http://www.education.gouv.fr/systeme_educatif/academie/default.htm

cheers
go2guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught for 4 years in the Lyon area. I'm a Canadian with a British passport so my "American" accent was often a plus in landing gigs. Great opportunities to be had all around the Lyon area. Places like IDRAC, ECE and the universities are worth trying first. I especially recommend ECE (Ecole de Commerce Europeene). Phil Deulhoume and his staff are great people to work with. Lots of autonomy in terms of designing your courses and they pay very well. If you put something together that keeps the kids interested Phil will give you as many hours as he can (there is a limit because he can only hire you as a "vacataire", if he exceeds the limit he gets into the danger of having to hire you as a full-time employee. Gotta love French labour law!). Lots of corporate teaching around too -- English International, GoCom and the CCIVB in Villefranche are the leaders in this area. All in all, if you can grin & bear the French "burr"eaucracy and other setting-up nonsense at the beginning, there's no reason why a reasonably articulate, intelligent, personable guy or gal can't make out quite well in this market. I did!
daily chai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the encouraging & helpful posts in this thread. It's great when we all get together to help one another. Smile
Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. I may very well be using some of this information in the not too distant future.

Shaman
Littlebird

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: How can I get a job in France ? Reply with quote

An A level in French is required for the Socrates program.

Went to the site you mentioned LostinParis didn't understand it - perhaps that means I can't do it !! Says you need BAC+2/3 years so I suppose a degree and a Postgraduate diploma is good enough but what about teaching experience and qualifications. DOn't you need those ? I'm also worried about my level of francais.

How long did it take you guys to become fluent in French ? What was your level when you arrived ?

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: