Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North Korea itching for war
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimoin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: North Korea itching for war Reply with quote

North Korea has launched an artillery barrage on a South Korean held island, killing one and injuring others. South Korea has responded by returning fire. What on earth provocation was it this time? NK recently revealed it is building a nuclear power plant and the US responded calmly. What is China going to do about its insane ally?
geaaronson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the additional commentary about the exchange, therein lies the explanation.

North Korea is in the middle of a succession. The grandson of the founder of the Communist nation is about to become head man. When his father was about to become head of the nation, the grandfather similarly attacked S. Korea. It`s a rite of succession and serves to prove to South Korea not to mess with "my son" while he learns the ropes of leadership.
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there is this:

http://www.mediaite.com/uncategorized/sarah-palin-confuses-whos-on-our-side-in-northsouth-korea/
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear btsmrtfan,

Well, that's only fair, you betcha. I mean, we were on the South's side the first time.

Regards,
John

P.S. A side-note: Wearing my Marine Corps, Vietnam vet jacket, I just stopped by McDonalds. The guy behind the counter, noticing the jacket, told me:

"Do you believe we're going back there?"

"Huh," I replied.

"To Vietnam - they just bombed South Korea."

I corrected his misapprehension and marveled yet once again at how much the US public generally knows about history and geography.

Have you ever wondered how someone like Ms Palin could have so many fans here?
I don't.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please. They're NOT. They're just acting like spoilt children stamping their feet and hopig for more aid money. BUt . . I hope peple do get scared off of Korea. Then there will be less competition for jobs.

It ticks me off what the media does and how they portray things. I had frantic emails from family and friends thinking I'd died Rolling Eyes Funnily enough, I had no idea what happened. That should give you an idea of priorities and how seriosly we're taking this.

I teach uni students, who are 1 yaer away from their 22 month stint of miltary service. They're not worried. So why shoudl I?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. A side-note: Wearing my Marine Corps, Vietnam vet jacket, I just stopped by McDonalds. The guy behind the counter, noticing the jacket, told me:

"Huh," I replied.

I corrected his misapprehension and marveled yet once again at how much the US public generally knows about history and geography.

Have you ever wondered how someone like Ms Palin could have so many fans here?
I don't.

I don't, either. Stories like this are sadly abundant. It really depresses me to see how popular someone like Palin has become..it's like they've got their brains switched off. The ultimate result of decades of American television, perhaps Cool
cks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as Palin says, "We all must stand by our Northern Korean Allies"

She has over 2 million fans on facebook, her daughter who was a robotic dancer almost won Dancing With the Stars by the votes, and her book is on the front shelf at the bookstore in West Texas and very popular. Quite disturbing! I do get a kick out of watching her brilliant interviews!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cks wrote:
Yes, as Palin says, "We all must stand by our Northern Korean Allies"

She has over 2 million fans on facebook, her daughter who was a robotic dancer almost won Dancing With the Stars by the votes, and her book is on the front shelf at the bookstore in West Texas and very popular. Quite disturbing! I do get a kick out of watching her brilliant interviews!

I have spent a lot of time working in Alaska (I always leave as soon as my work is done, BTW) and it doesn't surprise me that she became governor. What does surprise is that she was tapped to be a VP candidate (Thankfully that was Mr. McCain's first and last presidential level decision) and that she is still so popular. She was a lackluster gov of Alaska and she couldn't even finish her term out. Now there is the real danger of a repeat of 1980 which would be a far greater disaster than the 8 years of GW Bush Jr ever were Shocked
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the adventures in faraway places that the Pentagon has got involved in, are you surprised that North Korea has the idea that uncle Sam might try something ?
geaaronson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"Huh," I replied.

I corrected his misapprehension and marveled yet once again at how much the US public generally knows about history and geography

You should have been watching Jay Leno Walk all these years. He would highlight this very point by walking up the streets of LA and asking people basic information questions.

The funniest one was the young woman getting a Phd in Social Anthropology who when asked in which of the four apostles`books can we find the first reference to the Easter bunny, hemmed and hawed, tried very hard not to appear ignorant and then stammered Matthew, no, Luke, etc. etc.
Teflon Don

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!

It was in Gavin right?
astrayalien

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know, why did the USA have military exercises near North Korean territory? Isn't that a little antagonistic?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrayalien wrote:
I want to know, why did the USA have military exercises near North Korean territory? Isn't that a little antagonistic?

Because there's a base in S. Korea and S. Korae is near North Korea, so the exercises have to be done there. North Korea also has military exercises a couple times a year. It's not like we're going to war. It's just practice.

Ok, technically we're still at war since they near signed an armistice. . . but whatever, it's just semantics.
desertdust

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This little game of charades has been going on since 1945. The Kim dynasty and and his cherished Korean Workers Party will hold on to power till the very end, whenever that will be; most probably the year 2145.

If anyone goes on one of the DMZ tours you will be sure to visit a little museum where all the armed insurgencies into South Korea are listed in large English print on a wall (inside). The date and details of the nature of the breach or violation of the armistice are recorded. From memory it was about 138 (or there abouts) infiltrations or violations of the agreement. That was about 8 years ago.

One of the most serious occurred in 1968 when 31 North Korean commandos tried to kill the South Korean President Park Chung Hee. They managed to escape back across the DMZ with some being killed during their escape but the leader of the platoon was captured. He admitted the operation was to kill the President of SK.

Apparently South Korea wanted to go to war over this military operation by the north. However, Lyndon B. Johnson and the US military was already head over heals involved in the Vietnam fiasco and could not afford another war. Johnson and his advisers apparently said no way thus the idea melted away. In a way the 1968 attack was far more serious in its execution and tenacity compared to the recent artillary bombardment. Both warrant good excuses needed to go to war. For one thing they were both similar in their dynamics but different in operation. One was a covert commando operation the other an artillery barrage. 1968- War in Vietnam - 2010 - War in Afghanistan (Iraq) ...US military under economic and manpower constraints.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the recent troubles between the two Koreas began, I've started rethinking about working in South Korea.

I don't want to teach and then end up in a nuked landscape.

Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: