Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In love with Cambodia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exu156

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: In love with Cambodia Reply with quote

I have been teaching at a university in Thailand for close to 2 years now and have more or less come to the conclusion that I cant stand Thailand (for a variety of reasons). Basically I can't leave quickly enough but have a contract that finishes next April and I am not in the habit of breaking contracts.

I have always been fascinated with Cambodia and teaching there was my original intention when coming to Asia (ended up in Thailand because of a good job offer). Anyway, last April I visited Cambodia for the first time and I can tell you it was love at first sight.

So the plan for me now is save, save, save my baht and head over. Unfortunately saving money in Thailand is just not easy and after much planning etc I figure I will come to Cambodia with about 60,000 baht ($1,800 US) if it all works out. A question for the Cambodian veterans, can I find a job before the money runs out? Strange question I know and I realize it depends on many variables but do you think i could find a job in say 2 weeks?

I have BA, TEFL and 2 years teaching experience at a University.

Thank you for any replies. I really do appreciate it.
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: In love with Cambodia Reply with quote

exu156 wrote:

I have BA, TEFL and 2 years teaching experience at a University.

U should be fine. Some schools like to see a demo-lesson before they give u a job offer, and some don't. So, with your quals, as long as you can wow them with a demo-lesson you should be golden! My advice would be to apply at ACE first. They pay high above the average, but require a BA AND TEFL/TESOL/CELTA (they seem to prefer a CELTA, which appears to be highly praised here) and favor people with experience. Most other schools pay western teachers with experience about $10 p/h, and most schools are taking out taxes now too. Also, don't forget that most schools in Phnom Penh (teaching ESL) don't offer housing allowances, flights, contract bonuses, medical reimbursement, paid sick days or any other sort of paid holidays, so having some money saved up BEFORE u arrive here is essential.

Basically, you will have to wait until you get here to start applying for jobs because most schools don't hire over the net/phone. This has been said here before, but just print up some CVs and go around to the schools of your choice and drop them off. It seems like the schools put them in a big pile and rummage through them when they need a new teacher. They usually contact a possible future teacher days (or hours in some cases) before they need to fill a position, so you need to be ready for a call from a school asking if u can come in the same day for an interview or demo-lesson.

So, IMHO I think you'll be ok arriving with almost $2,000.
exu156

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply, you have certainly given me much to think about. I gather that this is the ACE you are talking about

ACE Phnom Penh

No 46, Street 214

Sangkat Boeung Raing

Khan Daun Penh

Phnom Penh (PO Box 860)

Tel:(855 23) 724 204 / 215 146

Fax:(855 23) 426 608

Email: [email protected]

Thank you so much for your help. The months can't go past fast enough so I can finally be in Cambodia.
deessell2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in love with Cambodia, or a Cambodian?

Wink
exu156

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deessell2 wrote:
Are you in love with Cambodia, or a Cambodian?

Wink

just the country at the moment Very Happy

but it is hard not to fall in love with Cambodian women also. They really have the loveliest smile, stunning ladies Wink
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will find work no problem--good luck

Cool
Cal_Ger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think you'll like Cambodia if you don't like Thailand! Going to Cambodia is going backwards ......in 'all areas' of life. Hygiene is almost not existent. You have bargain/barter for EVERYTHING you want because of the 'Barang' pricing ....same in most/all Asia countries. Thailand, believe it or not is more developed. Good luck anyway.
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal_Ger wrote:
What makes you think you'll like Cambodia if you don't like Thailand! Going to Cambodia is going backwards ......in 'all areas' of life. Hygiene is almost not existent. You have bargain/barter for EVERYTHING you want because of the 'Barang' pricing ....same in most/all Asia countries. Thailand, believe it or not is more developed. Good luck anyway.

??

The OP didn't seem to mention he was leaving Thailand because of the problems with hygiene, pricing, or to be in a more developed nation.

I prefer to live in Cambodia over Thailand and also agree (for the most part) with your comparisons of the 2 countries. I do wish they had some real-deal cinemas that showed Western films here!!

Cal_Ger wrote:
Thailand, believe it or not is more developed. Good luck anyway.

Duh. I didn't think anyone assumed Cambodia was more developed than Thailand. Not sure why u are assuming the OP is leaving for these reasons, unless I majorly missed something...

Either way, it's kind of you to stop by and give the OP more things to think about before jumping ship.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lucky Khan

I bet Im more in love with Cambodia than you are!

Now, Asia--that is another matterr...

----------------------------------------------------------

C A M B O D I A
try it and see dude Cool
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khmerhit wrote:
Hey Lucky Khan

I bet Im more in love with Cambodia than you are!

haha, then why am I here and U're not?? I guess u prefer long-distance relationships Laughing
exu156

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No my dislike for Thailand has NOTHING to do with hygiene or development. I have visited Cambodia before (first time I drove from Poipet to PP) and yes it is true, Cambodia is nowhere near as developed as Thailand. This does not bother me in the slightest however. Being ripped off is fairly much a part of life in Asia for any Westerner.

Thai's get on my nerves because of their overt racism, their self-righteous nationalism, their closed-mindedness and many other reasons I wont get into now. I am not saying these problems don't exist in Cambodia also but it does not seem anywhere near as severe. The bottom line is Thais don't like 'farangs' (in fact I am now convinced they can't stand farangs), they put up with us because of our money. That's it!

Considering the human garbage that floats in from all over the world and into Pattaya maybe I really shouldn't blame them. Very Happy
escapism

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all true...

Yes many Thais are xenophobic nationalists who see us as 'walking ATM's', but not all.

When I lived in a neighbourhood in Bangkok at the bottom of a long soi, I was often offered a lift. These were upper middle class Thais.

When I lived in a nice working class neighbourhood in BKK most of the neighbours were very nice to me all the time. I didn't take myself seriously and loved to joke with them. I think they enjoyed being able to laugh at me (without me taking offence) as well as laugh along with me.

One night I was admitted to hospital with a severe fever and woke up the next day to see people from the neighbourhood standing in the hospital room with bags of fruit and snacks for me. I was very moved.

I'd also like to add that I never had much money and never dished out presents or money - except for the odd bag of fruit or whatever.

Many other 'farang' I spoke to hated them with a vengeance having had nothing but bad experiences with the Thai people, they still lived there for some odd reason though...
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

escapism wrote:
Not all true...

Many other 'farang' I spoke to hated them with a vengeance having had nothing but bad experiences with the Thai people, they still lived there for some odd reason though...

So, which one is it!??! Sounds like u admit that 'most' other Western people didn't have the euphoric experiences u had.....

Laughing Cool
exu156

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

escapism wrote:
Not all true...

I totally agree. Not all Thais are racist or dislike farangs, in fact I know some absolutely lovely Thais who not only are not racist but are very forward-looking in realizing that Thailand needs foreign influence in order to develop positively. Also, a few weeks back I had a motorcycle crash and was off work for some days and it was awesome to see a few Thai people checking up on my welfare and bringing me food. Not everyone is the same.

Unfortunately however (as a foreigner living in Thailand) my skin is a few tones darker than the average farang (I am Australian but my parents are Portuguese so I have olive skin) and this brings up issues which I am not sure you would ever face (I am assuming you have white skin).

I worked for a coffee franchise in Australia (8 years teaching coffee shops how to make money basically). I come from a very corporate background (hated every moment of it. Money was good but the falseness of corporate work in Australia was repulsive). My skin color has never made the slightest difference in any of the corporate work I have done. Xenophobia has never been part of my working experience ANYWHERE, except Thailand.

I have been living in Thailand for 2 years, teaching at a university and also contracted to teach at a few of the factories in the area. There is an immigration office here where I, along with all the other 'farang' teachers have to go to get our 90 day check to stay legally. I usually go in to the immigration with 2 or 3 other 'farangs' who have 'white' skin. These other 'farangs' get a nice wai (the polite Thai form of greeting), whereas I on the other hand get nothing. The other 'farangs' get their 90 day stamp very quickly and efficiently whereas I have to wait at the back of the line. The other 'farangs' get pleasant conversation from the immigration officer while he looks through their paperwork, I get nothing but sarcasm and put downs about looking like a Filipino and get asked whether my Australian passport is real or did I buy it on the street. This is but one example in just one place, I could go and on and give you so many more.

Okay just one more quick example, I had to have my photo taken for my work permit. The work permit was all processed okay but when I got it back and looked at the photo, they had painted me white. Literally photoshopped my olive skin away! Ah the miracles of modern technology!

Friendliness in Thailand is to a very great degree dependent on your skin color. I see it every day.
escapism

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the good ol� Bangkok immigration centre - fond memories! Very Happy

I see your point, I hail from Scotland and have very white skin. When I'm fresh off the plane, the Thais who know me previously fawn over how white and 'beautiful' my skin is. I get comments like 'I wish I had skin like yours' and 'you must stay out of the sun nah!' They don't really get how many European girls go to crazy lengths to tan their white skin. When I tell them about sun-tan salons they think I am pulling their leg!

I still however never got nice treatment at that Immigration MOD EDIT though Surprised

And I do admit that I met many complete wankers in my four years living in Thailand, but I always felt safe (just my wallet that was on constant alert). Compared to living in a slum in the east end of Glasgow, where you needed eyes on the back of your head - I could relax in LOS much more.

Anyway, I too am considering checking out cambo to see if I could make it my home for a while. I am in two minds whether to check out China or Cambodia and I am still on the fence...

I intend to teach while abroad but I also don't intend doing it for the rest of my days, and I think there would possibly be more opportunities in China (export for example).

Anyway all the best with your plans my man, hope things work out.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: