Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What TEFL qualifications do you have, if any?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What TEFL qualifications do you have if any?
Degree in (Applied) Linguistics (or far more than 100 hrs of formal training)
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Cambridge ELT Certificate (CELTA)
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Trinity College Certificate in TESOL (CertTESOL)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
TEFL Certificate Course - Classroom (approx 100 hrs with or w/out observed teaching))
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
TEFL Certificate course - Online
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Private Language School Training (less than 100 hrs)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other certification (have I missed something?)
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
None
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 35

LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: What TEFL qualifications do you have, if any? Reply with quote

What TEFL qualifications do you have if any? In China, a degree suffices for most teaching jobs but how many of you do have some sort of qualifications?
Von Dut

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my TESOL cert from Oxford Seminars.
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive put other as I cant choose more than one option ....

I started with an online cert of 40 hours with an added business english module. (waste of time and money).

I have a Trinity cert TESOL from St Giles International.

And also ... a Diploma in English Language Studies from the Open University. This was 2 x 9 month modules, the first of which was 'exploring the English language' the second, 'English grammar in context'. Not as advanced as a Masters....but I guess it does qualify as related under grad studies.

I do want a DELTA...thats my next goal really.
Ariadne

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TESOL certificate from a US university. It took three quarters and I earned 27 university credits. The program included a 40 hour practicum, and that included supervised teaching. (The Masters program there required the same classes but had an additional requirement of a thesis.) The university had a foreign language requirement for admission to the TESOL course.. they thought it was sensible for people to have some first hand experience of the difficulties involved in learning a foreign language.

I had two years of teaching experience in Japan before getting the TESOL and I've been teaching in China 5 years since getting the cert. I think the certificate helped me get hired. I also did two AA degrees (years after getting my BA.. backwards, I know). I think they helped me too, because they demonstrated my interest in education and provided additional skills.

That being said, I also think luck and timing play a huge role in getting hired. If your application hits the desk right when they need someone, you may well be offered a job that a better qualified person was not offered because their application arrived (and was discarded) when the school wasn't hiring or the FAO was having a bad day.

Lobster

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a post-grad ESL certificate received for 2 years of full-time university ESL training (about 2,500+ hours); a combination of upper-level education and applied linguistics courses. I could have received my provincial teaching certificate after another 6 months' PDP, but I never wanted to teach in a public school. I regret not getting it now because it would have opened doors at international schools.

RED
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to do just that this fall. In a year, I'll have a teacher's degree so more options will be available. Given your education, I'm surprised they wont' let you teach in an international school.
El Macho

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masters in ELT; undergrad degree in modern language and TESL.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Macho wrote:
Masters in ELT; undergrad degree in modern language and TESL.

El Macho, (or anyone with more than 100 hrs of formal TEFL) given your qualifications, what's the support you're getting from the staff at your school (assuming you're teaching at one).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: