Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering jobs in Scotland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Considering jobs in Scotland Reply with quote

On the TEFL.com site, there are lots of jobs offered in London and the rest of England. But what about Scotland? I know there are a few good schools in Edinburgh.

What I'd like to know is -

Which school would you recommend to apply to? Does anybody have experience in Scotland?

What's the cost of living like? Am I likely to do alright there for a year or two?

If I came out just for a summer position, say, 4 weeks, would I be able to make back my plane fare?

Just so you know what I'm talking about, I'm a Canadian teaching in Japan, 10 years TESOL experience in Canada and Japan with a TESOL diploma from a good program (Vancouver Community College's TESOL diploma program). I'm thinking about coming out for the summer to work in Scotland for 4 weeks or so while I'm on holiday from school in Japan. I'm more interested in the ground-level experience there, teaching European students (I assume) and living in a Scottish town.
lajzar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't comment on the job market there in Scotland, as I dn't know it. However, assuming it pays teh same as London (~10 gbp/hr), and a cheap return ticket london-tokyo is about 500 gbp, youd need to find 50 hours of work.

When I was at uni in Lancashire (officially the cheapest part of the UK), rent was about 50 gbp a week and food another 40 (and thats pretty basic uni student fare). So to break even, you are looking to earna total of 860 quid.

So, you might break even on this venture, but I wouldn't count on it.
SueH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like lajzar I can't comment on Scotland, but by and large pay is better _outside_ London, but don't always accept their first offer.

You might get summer school work with accommodation thrown in which may well prove your best bet. Worth a look anyway.

As ever in this game, it's being available at the right time and in the right place. Last week I had just an Italian evening class to teach - next week, after a flurry of phone calls, I'm teaching EFL/ESOL at two colleges.

Anyway, try this link and see if it helps
http://www.lingocity.com/links/scotlink.html
lajzar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the UK in general, the summer school EFL market is horrendously underpaid. It is normally residential work, which means food and half board, but I have seen rates as low as 60 quid a week for such work. And being residential work, the hours are effectively all those under the sun; that job was parent in loci rather than teacher.

I'm not saying that all summer school work is that bad, but I really wouldn't consider travelling halfway around the world to do summer school work anything other than a labour of love.

I applied for such a position once, but stopped after I realised I would have to be there a full week to break even from travelling to the work location from London.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: scotia Reply with quote

You have, I hope, taken advice on the question of a work permit ?

Or are you perchance a Brit Citizen ?

I wish you luck but there are not many jobs in Scotland and there is intense competition. The world of EFL outside Scotland is full of Scots with training and experience who would like to return home.
Will.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you post the names of the schools and the rest of us here can give you any knowledge of these schools and also our opinion of the chance you have of actually reciving a decent wage from them.
To be borne in mind also is the cost of the Pound Sterling at present. this currently high pound deters many from purchasing a course in this country due to the increase in price in their own currency. This drop in demand causes the British schools to be less than interested in offering more than a three or possibly two-week contract to teachers whose worth remains unproven. The students are shopping around and will find cheaper courses in Malta and in Ireland and even in their own countries.
Like Lajzar i would not do it either. Do some private work or two more weeks in japan and then have a holiday here. you arenot going to make enough money here in the short season, that is summer school, to call it worthwhile.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots are very loyal. THey are very proud of being Scottish and don't like to be mistaken for English.
And do you know who the Scots favorite football team is?
Whoever is playing against England Smile
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Favourite team Reply with quote

Second favourite, please. We support Scotland first, but will cheer on anyone against the auld enemy.
Being called English is like... well, there's nothing to compare it with!
bayabule

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was home in Scotland for the summer and trying to find work. I was very late in the game for summer work, I think you'd probably need to start looking now. I got onto the internet looked up the yellow pages and sent emails to schools in Edinburgh and universities all over. Most very kindly took the time to reply, but told me I was too late (my own fault) but I did manage to get some last minute cover at a school in Edinburgh (ILA). But it was only for week. I ended up doing summer school work in England just to get money. One university said they'd keep my details and amazingly emailed me 2 years later offering work but I couldn't take it as I was abroad by that point.
I don't know if it'd be worth coming all the way over from Japan, and visas may be an issue. There will be a lot of competition from Uk passport holders, but get out the Yellow Pages and give it a go. It doesn't hurt to try.
As to the sporting question, anyone who saw today's sorry performance against Italy... I hang my head in shame. Go ireland!
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'd love to live and work in Scotland! I have to get working on that geneology stuff and see if I can get myself an EU passport. Wink
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the passport is EASY.

Getting a job is the difficult part !
lajzar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you really want teh passport, you only need to marry me. Twisted Evil

Of course, there are probbaly other ways to get it too.
Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, being called English is bad for you, grahamb, but imagine being Welsh -- at least people outside the UK know Scotland exists. Shocked
Capergirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lajzar wrote:
Hey, if you really want teh passport, you only need to marry me. Twisted Evil

Is that a proposal, Lajzar? Wink
lajzar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capergirl wrote:
lajzar wrote:
Hey, if you really want the passport, you only need to marry me. Twisted Evil

Is that a proposal, Lajzar? Wink

Is that a yes, capergirl? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: