Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NASA News Conference-Exceptional Object Found
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: NASA News Conference-Exceptional Object Found Reply with quote

This could get very interesting:

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/nov/HQ_M10-157_Chandra_Update.html

Where is Rod Serling when we need him? Wink
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien mothership?

Planet X?

Evidence of the origins of that thing on Donald Trump's head?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the discovery of a new planet in a neighboring solar system. Although these 'discoveries' are becoming commonplace, one thing different about this one:

The planet has many tiny objects orbiting the planet that are sending and receiving signals.

Just like ours.

There is the smoking gun: intelligent life on other worlds.
killthebuddha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks btsmrtfan!

Some candidates for what the news conference will be about:

http://www.martinpeniak.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=188:nasa-announces-televised-chandra-news-conference-&catid=17:updates
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise you all, with extra security for this event, it's bound to be something like the discovery of intelligent life.

Quote:
The discovery of a planet orbiting a star merely 30 light years away is not something new. About 500 planets thus far have discovered orbiting the stars we see in the night sky since the early 1990's.

What is new is the discovery of varying faint radio signals coming from one such planet. With the help of the newest telescopes technology has to offer, it has been determined that one such planet not only is sending these 'patterned' signals, but a so-called 'Rosetta Stone' is now being quietly constructed to put together an alien language.

After deciphering the lexicon, scientists and linguists will be able to send messages directly to the star with the hopes of opening a new chapter in mankind's history:

Open communication with extra-terrestrial neighbours.

One worry that some prominent scientists have expressed is that sending a calling card to a civilization with advanced technology may very well seal our fate the same way the American Indians suffered after Columbus's discovery of the Americas.

Personally, I am all for decoding their language. Sending a message back, even though it would take 30 years to send and 30 years to receive (60 years per message) would be the longest wait in history.

And that's only if they choose to respond at all.

One can assume that just because they have the capacity to communicate with us, it doesn't mean they are able to get to us any time soon.

The fastest ship that humanity can possibly construct to reach their planet would take thousands of years. Even if they can make the journey in hundreds of years, we will be technologically ready for any threat.

The biggest worry is if they simply launch a bio-weapon or other such great weapon of mass destruction of some sort towards our solar system upon discovering our existence. After all, they know little about us and our intentions and may have had past and previous unpleasant experiences with other races.

Last edited by The Great Wall of Whiner on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear The Great Wall of Whiner,

" . . . it's bound to be something like the discovery of intelligent life.'

You mean here - on Earth? Well, I'll believe that only when I see it.

Regards,
John
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I am all for decoding their language. Sending a message back, even though it would take 30 years to send and 30 years to receive (60 years per message) would be the longest wait in history.

But how long would it take English First or Berlitz to fly out, set up shop and start advertising jobs at truly galactic wages?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
killthebuddha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear The Great Wall of Whiner,

" . . . it's bound to be something like the discovery of intelligent life.'

You mean here - on Earth? Well, I'll believe that only when I see it.

Regards,
John

And,

Even when we see it, how will we recognize it? (Apart from shooting at it, of course.) Maybe if they have the same fused chromosome? Besides, we've all seen (pictures of) aliens, and I'm sorry, but I just don't see how those hands can effectively turn all the knobs needed to get here.

--ktb
Antboy10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a blackhole. No aliens! haha.

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/nov/HQ_10-299_CHANDRA.html
Quote:
Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory have found evidence of the youngest black hole known to exist in our cosmic neighborhood. The 30-year-old black hole provides a unique opportunity to watch this type of object develop from infancy.
killthebuddha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe more interesting is this:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/GLAST/news/new-structure.html

"NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope has unveiled a previously unseen structure centered in the Milky Way. The feature spans 50,000 light-years and may be the remnant of an eruption from a supersized black hole at the center of our galaxy."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one day the supersize black hole will absorb our lovely earth planet including all NASA's Space Telescopes and Satellites and will send them into another world .........then you will witness the day of judgment .......
killthebuddha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the most recent NASA bombshell (hit any link if it's hype you want) re: "arsenic-based life forms," etc.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=nasa+announcement+arsenic&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=nasa+announcement+arsenic&gs_rfai=&psj=1&fp=7b9141da4f416ce8

However, for a more focused perspective on this "revolutionary discovery," see

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/12/its_not_an_arsenic-based_life.php

"Klaatu barada nikto anyway."

Laughing
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ktb,

Is Dr. Myers certain about that? I'm pretty sure one of my ex-wives was a arsenic-based life form.

Regards,
John

P.S. And are you menckensghost?
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Quote:

But how long would it take English First or Berlitz to fly out, set up shop and start advertising jobs at truly galactic wages?

Laughing
killthebuddha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear ktb,

Is Dr. Myers certain about that? I'm pretty sure one of my ex-wives was a arsenic-based life form.

"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married." But speaking of arsenic, what's good for the goose...

Lady Astor: Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink.

Churchill: Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it.

johnslat wrote:
P.S. And are you menckensghost?

Yes, you've made me. Nice one. I'm all curmudgeon but without H. L.'s talent. (We're even on a first-initial-basis.) I was kicked by a horse and can only see things peripherally, and by looking sideways. I try to compensate but nothing helps. I've even had to stop watching John Stewart and Stephen Colberrr. Sumthin's gotta give.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

And Derrida didn't help. Here's Socrates' ghost at play:

"As soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene."

"Certain readers resented me when they could no longer recognize their territory, their institution."

"Every discourse, even a poetic or oracular sentence, carries with it a system of rules for producing analogous things and thus an outline of methodology...Everything is arranged so that it be this way, and this is what is called culture."

"I do everything I think possible or acceptable to escape from this trap."

"I have always had school sickness, as others have seasickness. I cried when it was time to go back to school long after I was old enough to be ashamed of such behavior...Still today, I cannot cross the threshold of a teaching institution without physical symptoms, in my chest and my stomach, of discomfort or anxiety. And yet I have never left school."

"I have always had trouble recognizing myself in the features of the intellectual playing his political role according to the screenplay that you are familiar with and whose heritage deserves to be questioned."

"The circle of the return to birth can only remain open, but this is a chance, a sign of life, and a wound."

"The first problem of the media is posed by what does not get translated, or even published in the dominant political languages."

"We are all mediators, translators."

...Maybe I'll try an exorcism? It'd be safer, and cheaper, than a lobotomy.

--ktb
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: