Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In love with Cambodia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juju_b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: cambo over thai anyday Reply with quote

I have been in both countries I prefer Cambodia over Thailand any day. When I was in Thailand people thought I was from the Philippines and acted like my money wasnt as good as any other person (by the way Im half black American and Korean) especially walking into a bar or restaurant I would get treated with less respect even though I bought countless drinks. My passport was looked at like it was fake and was questioned etc... and taxis and tuk tuk wouldnt stop for as quick as they would a person with light skin. Not saying I hate Thailand its just I some obstacles to overcome.
Now In Cambodia I loved it people thought I was actually Cambodian and was treated nice and when they found I was American I got treated more nicely and was welcomed at every bar with no problem was even seated quick with no problems but most can tell I was American and it was fun and tuk tuk drivers would stop for me always or I would be approached quickly at the bar I was treated with repect even the owners sparked up conversations with me. Even though Thailand is more developed it doesnt make up for it with hospitality vs Cambodia which is less developed the hospitality was a lot warmer. Even as a foreigner in those two countries you know you are getting ripped off I felt cheated in Thailand where as Cambodia I didnt feel cheated even though I knew I was getting cheated
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Thai xenophobia, the walking ATM syndrome, together with the ludicrously convoluted immigration regulations - intended to ensure that the hated farang does not become too comfortably ensconced on sacred Thai soil - which makes me much prefer Cambodia as a place to live. I usually feel accepted here, rather than barely tolerated just so long as I am spending money. The Khmers are friendlier and English is much more widely-spoken and generally better than in Thailand (which should in itself tell you something about attitudes to foreigners). People here actually greet me by name - almost unheard of in Thailand. The visa process is also an absolute breeze. I would rather stick pins in my eyes than live in Thailand again.
exu156

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its reassuring to know its not only me juju_b (I have no idea how black-skinned people cope in this country). The racism really is just an accepted part of the culture. It always amuses me watching the soaps on TV here. The stories are all very much the same, no matter what the soap or channel. Rich but good family has to deal with the jealousies of other people, it usually escalates to attempted murders etc. What's amusing about these soaps is the bad guys are always dark skinned. Usually someone will organize a hitman or hitmen to go kill a member of the family. The guy organizing the hit is white skinned of course (dark skinned people couldn't organize anything) but the guys doing the dirty work are dark skinned of courses (you gotta keep an eye on those darkies). I pointed this out to my girlfriend a while back (she is Thai) and her response was one of shock, she simply had never noticed before but admitted that it was absolutely true. If you are dark skinned you are dangerous, untrustworthy, inferior.

Your comment juju_b about being compared to a Filipino is very interesting. I have 2 Filipino teachers at my school (both of which earn more that the Thai teachers) and the 'put-down' comments from the Thais are full on. To have a darker and racially inferior Filipino earn more than a racially superior Thai is just unimaginable. None of the comments have anything to do with the teaching (nothing to do with whether the person is a good teacher or not), it's all racial insults and put-downs.

Your comments PattyFlipper are spot on!! Particularly when you say 'intended to ensure that the hated farang does not become too comfortably ensconced on sacred Thai soil' this is so true!!! I am convinced there is a resentment here of even having to learn English (a foreign language). This is backed up by an incident at my school when my boss came to teach at my school and someone yelled out 'it's not our language', she was shocked and began looking around thinking it was one of the students that said it. It wasn't one of the students however, it was my Thai co-teacher that yelled it out.

We are not liked here, we are not wanted here, we are not welcomed here. Our money is welcomed, our quick visits on holidays (where we will spend money) are welcomed but for those living here the message is fairly clear: YOU ARE NOT WELCOMED HERE!
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Cambodia Forum.

Let's quickly get back on topic, please.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been living in Thailand for 2 years, teaching at a university and also contracted to teach at a few of the factories in the area. There is an immigration office here where I, along with all the other 'farang' teachers have to go to get our 90 day check to stay legally. I usually go in to the immigration with 2 or 3 other 'farangs' who have 'white' skin. These other 'farangs' get a nice wai (the polite Thai form of greeting), whereas I on the other hand get nothing. The other 'farangs' get their 90 day stamp very quickly and efficiently whereas I have to wait at the back of the line. The other 'farangs' get pleasant conversation from the immigration officer while he looks through their paperwork, I get nothing but sarcasm and put downs about looking like a Filipino and get asked whether my Australian passport is real or did I buy it on the street. This is but one example in just one place, I could go and on and give you so many more.

MOD EDIT

Never have this problem in Cambo, although it must be said that Cambo is becoming somewhat more organized and, er, MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT: khmerhit, please check your PMs.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: