Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online English teaching jobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollysuel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deessell2 wrote:
I have taught over 700 sessions with Tutor ABC over a period of five years on and off. I had a base of $9 and I would always make at least $2-3 in bonuses per session (45 mins).

The students are great, very enthusiastic and usually well travelled. Tutor ABC always paid on time and I was never short of sessions with them.

I work with them when I live "on the beach". I will say that there are a lot of unhappy ex TutorABC teachers out there, but I never really had a problem with them and would definitely work with them again if the need arises.

The TutorABC teachers I have talked to are also quite happy with them--if one lives in a lower salary country, it would be ideal! That said, most live online English teaching jobs are at a lower salary range because one is competing with people all over the world who can take a lower salary. IMHO, live online is still for people who want to supplement their income and have other sources as well.
hollysuel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: VISA requirement if teaching solely online? Reply with quote

scuba066 wrote:
I am sure each country will be different. But, I will ask anyway. If you reside in a foreign country, I am interested in Indonesia, and teach solely online, can you do so on a tourist visa?

If you are on a tourist visa and teaching live online, there shouldn't be that much of a problem as long as you are actually touring and not staying in the country beyond your tourist visa date. The main issue is reliable and stable internet connection--if you disconnect a lot, you will lose students and clients.

Personally, I have taught live online from hotel rooms in Poland, Austria, Finland, Los Angeles, family member's living rooms, a McDonalds in Finland, etc. (I had stable mobile broadband when I lived in Finland, so I could teach from almost anywhere). These were all short-term visits however and I still have a very stable home office for live online teaching.
Zero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one teaches for the online outfits, what does one do about taxes?
VikingElvis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero wrote:

Yeah, I would really like to know about this, too. This has actually been the main reason I've held off on teaching online...
hollysuel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikingElvis wrote:
Zero wrote:

Yeah, I would really like to know about this, too. This has actually been the main reason I've held off on teaching online...

I report it as self-employed income.
scuba066

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for the information Holly
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollysuel wrote:

Do you need to pay social security taxes on self employed income? I'm not sure how that works.
hollysuel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guerciotti wrote:
hollysuel wrote:

Do you need to pay social security taxes on self employed income? I'm not sure how that works.

I did when I lived in Finland. Haven't figured out the system here in the states yet. I would assume that you do.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollysuel wrote:
Guerciotti wrote:
hollysuel wrote:

I did when I lived in Finland. Haven't figured out the system here in the states yet. I would assume that you do.

Here is a brief summary, for what it's worth.
File a 1040 plus schedule C, or 1040EZ plus shedule C-EZ. For 2011, social security and medicare taxes (FICA) total 13.3% of gross income.
For 2010, the total tax is 15.3%
You may deduct 1/2 of FICA paid from your gross income for income taxes due.
You must pay the taxes in any year with over $400 self-employed income.
It is better to pay the tax quarterly.
Cool
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guerciotti wrote:
Here is a brief summary, for what it's worth.
File a 1040 plus schedule C, or 1040EZ plus shedule C-EZ. For 2011, social security and medicare taxes (FICA) total 13.3% of gross income.
For 2010, the total tax is 15.3%
You may deduct 1/2 of FICA paid from your gross income for income taxes due.
You must pay the taxes in any year with over $400 self-employed income.
It is better to pay the tax quarterly.
Cool

Yep, but if you make very little, just pay once a year. I deducted mine on the first page, but you have to add it in again on the second (of the 1040)
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im teaching online with one of the sites linked in the first page of this thread. They pay via paypal, and as already mentioned, these kinds of jobs are to supplement an income rather than replace one. In 6 weeks I have earned perhaps $100. I wont be declaring it to be honest. Smallish paypal payments can slip through the net IMO.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would classify all of these things under foreign income exclusion - why are you guys paying taxes on that??
hollysuel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:
I would classify all of these things under foreign income exclusion - why are you guys paying taxes on that??

It depends on where one is living. The income is based on that.

In my case, I haven't left the USA since 2009, so my entire income for 2010 (which is almost entirely online) was reported as self-employed income in the USA as that is where I was located regardless of where my clients were. Prior to 2010, I lived in Europe and put all my live online income on the foreign earned income exclusion because I reported the income on my Finnish taxes. So everything depends on the person's situation.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:

Becuase the FIEI is only for your MAIN job. Online teaching goes under self employment. Same in the US. You work FT as a teacher, then do some consulting, you have to pay US taxes.

BUT as hollysuel mentions, if you already pay taxes like she did, then you can file the 2555 for your main job and the 1116 for your other jobs. And if online teahching is your only job, then choose whether to do the 2555 (if you're putting that online company asyour employer) or the 1116 (if you're putting yourself as self employed)
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
bdbarnett1 wrote:

Becuase the FIEI is only for your MAIN job. Online teaching goes under self employment. Same in the US. You work FT as a teacher, then do some consulting, you have to pay US taxes.

BUT as hollysuel mentions, if you already pay taxes like she did, then you can file the 2555 for your main job and the 1116 for your other jobs. And if online teahching is your only job, then choose whether to do the 2555 (if you're putting that online company asyour employer) or the 1116 (if you're putting yourself as self employed)

Wow - first I'm hearing of that. I'm assuming you checked this out with an accountant?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: