Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best laptop Mac or PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobStrauss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a real geek like me, you can get a lot more bang for your buck in terms of hardware out of non-Apple notebooks and desktops. And FWIW, I haven't had a "blue screen of death" in probably 10 years. With basic background knowledge of Windows OS, it's quite easy to keep things running without a hitch.

I will say that Apple makes some really cool stuff, though. I have an iPad 2 and think it's fantastic, and I'm also a big fan of iPhones. The great thing about Apple is that it makes such easy to use, reliable and intuitive devices. They're amazing. Now I wish they were more giving to their customer base (for example, iPad flash compatibility, USB connections, lower app prices, etc.) but they still make the best phones and tablets on the market.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash is dead.

HTML5 took care of it.
pr455

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it has to do with what you are looking for. I have used Apple in the past and did not care for it, so I am a PC person. Does this mean that I hate Apple? No. I found what worked for me.

At the end of the day, and not saying that anyone here has done this, people make a choice that they like and stick to it, without feeling that they are being threatened in some sort of way. I have seen countless comments about Apple and PC articles and people feel that they have to defend their choice. If you like it, buy and stick with it. It's just as simple as that.

Shawn
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC is better
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC is better
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PC is better

Quote:
PC is better

Quote:
PC

Write that from a PC by any chance? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with Apple is it is overpriced. Same goods 10 x price = people who understand computers don't like it. Their tweaks on Linux are sometimes good, but you have to remember Linux is free. Also, you can get the same tweaks for free. Buy all the things that would be in an apple and then install an Apple version of Linux. However, you might not get the apple logo or the sleek white (which will change color) design.

I have no need to go to bat for anyone, best price is what I look for. If you know computers get what you want and install linux. If you want easy functionality, get what you want and windows. If either or both of the above apply to you but you want to pay more get a Mac Razz
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly my computer is also dying, and I'm going through sort of the same dilemma as you. Well, not quite; I don't like Apple as a company and after their patent-trolling with the Galaxy Tab I swore I'd never buy another Apple product again. But practicality often trumps ideology and my family encouraged me to look into buying another Mac because they're sturdier and I had to replace all of my pre-Apple laptops within two year. OTOH, my Macbook broke a couple times too, it's just that AppleCare covered most of it, or like with a PC it would have been not that much more expensive just to buy a new one. In Turkey though, there's no such thing as AppleCare...

Any rate, I found it interesting to note that Macbooks in Turkey are only about 25% more than they'd be in the United States, whereas non-Mac foreign-made laptops are generally 50-100% more than the exact same thing in the US. (The cheapest of course are the Turkish-made Casper brand laptops of unproven reliability.) Additionally, while your choice in PCs is rather limited in Turkey, there are stores that carry the full range of Mac products. Despite this, non-Macs remain on average cheaper and more varied in selection, simply because of where they're starting from.

(Oddly the price thing is for the whole computer. When I needed to replace the power supply for my Macbook, the cheapest place I found would have been 280% what it would have cost in the US. Instead I ordered one from the UK and even with shipping it still came out to about 2/5 of what it would have cost in Turkey.)

All these random observations aside:
Buy a high-spec PC if you can find one and dual-boot it.
Buy it before leaving your home country if possible, or have someone bring it to you. It's not just Turkey where computers are more expensive and selection is poor.

Regards,
~Q
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobStrauss wrote:
If you're a real geek like me, you can get a lot more bang for your buck in terms of hardware out of non-Apple notebooks and desktops. And FWIW, I haven't had a "blue screen of death" in probably 10 years. With basic background knowledge of Windows OS, it's quite easy to keep things running without a hitch.

I will say that Apple makes some really cool stuff, though. I have an iPad 2 and think it's fantastic, and I'm also a big fan of iPhones. The great thing about Apple is that it makes such easy to use, reliable and intuitive devices. They're amazing. Now I wish they were more giving to their customer base (for example, iPad flash compatibility, USB connections, lower app prices, etc.) but they still make the best phones and tablets on the market.

I'm confused that you would claim to be a geek who uses Windows, and then speak well of Apple's tablets and smartphones.

With an Apple computer you can do anything you'd do with a PC, even if it's a bit more expensive. With an iPad/iPhone you can't root your device, choose your provider, install non-market programs, use it as mass storage, or hook it up via USB. You can do all of these things on many Android devices, not to mention that the majority of Android apps are free and most of those remaining are cheaper than the iOS alternatives. Not that I'm entirely thrilled with Android; it's hard to root your device and Google does censor the store (though you can go around it and I have on occasion), but it's far more flexible than iOS.

~Q
Sophisticate

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best laptop Mac or PC Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
BocaNY wrote:
Hi. I was wondering what you all think is the best laptop for an ESL teacher to have when living in different countries. I am a mac person (love them) but my mac is slowly dieing after 5yrs and I need to get a new one. Since I want to keep traveling and teaching which laptop would be best for going on esl websites, to use in the classroom if need be, or to do online tutoring with?

Basically which would be most compatible and easier to use in esl teaching?

Thanks for any info/help.

Outside of North America you will find that by-and-large the vast majority of the planet is NOT Mac friendly.

You will end up loading a windows emulator and running PC software just because you have to.

Getting repairs, upgrades, etc will be difficult and even more expensive than it is at home.

In some countries, even getting your internet hooked up will be a chore because the tech will plug everything in, sit down to configure the connection are realize it is Mac and not a PC and will then say, "No can do."

If you are tech savvy then you can get yerself a Mac. If you are not, get a PC and make your life simple.

Funniest thing I have ever heard, absolutely the most hilarious-get a PC and make your life simple!!!! Really? You are dreaming, and should educate yourself. Windows is the biggest time waster ever created. Mac needs NONE of the vast amount of Windows upkeep. You simply use a Mac, as we all know. I have used Macs overseas for fifteen years and have never has an issue. I have seen Macs in every country I have traveled to.
The intelligent choice is Apple all the way for many reasons.
Sophisticate

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: It's a Myth Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
Problem with Apple is it is overpriced. Same goods 10 x price = people who understand computers don't like it. Their tweaks on Linux are sometimes good, but you have to remember Linux is free. Also, you can get the same tweaks for free. Buy all the things that would be in an apple and then install an Apple version of Linux. However, you might not get the apple logo or the sleek white (which will change color) design.

I have no need to go to bat for anyone, best price is what I look for. If you know computers get what you want and install linux. If you want easy functionality, get what you want and windows. If either or both of the above apply to you but you want to pay more get a Mac Razz

It is a myth propagated by unintelligent people that Macs are expensive. It is a falsehood, many of us have known for a long, long time. I buy used, and they are a bargain. High quality lasts, and it is just like buying a second hand Mercedes. You are getting a bargain for a fraction of the price. I just bought a wonderful MacBook Unibody 2.26 GHz for four hundred -forty dollars. My son bought a MacBook for three fifty. That is not expensive, my friend. And, you get the amazing Apple operating system. Works like a dream. Any Apple naysayers are simply jealous because they feel left out, and cannot articulately explain why they feel that way.
rickh

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Myth Reply with quote

Sophisticate wrote:
Any Apple naysayers are simply jealous because they feel left out, and cannot articulately explain why they feel that way.

Why is it that Apple fans always, ALWAYS resort to this reasoning?

Truth is, the admittedly very nice unibody aside, Macs and major brand PCs now have the exact same components inside. Whether you prefer the Mac OS, Windows or something else is pretty subjective and completely based on application need.

R.
==
pr455

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickh,

I can answe that question. Because apple fans always feel that they have to defend their choice to the world because they think that apple products are superior. I use PC and it works for me, but I don't go around hating on apple products and hoping that they fail. Rolling Eyes

Shawn
Montanaland

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Cheapest components. Reply with quote

I just bought a Ferrari and I am happy with it! >>>w520 lenovo

Lenovo is cheaper than customized computers it seems.

I use it for trading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: