Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green List Schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Green List Schools Reply with quote

If there's a thread like this on here, I haven't found it yet. I've applied to a number of schools in China: EF Xuzhou, New Dynamic Institute in Wuhan, Manhattan Kids Club, David Worldwide, to name a few. Maybe it's paranoia and maybe it's the fact that my first ESL teaching experience , ECC in Korea, was a nightmare, but it seems incredibly easy to dig up dirt and negative commentary on schools, but I'm looking for schools with good reputations. I'd appreciate it if people could mention schools that they've had positive experiences with. I'm not asking anyone to find me a job, I'd just like to believe that not every ESL school is as corrupt as my old employer was.
Cairnsman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western Chongqing University � Yongchuan, Chongqing

South West University of Finance & Economics � Mianyang, Sichuan

University of New England section of South Ocean College � Wuxi, Jiangsu

Monash College (at Huamei International School) � Guangzhou, Guangdong

Guangdong Industry Technical College � Guangzhou, Guangdong

The College of International Exchange of Shanghai University � Shanghai
RobertF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks cairnsman. It's all too easy to become discouraged when I keep coming up with negative reviews of schools. It's hard to know whether or not these online grievances are valid. I'm attempting a, dare I say, optimistic, approach toward this job search. I keep telling myself that there are good schools out there, but I just haven't found them yet. I'll check out the names you gave me.
darkcity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ECC Korea Reply with quote

Sorry to bump a relatively ancient thread, but with all the criticisms of the bad schools out there, it would be useful for a China newbie to know where there are decent working conditions.

Quote:
The College of International Exchange of Shanghai University � Shanghai

Anyone have input on this school? I have been looking for a teaching adults gig in Shanghai, but I can only seem to find input at the large teacher mills.

Any other happy teachers at good companies are welcome to chime in.
xi.gua

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're gonna find negative comments about almost every school that's been around for awhile. You need to be able to separate legitimate claims vs complete utter BS that some scrub spewed because China didn't work out for them. There's a lot of negative comments from people who just couldn't cut it in China, not necessarily because a school is bad.

I remember in high school having a Chemistry teacher who was from Pakistan. Some of my classmates always blamed their poor grades on the fact that they "couldn't understand his accent" rather than the fact that they were just horrible students. He didn't have a bad accent, they just used that as an excuse for their laziness, or whatever the reason.
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hainan College of Foreign Languages and Vocational Education. Wenchang City, Hainan.

Omeida Language College. Yangshuo, Guanxi.

One mans meat is always likely to be anothers poison though. And things can change pretty quickly if one key staff member changes. I had a good time at both these places, and always got paid OK.
jimoin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A green list is all well and good, but how about a black list? I think there are plenty of schools that people need to be warned about. I haven't been able to find an up to date one that people can freely add to. Is it because of legal issues?
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably end up exactly the same as the green list!
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postings regarding teaching experiences in Korea have been deleted. Such postings belong on the Korean board and not on the International Board. Separate registration is required:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=903862#903862
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: