Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Scotland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: TEFL Scotland Reply with quote

Who ARE these people ? They claim to be a recruitment agency but when you try to get a job through them they try to sell you a course !
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl. Are they gonna place me in a Scottish university if ah take ther course? I'll bite;-)

My preference, by the way, is Edinburgh.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, they're primarily a course provider (presumably for wannabe teachers in Scotland) who they then send to locations overseas. I get the impression it's more for entry-level teachers rather than seasoned professionals.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joking. Was.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the free TEFL Starter kit worth 75 quid! Can I can I can I?!
Kitkat Biriyani

Location: New Venkatanarasimharajuvaripea, Missouri, USA, Q!Q!QQQ!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Tefl Scotland Reply with quote

They are a breakaway from the leeds based company i-to-i, offering 20 hr week-end introductory courses throughout Scotland, to potential tefl teachers. Like i-to-i they may be looked down upon by some but they don't profess to be offering Celta style courses - just introductory. Enjoy the week-end course, sure tefl is for you, want to give it a go, can afford it, then go ahead and do a Celta/trinity tesol course at a later date.

I can vouch that they are good for what they are.
And if they can afford to pay their instructors £515 a week-end/a course.
Not bad at all.

Ex-instructor
i-to-i
paid my way through university
Wink
Courses are held in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness hotels
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celta is already an introductory course. So, this TEFL Scotland is an introductory introductory course?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA) is an introductory course for candidates who have little or
no previous English language teaching experience.

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/images/21816-celta-syllbus.pdf
Kitkat Biriyani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Just introduce yourself for 20hrs... Reply with quote

Something along those lines then
Just introducing the introduction
of an introductory course
before moving on to the next part
No reintroduction necessary there
Saves time
Just collect your £515 wages
And move onto the following week-end course
Of intros......
Easy life
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy life for the instructors. Not so for the trainees, perhaps. Not to mention the unfortunate language learners.

Smacks of a scam to me, no different to any other cowboy outfit. Sorry.
Kitkat Biriyani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Jambo Bwana Wei Wei komimba ...sound like a scam now.. ;-) Reply with quote

No it's not a scam.....just what they say they are; no hidden agenda, offering an intensive 20hr week-end course; 11hrs sat/9hrs sun - good experienced competent instructors RSA/CELTA, DELTA qualified - costs the trainees if I remember about £180 but because it is done in Scotland, any course for developing your employment prospects, if I remember correctly, gets an 80% discount - as I said with i-to-i, it may be looked down upon by some - it is only a week-end course where you come away with "their" certification - of course it doesn't make you a 'teacher' after 20hrs (with maximum 20minutes team 'teaching practice' to native speakers - and a few Glaswegians for added authenticity). Complete the course.... no pass/no fail then the company will assist the "trainees" in finding work around the world and that's where your teaching comes from - gaining experience from within the classroom, just like all the successful Celta candidates do.

As for the cheating/short-changing the language learners, well you get a whole load of crap and incompetent "teachers" with decades of teaching/classroom experience backed up by a whole variety of "genuine/legitimate" qualifications - classroom experience is the start to building your teaching career; knowing your stuff and being able to make it interesting also helps - it is all about how the individual teacher goes about delivering his/her lesson.

Tefl Scotland and i-to-i are scamming no-one.... just help people/potential teachers to see if they are suited to a possible career in tefl without first forking out £1,000 on a course they may not be interested in or may fail....a lot of money to throw away....

This way they get to possibly check out the tefl world for a year or two before committing to the RSA Celta/trinity tesol

Perhaps there are past candidates out there who can comment on what I have said.....for or against...

It's just an alternative route into tefl but very limited, to which nobody is under any illusions of grandeur or false pretences.

As you said, it is an "introductory introductory course" to the world of tefl.
Kitkat Biriyani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Based in DINGWALL not LAGOS...!! Reply with quote

Simple....
if unsure about teaching English as a job/career
If unsure about living/working abroad
If unsure about committing to a full-time four week "introductory" course
If unable to afford the £1,000 for the RSA Celta/trinity tesol
but think tefl could possibly be for you
Then why not put aside one weekend and try this course
You may have fun
You may enjoy it
It may answer your uncertainties
And it will cost you £40 (80% discount in Scotland )
Not much to lose
Possibly a lot to gain

Maybe I should reapply for a job
What would I do with my Qatari pet camel in Dingwall
Sad

Last edited by Kitkat Biriyani on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kitkat Biriyani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Tefl Scotland... Reply with quote

Scot47
Try asking them next time for an "instructors post"
Running their week-end courses, not partaking in them.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I am not convinced by any of this. Fork out 180 quid for a weekend course. Then cert in hand, invest more cash into flying off to some location to actually teach? Thinking that you have had some sort of preparation?

The Celta catches a lot of flak for being just one month long, but really...? One weekend? That will train nobody at all to do anything in a classroom.
Kitkat Biriyani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: 20hr course only.... Reply with quote

That's right - what can you learn in simply 20 hours..
Just gives them a very brief insight into tefl
At the end of it no-one is under the illusion that they are now a qualified teacher - hahaha... Yes ridiculous - everyone is fully aware of that.

And if still interested the company then helps with job placements; South Korea and South America I remember being the main places.

This is nothing more than introducing tefl to people who may be interested in this line of work.

Shxt....there are still a few countries/places around the world that will accept a native speaker with a white face - no degree/no teaching qualification......

i-to-i and tefl Scotland aren't saying they'll make you into "super teacher" in 20hrs - or that you are even a teacher. They give you at least a bit more than......nothing......and they may pay your flight out to some of these places - no big deal if they don't - from my 15 years of teaching only the middle eastern contracts have ever paid my flight ...

Doing a course through this company may not seem appealing to everyone - personally I came out of the military after 8 years and went straight onto a Celta course, but it is a route that at around 20 people in Scotland take, every week-end. Leaving in very positive spirit.....

Scam....??? There is no scam involved - no pretence at all

The End
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: