Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China sounds interesting-Experts: tips for a newbie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan allan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: China sounds interesting-Experts: tips for a newbie? Reply with quote

I am a Canadian, 49 year old male, looking at China after 6 years in Latin Amercia and currently in Mexico City.
There seems to be endless jobs, most including apartments and furnishings. What is the best business city? Can you simply enter on a tourist visa and make the necessary arrangements? Is there minimum $ requirement? Is it a big deal for private classes? (I'm very entreprenurial-minded)
What's it like living there? How's interaction with the culture in general, and with the opposite sex, in particular?

Sounds like it's very exciting from what I've read. I'd appreciate any tips from experienced veterans. Be happy to reciprocate info on Mexico.

Dan.
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look a bit further down the page, a simular question has generated 74 cpmments;then there is the Information Journal
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cut-and-dried answer...? Read on this board for a while unless you want to watch a mudslinging match!

I suggest you try a legal position. You can come here on a tourist visa, but you should try to get your employer to fix you up with the relevant papers! And that means you have got to be HIV-negative.

Dating women - if that's on your agenda, then note: Officially, this is on the book as prostitution. I don't want to hide from you thaqt a lot is being tolerated. However, as an expat you stand out of the crowd. In some places locals want you to lead an impeccable life. Some schools don't consider job applications from North Americans, others turn down singles!
Still, you will probably get what you want... although some people go elsewhere because other countries are more relaxed and more cool!

And besides, life here is similar to the life elsewhere - make money, save money, spend money. Why move here if you got so much sunshine, girls and food over there?
dan allan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: China sounds interesting-Experts: tips for a newbie? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I read the suggested posting, and also Job Info Journal. There is a lot of info, some very negative as usual, and I'm spending a free afternoon doing research.
I prefer the tourist visa route at this point, unless there is a prohibitive Dollar requirement?
Any idea on hourly rate for free-lance?
Re Mexico, it's very nice here however I'm looking for a positive stimulating change after 6 years. I have not finalized my decision yet-need to do more research. Also, with pending war and overdependence on the US economy, it's slow here. Glad to provide Mexico info.

DAN.

DAN.
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for a positive, stimulating experience... sounds like you are talking about Hawaii! China is anything but that, though interesting it can be!

Hourly wages ... 100 RMB per hour, companies pay 150, 200. Shanghai and Peking are a separate category, of course. That is where you might fit in best although it will be much like a rather hectic life in the Big Apple, commuting, gathering clients' and rescheduling already-scheduled lessons.

By the way, freelancing is illegal! But it is being widely practised...

However, the taxman might be inquisitive eventually, and then you are going to be in a bind!
That's when all these freelancers will get a shake, a big shake!
eric the king

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ on a bike Roger! Dating women is officially on the book as prostitution! What book? What are you talking about? Are you in a time warp?
Dan,believe it or not, China is aslo in the 21st century and guess what, dating is ok. In fact, many people do it, foreigners and locals. Some of them even live together without being married.
And of course China is stimulating - not always for the right reasons but who wants a life without the odd bit of conflict and surprise? Entry on a tourist visa is a route I would advise but it doesn't really matter - to get your foot in the working door you will eventually need to get it changed into a working visa by the school. From there, if you are not happy yopu can change to a business visa which gives you multiple entries and a certain amount of freedom.
Shanghai is obviously the best business city, but Beijing, Guanzhou and others have equally strong opportunities. Freelancing is available at reasonable rates but it may take a while to build up the relevant contacts - or you may get lucky.
As for the taxman, I know he is getting very busy these days in China but i wouldn't worry too much as he has another billion or so souls to look after, and some of these are of a little more relevance to him than you.
Good luck
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are entitled to your views, eric the king, but you are obviously a bit wet and no one should take your advice as seriously as yourself.

I don't want to dwell on the issue of womanising. Try it as I am sure you are doing *successfully). Whatever happens, happens to you. Perhaps nothing unexpected.

But as for the taxman, he is not so busy chasing after the one billion of wage earners. His first concern is with expats.
Until maybe a couple of years beofre (before you arrived here?), every expat was on tax holiday for up to five years. That has changed to zero years of tax holidays, officially.
Wherever the authorities have got their act together they charge foreign residents first thing. One example: A small township, with one Ge factory and maybe a hundred Chinese businesses - the Germans are paying tax, each and everyone of their staff.
Even I have to pay 20%, and I have to produce a letter stating that my employer allows me to work part-time.
I also worked in a Chinese company in the same location.
I did not pay tax, and have been rehired for a short stint of one week - no taxes.

Maybe you know our visas have changed. They are now computer-readable. What prevents Immigration from hooking up with some national tax authority that maintains a list of foreign residents and their tax dues?
eric the king

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be away to dry behind my ears then.

In China for three years - obviously not long enough to know everything under the sun like you chaps. Or perhaps not long enough to develop that bitter twist that seems so fashionable to have. Amazing as it sounds, I really like my life in China, I don't see negatives around every corner and I like to encourage people rather than discourage with tales of woe and hardship.

Of course everyone is paying tax these days. Well, not me. I'm sure the taxman is scratching his hair out trying to track me down. I must figure so high in his list of priorities.

And I'll not get into the dating question either for fear of turning it into a common sense argument.

BTW Roger. Married. Successfully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: