Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

university teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarStuddedRiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: university teaching Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had information about the universities that generally hire native English teachers. I'm open to anywhere in Argentina, but am especially interested in Buenos Aires. I know the websites of the universities, but most of them are in Spanish/hard to navigate, so any insider information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
VioletaBlanca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarStuddedRiot-

I have lived in Buenos Aires for 4 yrs, have an MA in ESOL, and permanent residency. I feel the need to make a point that Argentina is not a typical TESOL destination (or any other industry for that matter) for a great deal of resaons.

The largest and most reputable university (la Universidad de Buenos Aires) is a public one. However, pretty much all the professors are Argentines and the top-notch experts in their fields. I do not mean to sound presumptuous, but you have to know that having a "TEFL certificate" will not even get your resume looked at for a New York minute. There is no way to even come close to sustaining yourself on the university's income- It's an awesome position to put on anyone's resume, hence the reason that they are able to contact professors to work for very, very little- it's the prestige that comes along with being able to write your own ticket for being qualified enough to teach there.

The other BsAs universities (del Salvador, Torcuato di Tella, Kennedy, UCA to name a few) have very little turnover. Personal connections are almost always needed to even get your foot in the door for an interview. Moreover, considering the incredible bueraucratic hassle that it would be for them to legally sponser you if you do not have a form of residency to be hired on the books, you are out of the running, period (by the way, Migraciones or any other legal errand here can and will break your spirit. As I mentioned, I've been here 4 yrs, and despite all my time here, it never ceases to amaze me how horribly they royally screw up and waste your time beyond belief. Every. Single. Time.).

If you are unable to decipher their websites due to your current level of Spanish, even far less likely.

Please know that I am not writing with any intention of being condescending or a know-it-all, but I cannot tell you how many Yanquis I have seen come and go after coming here with rose-colored glasses and fairly naive dreams, only to leave broke, pissed off, and disillusioned.

Truth be told, the typical "shelf life" of an expat here is steadily decreasing, due to a combination of factors such as 25-30% inflation a year (yes, that is correct), a frighening lack of security, the lack of access to any type of foreign currency, and flat-out xenophobia to name just a few of the major qualms (not a wise idea to draw attention to yourself if you are American ("del emperio malvado"). Even worse if you are British ("pirata"). Or "bolita," "gallego," "paraguita," or simply a free-thinking "facho" (such animosity towards foreigners for a country with such a history of immigration). English speakers (American or otherwise) are a dime a dozen here, all college educated with "certificates," all with the same naive expectations, and all pretty much with the same story.

Having lived here for this time has been rewarding and educating to say the least, as I am married to the love of my life, an Argentine, and will soon be having a bebe porteno. But taking the time to investigate other Spanish speaking countries would probably be a very wise idea, especially if you really wish to professionally progress and gain legit experience in the TESL/EFL field.

Suerte.
leretif9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VioletaBlanca:

Is the cost of living in Buenos Aires forecast for 2014 as approaching the costs in US cities like San Francisco and New York? Also, can you be more specific about what you mean by "a frightening lack of security?" Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: