Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Women in Argentina

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Women in Argentina Reply with quote

I have been living and teaching in Mexico City for almost two years now. The situation with women here is TERRIBLE. Gringos aren't liked very much and since I'm newly single, I thought I would give Argentina a try. Any thoughts or information any could give me?
I'm wanting to go to another country but I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake as I did before coming to Mexico. I don't want to be in another country here the locals aren't too fond of me because I'm from the States, tall, white and blonde.

Thanks
desiree612

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

did you move to argentina...or are you still thinking? i am single..average height black female..and i want to move in july..but upon research i have not heard anything negative about women..i had a friend that lived there for a few months..and she said they loved black women..but im not sure if that is the norm or not...when were you thinking of leaving?
idrinkthewater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT

QFT. If you want to be generically loved, go to China. They adore Americans. I think that's the only country in the world.
socratesocks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ridiculous, China is one place where they emphatically do not like Americans. There are many places where Americans are very well liked, Mexico, India, Thailand, Ireland, but China is not one of those places. It's not as bad as Korea mind you, but that's the North Asian homogeneity mindset.
idrinkthewater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random people on the street posed with me to get their picture taken. People smiled and waved. I guess they assume all foreigners are either movie stars or will make trouble with the government or both. I suppose the mere presence of foreigners is also a symbol of China's burgeoning success. Everywhere we went, people would run up and say "You are very handsome!" or "You are excellent!" etc. Randomly!

That's not just my experience, that's the experience of being a FT in China, young, old, male, female. If your assumption is based on Japan, i can tell you it's the diametric opposite.

If you want to ask questions, feel free to PM me. I don't want to derail this thread any further.
JRS

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Professor,

I can�t speak about the American aspect of your question, but with regards to the being a woman bit, I think I can! I�m not sure where you are in Mexico, but I spent about 8 months in Tamaulipas. I know that not all of Mexico is like this from first hand experience and apparently that area is famed throughout Mexico for their sexism and machista ways, but I am assuming I have a rough idea of what you are talking about!

So, I've been in South America for the past year, 11 months working in Chile and also I�ve been to a few other countries including Argentina (where I�m planning on moving to pronto). South America is a world away from Mexico; I still can't believe how easy things are here. Yeah ok, some guys will whistle and call you preciosa; you�ll get stares as all foreigners do, but I have never had the fear I did in Mexico that these people will actually try to do me harm or that I am being looked upon badly for my hair/jewellery/drinking beer/wanting to work full time. And although there are a few gender issues here, they are little more than anywhere else in the world.

I�d do it, definitely. You�ll be pleasantly surprised, I�m certain. If I can help you with anything at all, feel free to PM me.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stay on topic. Some postings have been deleted in addition to the one edit. If you notice any inappropriate postings, please bring them to the attention of the Mod Team by Report Post or PM.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRS wrote:
Hey Professor,
...... I�m not sure where you are in Mexico, but I spent about 8 months in Tamaulipas. I know that not all of Mexico is like this from first hand experience and apparently that area is famed throughout Mexico for their sexism and machista ways, but I am assuming I have a rough idea of what you are talking about! ........ but I have never had the fear I did in Mexico that these people will actually try to do me harm or that I am being looked upon badly for my hair/jewellery/drinking beer/wanting to work full time. .....

Since 1966, I've spent varying amounts of time in Mexico (from a summer to several years), most of the time in Mexico City, and I have never felt that anyone would try to hurt me or that I was looked down upon for the reasons JRS mentions above. Where were you in Tamaulipas? Did anything unpleasant ever happen to you beyond the usual stares and comments? The Mexico you describe doesn�t sound anything like the one I know. Strange.....
JRS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa, I wasn't trying to slate Mexico, I was trying to point out that the poster said it the situation for women where she was was 'terrible' and that if she had had some of the same experience that I had, that I had not experienced them in Argentina.

I did travel around Mexico and notice differences in attitude, but my point was merely to offer some understanding of what I thought she was saying abut Mexico and what she wanted to know about Argentina.

Yes, stuff did happen beyond the norm to me in Mexico, but I don't think that my personal experiences are relevant to this thread. I hope that I have not caused any offence as there was none intended whatsoever and I have many fond memories of my time there.
JLL

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Women in Argentina Reply with quote

Professor wrote:
The situation with women here is TERRIBLE. Gringos aren't liked very much and since I'm newly single, I thought I would give Argentina a try.

I interpreted this as Professor is a man and does not like his situation with Mexican women. So how would Argentinian women be different, that's the question.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRS wrote:
Isla Guapa, I wasn't trying to slate Mexico, I was trying to point out that the poster said it the situation for women where she was was 'terrible' and that if she had had some of the same experience that I had, that I had not experienced them in Argentina.

I did travel around Mexico and notice differences in attitude, but my point was merely to offer some understanding of what I thought she was saying abut Mexico and what she wanted to know about Argentina.

Yes, stuff did happen beyond the norm to me in Mexico, but I don't think that my personal experiences are relevant to this thread. I hope that I have not caused any offence as there was none intended whatsoever and I have many fond memories of my time there.

I realize that you were only speaking of your own experiences in Mexico and were not saying that things were like this in the entire country. I was just surprised that whatever happened to you in Tamaulipas left such a deep, negative impression on you that you left the country and took off for greener pastures in South America. I�m glad that things are working out better for you in Chile . Smile
JLL

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one genuinely believed that the OP is a man asking about dating Argentinian women. Is this not the case??? Hey OP please clear this up!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: