Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One way tickets and proof of onward travel in VN?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonbuenas2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: One way tickets and proof of onward travel in VN? Reply with quote

In many countries I hear one can run into problems with one way tickets, as airlines/immigration officials will demand that the traveler have proof of onward travel...

Anyone had issues with this in VN? I'd rather not get turned away at the border or forced to buy a plane ticket I'm not planning on using!!

Gracias,
toiyeuthitmeo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way ticket is no problem, and just tell them "business" on your customs/visa forms.
London Bridge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toiyeuthitmeo wrote:
One way ticket is no problem, and just tell them "business" on your customs/visa forms.

You're referring to immigration. Immigration is not the problem (when you are in the airport).

What may be the problem is the airlines at check-in in your home country.

Airlines (companies) are required by agreement to fly any passenger back to their original destiniation - IF - they are not allowed into the foreign country (in this case Vietnam).

The airlines cover themsevles financially by requireing passenger to provide proof of a return ticked or onward ticket.

Again....Vietnam official have never asked me for this, ever.

However....I was was flying back to Vietnam on a multiple entry Business visa that I obtained in Vietnam. Vietnam was my base.

Check on this if yo are flying from outside of Vietnam, as most people do when they arrive.
isabel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive run into this problem in the past, and the problem is the airlines. Korean Airlines can be difficult about this. Even though I had legal residency in Korea at the time, I once had to fight mightily to get a one way ticket back to Korea from Hanoi.

I am hoping that the visa in my passport will be enough to get on the flight in September to Vietnam (I have a one way ticket already). It would be a shocking mess if I were refused access to the flight. I've another friend trying to buy a one way to Vietnam right now, and she is having trouble.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: One Way Reply with quote

I have often taken one way flights to Vietnam. Never been a problem from Australia at least-nor from Hong Kong.
sonbuenas2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: My fears have been confirmed... Reply with quote

My fears were justified and Korean Air is claiming that they won't let me on the flight now!!

They're not even being reasonable about it, as in I've offered to buy a ticket to bangkok, show them proof of funds etc. and they still demand that I buy a round trip ticket from the states!

This sucks.

Anyone have any advice?!?!
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: My fears have been confirmed... Reply with quote

sonbuenas2 wrote:
My fears were justified and Korean Air is claiming that they won't let me on the flight now!!

They're not even being reasonable about it, as in I've offered to buy a ticket to bangkok, show them proof of funds etc. and they still demand that I buy a round trip ticket from the states!

This sucks.

Anyone have any advice?!?!

Geez...

It's odd how they can SELL a one-way ticket from your country, but are telling you u MUST have a return-ticket back to your country in order to board....

Welcome to SEasia!!!

I've never been in that EXACT situation, so I'd hate to offer my advice....
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither Malysia Air nor Air Asia had a problem flying me into 'Nam without an exit ticket, but they do check your visa!
eclectic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be a shocking mess if I were refused access to the flight.

......already a shocking mess.
isabel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to the folks at Korean tonight. They said that an American passport with a business visa is no problem with a one way ticket.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read anywhere where the OP is...so kinda difficult to advise.

My experience is that if you are flying within the region it's rarely (if ever an issue). For example I just flew from Jakarta to Singapore and from Singapore to Cambodia and wasn't asked about tickets on either occasion by check in staff.

However, if flying from further afield this is definitely more of an issue. From the UK/Australia for example airlines will be sticklers for the rules or take them even further to cover themselves.

I'm surprised to hear that Captain said Malaysia airlines were ok..is that if flying from KL? Flying out of Australia I found them to be the worst for making up the rules.

Snolly.,..which airlines were you using from Australia to Vietnam..Jetstar?
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bule_boy69 wrote:

I'm surprised to hear that Captain said Malaysia airlines were ok..is that if flying from KL? Flying out of Australia I found them to be the worst for making up the rules.

Hi, I actually flew in from KL on Air Asia. From my discussions with Malaysia Air, I didn't need an exit ticket, only a visa, but I didn't fly in with them. For longer journeys, I can understand why airlines get worried. They don't want to be responsible if someone is denied entry.

Someone suggested buying a cheap refundable exit ticket. I flew into Malaysia, got a transit visa from Malaysian immigration, then continued on to 'Nam a few days later. The Malaysians were happy to see me, and no entry visa was required. I had no problems with the airline flying into Malaysia on a one way ticket.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Willard wrote:
I flew into Malaysia, got a transit visa from Malaysian immigration, then continued on to 'Nam a few days later. The Malaysians were happy to see me, and no entry visa was required. I had no problems with the airline flying into Malaysia on a one way ticket.

Sorry ..flying from where? Can i assume you were flying into Malaysia from Vietnam and that this was with Air Asia?

Thanks
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bule_boy69 wrote:
Sorry ..flying from where? Can i assume you were flying into Malaysia from Vietnam and that this was with Air Asia?

Thanks

I flew into KL from Japan.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Willard wrote:
I flew into KL from Japan.

Interesting...because I flew malaysian airlines outa Tokyo a while back and they DID ask me for an onward ticket when I checked in. It was just an onward ticket mind...none of this garbage about a ticket back to country of origin etc. They were happy with an air asia e-ticket.

All good info...

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: