Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching 50 beginner kids
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CThomas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctors make about 1600 here before tea money, according to the Google
Andy123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snollygoster, that has to be one of the best "tips" for teachers I have seen in a long time. I hope some people use it.

Teachers that think they must have a TA are scary. I have never had a class I could not control or teach. I have even taught in a high school for felons. God bless their souls : (

There are many, many fine TAs out there but I have had several unfortunate incidences with TAs causing more trouble than the students. Go figure.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: HUH? Reply with quote

I didn't see any of the stuff Mark talks about on that recorded link at WizIq- I saw only a power point presentation- Strange!
Anyway- cest La Vie
snollygoster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: WizIq recording Reply with quote

If the recording on WizIq continues to be troublesome, pm me and I will send you the original Power Point.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: that presentation Reply with quote

Yeah, the first slide was okay, I think, then about numbers 2 - 5 were double voiced, with about a 2 second delay between versions. I think it was slide 5 where the girl in the background is shown rustling around in bed. I was kinda hoping to get a better view of her, but it was just that one incident. Not that I was getting all excited about it, I just found it very interesting to have that in the background in a program of this nature. I did feel that while his advice was good, he certainly could have presented it in far less time. He seemed to be teaching primarily to non native speakers, and so perhaps he paced himself accordingly. All the people who he interacted with were from countries where English is not the first language.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching 50 beginner kids Reply with quote

jamieg wrote:
I've got a few classes of 50 beginner kids which is a bit of a new experience for me in that so far I've always worked with smaller groups of intermediates who are a bit older.

My first couple of lessons went pretty badly with the kids getting bored and restless. I had ended up lecturing a bit because I just wasn't prepared and I think they just got lost and confused with what was going on.
I had a talk to the TA and they just want me to go over the basics that they have already learnt using song and dance and games and stuff so does this mean that I am essentially there to keep them entertained using English?

Don't mistake designing entertaining activities with you personally having to entertain them. You can make them as student centred as you like, so you're just monitoring and correcting, and the kids can still be entertained.

And of course the other thing, which applies to beginners of all levels, is that they simply won't get verbal explanations, so don't even bother. You need to come up with other methods of explaining a concept (mime or sounds, for example) and giving instructions. Preferably something other than asking your TA to explain it in Vietnamese. I've seen someone doing an absolute beginners adult lesson without saying anything other than the target language, and "good" when someone got something correct. I think it takes a long time to get to that level though. And obviously with adults, they actually pay attention so there's no diversions with classroom management.

But yeah, as others have said, 50 is a bit ridiculous. Good luck with it though.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Kids Reply with quote

If you can't work out how to teach kids in a manner that engages them, then don't do it. You will give yourself a nervous break-down, and you will perpetuate the perception amongst Viet kids that foreign teachers are either failures or clowns who are there for their entertainment, and to their parents, you are a welcome baby sitter for a few hours -an outlet where their kids can "watch the funny monkey."
Take the "funny" business of teaching kids seriously-and if you need a TA to interpret for you- you sure shouldn't be there.
Use TPR, mime, actions, follow me activities, flash card games. Yes thet dirty word GAMES- Even "colour the pictures" has merit if its targeted at the language you are teaching. Be creative. If your input has academic merit, its warranted.
Repeat repeat repeat repeat- did I say repeat? Silly voices-change pitch-get them to imitate you. This is NOT rocket science, BUT you have to think how to deliver it so its NOT just another dancing clown act.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: