Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM2 question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackofalltrades

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: FM2 question Reply with quote

hi.. my name is edward and i have a question about the FM2. I live currently in piedras negras and i work in eagle pass. I would like to get started on naturalization or citizenship and i was wondering if it was possible for me to get an FM2 and just say that im "working independently" teaching english. i do have some friends that want to learn and i could just make up some receipts. I was wondering if it would be possible to get this. The last time i went to the office of immigration, they said that they only way i could get something like this is either a job offer or get married. No exceptions, but that was like 2 years ago... anyone know anything about this?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the usual procedure is to start with the FM3, but there may be exceptions to that rule.

If you apply for an FM3 to work independently as an English teacher, you�ll need some proof that you have TEFL training (a certificate, a degree in education, for example) to present to INM. You can't just "make up" receipts. You have to get an RFC number from SAT, so you can pay taxes every month, which will also require having an accountant to figure out how much you'll owe to the government. You need to present proof that you've been paying monthly taxes on a regular basis, when you go to renew your FM3 (or in some cases, FM2) each year. At least this is what I have to do in Mexico City. The details may vary from state to state within the Republic, but the general outline remains the same.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: FM2 question Reply with quote

jackofalltrades wrote:
hi.. my name is edward and i have a question about the FM2. I live currently in piedras negras and i work in eagle pass. I would like to get started on naturalization or citizenship and i was wondering if it was possible for me to get an FM2 and just say that im "working independently" teaching english. i do have some friends that want to learn and i could just make up some receipts. I was wondering if it would be possible to get this. The last time i went to the office of immigration, they said that they only way i could get something like this is either a job offer or get married. No exceptions, but that was like 2 years ago... anyone know anything about this?

Each office of INM is different. It's supposed to be changing...

You could try an immigration lawyer. They might have some ideas or maybe they know somebody... It's amazing what a little cash spent (lawyer fees) and knowing somebody can get you in Mexico.

Oh the stories I could tell from having been inside the main offices of Mexico's immigration agency... If those walls could talk Shocked
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they've scrapped the independent status thing. I just got my FM2 independiente switched over to the Blockbuster style cards and there's no mention of said status. They didn't even ask me for the proof of taxes being paid this time.

To get an FM2 you need to be married to a Mexican or have gone through 4 (correct me if I'm wrong) renewals of an FM3.

As for independiente status, I found that immigration were only interested to know that taxes were being paid by someone i.e. you could feasibly work in a place and use the recibos from there to prove that you're 'paying' taxes. Careful though, as the prof points out, each INM place is a law unto itself.
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a website you may find helpful regarding the new procedures.

http://jaltembajalapeno.com/lang/en/foreign-residents/mexico-visas-%E2%80%93-fmm-fm2-and-fm3/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That info is useful to me too, so thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: