Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexism in Morroco???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basiltherat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, if you had studied the classic Arabic language, you would have come to a better understanding of the above verse. What about this:

"Strongest among men in enmity to the believers wilt thou find the Jews and Pagans; and nearest among them in love to the believers wilt thou find those who say, "We are Christians": because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant." (Qur'an 5:82)

"And there are, certainly, among the People of the Book, those who believe in God, in the revelation to you, and in the revelation to them, bowing in humility to God. They will not sell the Signs of God for a miserable gain! For them is a reward with their Lord, and God is swift in account." (Qur'an 3:199)

Indeed. What about that ? Well, we can all pick n choose from our holy book, whatever faith we lean towards. In this case, the earlier (and would you believe it ... abrogated), Meccan Suras.

Still doesn't help us to understand why there are some (even learn-ed)Muslims who find something in the Koran to justify blowing up and killing Christians. As such, the Koran can't be THAT clear ... surely.

Quote:
Would a Christian go to a Buddhist and say "Mr. Bhuddist here is my Bible I want you to be it's guardian and protect the special interest that the Bible has for Christians."

That's a poor example. Being lax in protecting one's interest in one's faith doesn't involve asking a person of a different faith to look after one's holy book. I mean, come on !

Anyway, I agree. Nuff said ... unless we want this thread locked. Perhaps getting back on topic would be a wise move at this point.

Best
Basil
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Back to the OP Reply with quote

Back to the OP.

It's better to avoid talking about religion anywhere, especially in the Middle East and North African region. In the Middle East, don't tell people you're an atheist.

It is simply naive to rattle out the fact that Morocco has a few churches and then deduce that it's SAFE to discuss things openly.

Madrid got bombed by Moroccans. Although there are millions of them, you only have to upset the wrong one. Westerners have also been duped by fanatics- just watch the Daniel Pearl film with Angelina Jolie.

That's my last post on this thread.
medina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Job discussions? Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I thought this was a moderated forum for discussing jobs, not people's religions (for or against). I see that's it's neither. This site used to be so useful. I guess Dave's given up on standards.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medina, the above posts make up one of the most useful threads about Morocco on this site. Without being flippant, I bet you more than a few teachers headed there after watching a DVD of Hideous Kinky. Moroccans will raise the subject of religion with any non-Muslim based there, and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with discussing that fact on a website.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more Hod.
artemisia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: Canadian �Muff Daddy� came and went in 2003 I see.

Quote:
Unfortunately I cannot succumb to sexism and would probably end up getting my ass stoned or something! (haha)

??? Did anyone think this poster was for real?
Well, the thread "she" started has been an interesting enough read, I guess.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

According to Libyan state news;'Six PILGRIMS were killed in Iraq yesterday.' I thought they were just Christians.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Job discussions? Reply with quote

medina wrote:
I'm sorry. I thought this was a moderated forum for discussing jobs, not people's religions (for or against). I see that's it's neither. This site used to be so useful. I guess Dave's given up on standards.

How's it going now in Morocco, Medina? I'm not being flippant, but now you've been there a while, would you agree that religion affects pretty much any teacher who goes to work there?
medina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe you keep coming back to this forum, Hod, since you seem to have left Morocco with a really bad taste. But then, I can't believe I do either. Dave's page used to have a lot more relevance for me, somehow. Maybe Facebook (which I do not use) has made all these sites unnecessary. Anyway.....

If you're asking about the situation vis a vis what's happening in Tunisia and Egypt, then Morocco, for the time being, is entirely normal. There's sympathy for what's going on in those two countries, and no one denies there are problems here, but there is also a sense that the government has been working for several years towards reforms and economic development with the goal of job creation, the main problem everywhere, it seems.

If you're asking about whether I've noticed that religion plays a big role in the lives of people here: of course it does. Any teacher who plans to come and teach here can find that out from any travel guide book or Wikipedia, or whatever. They should also know that proselytizing to another religion is against the law here and that this law was applied to a number of Protestant Christians -- many of them Americans--- who were *perceived* to be doing missionary work and ordered to leave the country in 2009. Some of them were connected to an orphanage in Azrou, some to the George Washington Academy in Casablanca (including the director himself!), and there are probably others who just got caught up in the situation. So any one considering a teaching job in Morocco should certainly know this and be discrete in any conversations that she or he may get into religion (and I'm talking about outside the classroom, since inside the classroom this stuff should be avoided on principle and is generally part of school policy not to get into).

What I was referring to in the above posting was seeing people cutting and pasting passages from Quran (or it could be the Bible, or Sutras, or Baghavad Gita for that matter) on this forum in order to debate what religion sanctions or doesn't sanction. People may consider themselves religious and know next to nothing about what their holy books say, or may know, but interpret it to suit their ends (Where was the Spanish Inquisition permitted in the Bible? Or launching drones over NW Pakistan? Or bombing Gaza? and the list goes on).

Again, if a teacher who wants to teach here is reasonably respectful of the culture, realizes they're not at Disneyworld, does his or her best in the classroom, and (very important!) has a good sense of humor, that person could have a very positive teaching experience. My own experience has been that Moroccan are really good language learners, love to participate, are not afraid of making mistakes, and give the teacher every chance to succeed.
23klicks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: fourth post Reply with quote

"something unfortunate could happen" harsh words
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: