Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodphil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: What are my chances? Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I am currently working as a teacher in Hong Kong but I am hoping to move to Colombia next August to start teaching.

I was just wondering if anybody could advise me on what my chances are of landing a University job.

I have a bachelor of education and two Masters degrees, 1 in educational research and 1 in TESOL. I have been teaching ESL in Australia, Japan and Hong Kong for the past 8 years.

Is a university job alot better in terms of salary, holidays, working conditions than say an international school job or are they comparible?

Is it best to just send your resume to the University or is there a place where I can find university/international school job advertisements?

Any help would be much appreciated, as you can probably tell my knowledge on teaching in Colombia is limited.

Any lists of uninversites/schools etc would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Phil
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on here and search on the old poorbuthappy site as well.

I'd say your chances are excellent. An international school will pay by far the most. A good university, though less pay, will still be a very good salary and probably much less work (think 3 days a week, no many contact hours for a full time position). University would probably be a much nicer working environment as well.

Universities in Bogota: check out Externado, La Javeriana, La Nacional, Los Andes, La Sabana.

International schools, just go to the IB website.

Send your resume to the unis, but don't expect too many answers. It's kind of a crapshoot and Colombia isn't really a meritocracy (one reason why they're not a rich country), so as usual it's really about who you know as well as what you know. You;'best chances for getting hired from abroad would be Externado.
woodphil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Spanglish, very helpful.

Can I just ask what is the IB website for searching intnl schools?

Thanks
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't complicated to google it - ibo.org. You can search by country.

Also, people on here say you should go to the job fairs in the US to have the best chance of getting hired and getting the best deal.
UrbanBedowin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with most universities is that they don't do visa's for you. That's the case with Javeriana. I was offered a job there but was told I had to arrange my own visa.

Yes, universities are by far a better more relaxed job with relatively decent pay. However, if your looking to work your butt off and get very well paid then International Schools are the way to go. You can normally get hired from your home country and get the full expat pakage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: