Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NIC Changes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: NIC Changes Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/9816473/State-pension-changes-Workers-misled-over-National-Insurance.html
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That extra 5 years of contributions will probably deal the death blow to many a TEFLer's dream of getting a (full) state pension.

Even in the Gulf, precious few TEFLers under the age of 50 bother to keep their payments up.

Being a fastidious old fart, I, however, am not one of them.
massiveg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dread to thing what will happen to TEFLers who are not in the Gulf.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Poorhouse awaits. Indoor relief from the Poor Law Union.
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguably the only decent financial advice I ever received was to resume making my NI payments three years after arriving in Asia. So, at least I might get something in the way of a pension. It won't be much - but better than nothing. Assuming I make it to 66 (or is it 67?), that is.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Parrot wrote:
That extra 5 years of contributions will probably deal the death blow to many a TEFLer's dream of getting a (full) state pension.

Even in the Gulf, precious few TEFLers under the age of 50 bother to keep their payments up.

Being a fastidious old fart, I, however, am not one of them.

That's putting things somewhat pessimistically.

The current rules are thirty years of payments required to qualify for a full state pension, which is currently �107.45 a week. This doesn�t mean those with twenty-nine years, for example, will get nothing. They would get 29/30 of the full state pension.

The minimum number of years to qualify for any state pension payments is ten.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

If you go to the link above and enter 10 years of NI payments, you see a weekly pension of �46.56. Twenty years gives a figure of �82.38.

So, it�s still worth paying UK NI even if you�ve no chance of qualifying for the full thirty (or thirty-five) years. For about �626 a year of voluntary contributions, you will get the above payments for the rest of your life. You only have to live four to five years after retirement to start making a profit. You won�t find a better value pension anywhere.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

That's putting things somewhat pessimistically.

The current rules are thirty years of payments required to qualify for a full state pension, which is currently �107.45 a week. This doesn�t mean those with twenty-nine years, for example, will get nothing. They would get 29/30 of the full state pension.

The minimum number of years to qualify for any state pension payments is ten.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

If you go to the link above and enter 10 years of NI payments, you see a weekly pension of �46.56. Twenty years gives a figure of �82.38.

So, it�s still worth paying UK NI even if you�ve no chance of qualifying for the full thirty (or thirty-five) years. For about �626 a year of voluntary contributions, you will get the above payments for the rest of your life. You only have to live four to five years after retirement to start making a profit. You won�t find a better value pension anywhere.

I don't know if your comments are directed towards me, but if they are, (1) you'll see I said '(full) state pension', and (2) you're preaching to the converted. I'm quite up on the regulations for pension contributions - having back paid 11 years of missing contributions before a window of opportunity closed 4 or 5 years ago.

The joke is that many of the TEFLers who dismiss the state pension as a fool's gamble are the very same people whose only hope of an income in retirement is the state pension.

In my book, it should be seen as nothing more than some extra pocket money.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisng how many there are out there who have no idea of NICs and what they are !
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a lot of TEFLers in KSA pop off before 65. Booze is often a contributory factor.
massiveg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, obesity, lack of exercise and misery. Still retiring to a council flat and poverty in Scotland is little better.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some prefer to surround themselves with lady-boys and alkies in Chiang Mai.
massiveg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Bulgaria and bust Reply with quote

So you say. Never been but I could afford it unlike you.
Shroob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing what has happened to my parents' (who scrimped, saved and forewent many of life's luxuries) pension/retirement plans.... I've no urge to make sure I make my full contributions. It seems that those who were/are reckless with their money get rewarded while those who actually save get punished.

Who knows what the U.K. will be like when I reach retirement age (another 40 years or so), but I've little confidence in the government's pension scheme.
massiveg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poverty it is then
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: