Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Cert Course followed by teaching in Egypt: Advice neede

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris reid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: TEFL Cert Course followed by teaching in Egypt: Advice neede Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a 46 year old male Brit with no degree and a keen interest in teaching English in Egypt.

I'm looking for an appropriate TEFL cert course in Egypt, but there is no Trinity or CELTA course available for an immediate start. I've heard good things about the TEFL International course in Alexandria but it's not CELTA and it's not Trinity. Given that I have no degree, if I take this course will I be considered as "qualified" by local language schools or not? If yes, please advise on the local job situation today; I don't have sufficient funds to manage without getting into paid employment fairly quickly.

Many thanks,

Chris
Al Waystryn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Next CELTA is in June Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Too bad you just missed a CELTA course in Cairo - it ended March 3rd. The next one (and the only one in the Middle East!) is 12th June - 7th July at ILI in Heliopolis, an International House school, www.ihworld.com or email: [email protected]
Regarding employment, you can try the secondary schools and cowboy language schools, but... Secondary schools are ending in June, however, they may need substitute teachers. They generally pay pretty well but the conditions can be pretty bad. The cowboy schools (private language institutes that take non-certified teachers) offer both bad pay and bad conditions. In the summer, there are usually kids classes available. If, however, you get your CELTA (and Egypt is probably the cheapest place in the world to do it) your options are considerably better.
Hope this info helps.
Al
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris -
I just took the TEFL International course in Alex, and they only problems I've had with it not being Trinity or CELTA so far are not being able to get jobs at British Council Accredited schools back home... So (hopefully) having this certificate is a good thing. The trainers are brilliant, and I can totally recommend the experience.

I have had a few problems with finding jobs in Egypt, but that seems to be because I'm looking at the wrong sites!!! Any ideas of good places to look??

Lindsey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: