Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online English teaching jobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhatter109

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:
Hmm...got some real honest folks in here lol

You do realize paypal doesn't disclose your income if it doesn't exceed $20,000, right? And it has to meet other criteria, too.

Sorry, naturegirl, not seeing what you're saying (I don't get why you'd have to pay all these social security, FICA, etc if you're out of the US) but I'm going to keep looking into it...I'm sure you've spent a lot more time on it than I have.

BUMP - I'm wondering if anyone out there knows "someone" who gets paid via paypal but didn't file? How much were you making? Are you safe under 20,000?

Just out of curiosity of course. I'm not currently self employed.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get paid via Paypal: under 20K and I declare it all.

If you're not declaring, you might not get caught, but then again, you might. Why take the risk? The benefits of declaring are worth it.
hollysuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also declared all of my income via paypal and various bank accounts. It just isn't worth it to me if I were to get caught...
haleynicole14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: taxes... Reply with quote

Side note to the conversation - If you don't pay taxes, even legally, you won't be able to get unemployment when you come back to the US. It was troublesome coming back from abroad to search for jobs and not having any financial assistance. So there is one reason you might want to pay.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: taxes... Reply with quote

haleynicole14 wrote:
Side note to the conversation - If you don't pay taxes, even legally, you won't be able to get unemployment when you come back to the US. It was troublesome coming back from abroad to search for jobs and not having any financial assistance. So there is one reason you might want to pay.

In order to get unemployment, you also have to WORK in the US for a certain amount of time, last time I checked it was 6 months.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I get paid via Paypal: under 20K and I declare it all.

If you're not declaring, you might not get caught, but then again, you might. Why take the risk? The benefits of declaring are worth it.

Personally, I don't think the benefits of filing are worth it. But that's just me. I have no intention of ever living in the US, and I doubt if SS will be there for me when I am retirement age. However, I also file because I like to live a stress free life and the fewer things I have to worry about the better.
hollysuel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: taxes... Reply with quote

You can only receive unemployment benefits if you are actually employed in the USA and paid into the unemployment system. Keep in mind that if you quit a job in the USA, you don't get unemployment--you get unemployment if you are fired without cause or laid off. So, I'm not sure what you mean as you wouldn't get financial assistance anyway...

haleynicole14 wrote:
kucinggarong

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: re Online teaching and tax liability Reply with quote

I have been teaching a few classes through tutorabc and although the money is not all that good the students are great and highly motivated and the company very professional - good IT support and pays on time. In regard to the tax question, in my case I reside in Australia, and here the income from online teaching would be regarded as self employment income, from which one can deduct any expenses such as internet, rent or mortgage (tutorabc prefer if you teach from a home office) , so from the US $200 I earn each month there is not much "profit " left, so tax is not really an issue! But maybe for you expat Yanks Uncle Sam is not so easy going!
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: re Online teaching and tax liability Reply with quote

kucinggarong wrote:
I have been teaching a few classes through tutorabc and although the money is not all that good the students are great and highly motivated and the company very professional - good IT support and pays on time. In regard to the tax question, in my case I reside in Australia, and here the income from online teaching would be regarded as self employment income, from which one can deduct any expenses such as internet, rent or mortgage (tutorabc prefer if you teach from a home office) , so from the US $200 I earn each month there is not much "profit " left, so tax is not really an issue! But maybe for you expat Yanks Uncle Sam is not so easy going!

In the US the money you earn is as an independent contractor. You can deduct your rent and internet bills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: