Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Syria bans face veils at universities
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Syria bans face veils at universities Reply with quote

Hmm, no more "veiled sentiments" at Syrian Universities, it seems.

DAMASCUS, Syria � Syria has banned the face-covering Islamic veil from the country's universities to prevent what it sees as a threat to its secular identity, as similar moves in Europe spark cries of discrimination against Muslims
"The Education Ministry issued the ban Sunday, according to a government official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak publicly.
The ban, which affects public and private universities, is only against the niqab � a full Islamic veil that reveals only a woman's eyes � not headscarves, which are far more commonly worn by Syrian women.
The billowing black robe known as a niqab is not widespread in Syria, although it has become more common recently � a move that has not gone unnoticed in a country governed by a secular, authoritarian regime.
"We have given directives to all universities to ban niqab-wearing women from registering," the government official told The Associated Press on Monday.
The niqab "contradicts university ethics," he added, saying the government was seeking to protect its secular identity.
He also confirmed that hundreds of primary school teachers who were wearing the niqab at government-run schools were transferred last month to administrative jobs.
Syria is the latest country to weigh in on the veil, perhaps the most visible hallmark of conservative Islam. The wearing of veils has spread in other secular-leaning Arab countries such as Jordan and Lebanon, as well, with Jordan's government trying to discourage it by playing up reports of robbers who wear veils as masks.
Turkey also bans Muslim headscarves in universities, with many saying attempts to allow them in schools amount to an attack on modern Turkey's secular laws.
European countries including France, Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands are considering bans on the grounds that the veils are degrading to women.
France's lower house of parliament overwhelmingly approved a ban on wearing burqa-style Islamic veils on July 13 in an effort to define and protect French values, a move that angered many in the country's large Muslim community.
Opponents say such bans violate freedom of religion and will stigmatize all Muslims.
Duaa, a 19-year-old university student in Damascus, said she hopes to continue wearing her niqab to classes when the next term begins in the fall despite the ban.
Otherwise, she said, she will not be able to study.
"The niqab is a religious obligation," said Duaa, who asked that her surname not be used because she was not comfortable speaking publicly on the issue. "I cannot go without it."

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Syria bans face veils at universities Reply with quote

Ah... but sentiments can be veiled without covering the face... Cool

But there are two mis-statements in that article. The first is not surprising since this is the AP article and they are generally inaccurate on many details in their articles. The second is typical of so many of my Muslim female students who didn't seem to know the rules of their own religion.

johnslat wrote:
The billowing black robe known as a niqab is not widespread in Syria, although it has become more common recently �

"The niqab is a religious obligation," said Duaa, who asked that her surname not be used because she was not comfortable speaking publicly on the issue. "I cannot go without it."

AP has apparently confused the abaya with the niqab. And Ms Duaa should probably do a little more research... which she will likely be unable to do properly as she chooses to not be educated.

Facial veils were not allowed in Oman universities. I never saw any in Kuwait... at least not in my department. Both of those places had mixed classes.

VS
ummkhadija

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

I agree with you in stating that,
Quote:
The first is not surprising since this is the AP article and they are generally inaccurate on many details in their articles.

However, it may not be that she chooses not to be versed in her own religion, but its who she is relying to get her information from. In the Quran in states.

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ahzab 33:59

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

However, this is a transliteration of the Arabic text, and as many of you may know, nothing really translates literally. So, if she prefers one scholar over another, she will wear the face veil. Or, she may just be following her own parents wishes to be covered or she feels less harassed if she does wear it. It really lies on the woman who wears it (of course there are exceptions to this). I have friends Sunni or Shia who choose to cover their face entirely, while others choose not to.

In the Arabic text they use the word "jalabeeb" where we see the word veil in the English transliteration, which means a garments that covers the body entirely including the head, so she knowing the Arabic language may feel that she has to cover her face (literally), while others who also know the Arabic language may understand that it means to have your body and head covered, not necessarily your face.

However, generally media will find ways to manipulate what a person states, however if the woman interviewed had stated why she did, not just saying
Quote:
"I cannot go without it."
, she would have sounded much more educated.

UmmKhadija
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummkhadija wrote:
The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ahzab 33:59

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Most transliterations that I have read translate bodies as meaning b*reast/chest... because at the time - and putting into historical context is crucial - women who were naturally continually lactating nearly all the time in their adult years, were normally bare breasted. Thus most interpretations say that they are to draw their veil/cloak over their bared body. What has always been obvious to me and most Muslim female friends of mine is that it doesn't refer to either hair or face...

The covering of hair and face seems to be a modern interpretation adopted by the very wealthy who could afford to put their women in purdah. The majority of women would be too busy to be covering much up. Laughing

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see an English Tory MP has tabled a Private Member's Bill to ban face-covering in public places in the UKofGB&NI.

I do not often agree with English MP's particularly those of the Tory variety, but...........................................................
walkingstick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this business about Islamic women being veiled just goes back to the fact that Islamic men want to exert power over women and they think Muhammad gave them that right. I find it interesting what is happening in Gaza right now: they are wanting to ban women from using a water smoker in public. That's just something little, but it's amazing how much women are placed in a position of inferiority in Islam. Oh, there are so many examples in the Muslim religion of how men see themselves as superior. Of course we can thank the Quran for this.

Surah 2:228 states:
"Women shall have rights similar to the rights against them, according to what is equitable; but men have a degree over them."

Hadith 3:826 states:
"Muhammad asked some women, 'Isn't the witness of woman equal to half of that of a man?' The woman said, 'Yes.' He said, 'This is because of the deficiency of the woman's mind."

Oh and this is my favorite one (totally sarcastic)
Surah 4:34
"As to those women on whose part you fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them, refuse to share their beds, beat them."

And yes, the Arabic actually says this. I had one of my Muslim male friends look it up. He was shocked to learn that the Quran actually said that.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the Quran also points out many women's rights. The sad thing that I saw was how few of the young women had seemed to have read the Quran closely enough to even know them. I was constantly being told that the Quran had told them to cover their hair or do this or that. I would merely claim interest and ask them for the Surah so that I could read it in my translations. They would invariably come back and tell me that it wasn't there. Thus it seems that they rely on what the local Imam or the men of their family who interpreted things to their benefit.

Fatima Mernissi, the Moroccan writer, has written an interesting analysis of how or why so many of the misogynistic interpretations have taken over through the Sunnah. Surprisingly I found this book in an HCT women's college library and always wondered if any of the students had read it. I was leery of recommending it in case families got upset.

VS
walkingstick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Syria bans face veils at universities Reply with quote

Quote:
DAMASCUS, Syria � Syria has banned the face-covering Islamic veil from the country's universities to prevent what it sees as a threat to its secular identity,

I reread this article and it's so strange to me that Syria's main defense is that the robes would threaten the universities' secular identity. The ban would be a major violation of religious freedom and would actually go against the secular view of a free society.

If countries want to get rid of the attire, their best argument would be that the all-concealing robes are would threaten security a person's face is hidden and weapons could easily be hidden under the folds of the robes.

The arguments used by other countries mentioned in this article are lame.
basiltherat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, all this rules about not having one's face covered, while aimed at the often religious only, will only ultimately develop into one (in europe and America especially) not being permitted to walk down a high street in a Santa Claus outfit over xmas or halloween costume or even standing around in a motorcycle helmet ( I am sure there are more examples).

While I am in favour of having muslim women show their faces, I can only think that the whole issue will eventually turn into a farce and sheer absurdity.

Best
Basil Smile
walkingstick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Basil. It's absurd for a country to make a law about what people can and cannot wear. It's just as bad as a country that forces women to wear hijab.

I am not concerned about the United States doing this because our American constitution includes freedom of expression and freedom of religion. I am more concerned about Europe making such laws. And then there are countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia that force people to wear a certain clothing.

Rachel
(walkingstick)
ummkhadija

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

Quote:
women who were naturally continually lactating nearly all the time in their adult years, were normally bare breasted. Thus most interpretations say that they are to draw their veil/cloak over their bared body. What has always been obvious to me and most Muslim female friends of mine is that it doesn't refer to either hair or face...

Islam is a religion that has been here since the time of Adam and Eve, so the representation of what the countries who enforce a particular veil--niqab, burqa, chador, etc. Can be in the context of modern times. People perceive Islam to be a religion that began with the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), but that is not the case, its just an Arabic word, just like God is used in English, Allah in Arabic, and Yhwh is in Hebrew.

So, if one were to read back as far as religion was written about, you can see the context of protecting a women from unwanted gestures from men was very dominant, and the veil was used. Yes, in many Arab lands they did use the veil for women of money, or even for the harem. And yes, you are correct the Quran does not use the word Hijab, but it does state Jaleeb and khimar: Surah an-Nur ayah 31:
Quote:
"Tell the faithful women...to extend their Khumar to cover their bosoms".
So to extend to cover your boosom which for me would suggest to bring down, thus coming from the covering of your head.

I do agree that many women/men do not actually read the Quran to understand it. And yes, people do just listen to the instructions of their parents and Imams, but they can come to the same conclusion of wearing the hijab/khimar, niqab, etc., all on their own, with just reading the Quran. So, its unfortunate that they could not provide you proper verses from the Quran.

WalkingStick:
Quote:
It's absurd for a country to make a law about what people can and cannot wear. It's just as bad as a country that forces women to wear hijab

True any force upon a person's personal choice is a challenging one, however its unfortunate that you can make so many incorrect assumptions about Islam. The Quran states:

"Verily for all men and women who have surrendered themselves unto God, and all believing men and believing women, and all truly devout men and truly devout women, and all men and women who are true to their word, and all men and women who are patient in adversity, and all men and women who humble themselves before God, and all men and women who give in charity, and all self-denying men and self-denying women, and all men and women who are mindful of their chastity, and all men and women who remmber God unceasingly: for all of them has God readied forgiveness of sins and a mighty reward." (33:35)

So, we as men and women are equal, but we are not the same, so there may be laws that ones interprets as unkind to men and others that people would find unkind to women.

UmmKhadija
walkingstick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ummkhadija,

Regardless of your interpretation of Islam or mine for that matter, the fact still remains that if you are a non-muslim and want to teach in a muslim country, you are forced to wear religious clothing. The key word here is FORCED.

Muslims can come to my country and wear whatever they want to wear, but if I go to an Islamic republic, then I am FORCED to wear what they want me to wear.

It makes teaching in those countries a bit of a pain. I usually can't wait to come back to the States where I can be free to dress how I'd like and to say anything I want to say.

I feel bad for the Muslim women who do not want to wear the headscarves and the face veils but are forced to do so. I feel just as bad for the Muslim women who want to wear them but are told they cannot.

Best regards,
Rachel
ummkhadija

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear WalkingStick

Quote:
Muslims can come to my country and wear whatever they want to wear, but if I go to an Islamic republic, then I am FORCED to wear what they want me to wear.

On the contrary many Muslims in the US will not get hired because of their headscarf or form of dress, so its not true that only Islamic countries force you to wear a certain item. Plus even in my place of work now, jeans or "comfort wear", is not allowed you must dress professionallly. Therefore is this not a stipulation on what you have to wear?

However, of course as a foreigner you can choose to not work in an Islamic country and not conform to their laws, but the same can be said for us here in the US. This is where a choice is given clearly to us.

However, I completely agree with you on this point:

Quote:
I feel bad for the Muslim women who do not want to wear the headscarves and the face veils but are forced to do so. I feel just as bad for the Muslim women who want to wear them but are told they cannot.

UmmKhadija
walkingstick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ummkhadija

I understand what you are trying to say, but there is a difference between company or business dress code and a dress code enforced by the government on all people.

In America, out in public a muslim can wear whatever he or she wants to wear. But in an Islamic republic I cannot wear whatever I want to wear out in public because I would be FORCED to wear hijab.

There is not an equity among nations. Some are just better than others!
Wink

In kindness,
Rachel
ummkhadija

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear WalkingStick

Quote:
In America, out in public a muslim can wear whatever he or she wants to wear. But in an Islamic republic I cannot wear whatever I want to wear out in public because I would be FORCED to wear hijab.

Now, you could be in the Islamic republic not wearing the proper clothing and you would either be jailed or fined, maybe even expulsed. Just like in American you cannot walk around naked in America as some nudist would enjoy, but they do and are also forced to do jail time or pay a fine. So, really its a toss up, where one's own preference lie Cool

But, granted no country is perfect, it is within the person to make the best of their living/work situation.

Sincerely,

UmmKhadija
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: