Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice to NEWBIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petertrinh10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about native and non native couples?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petertrinh10 wrote:
how about native and non native couples?

What about them? More info would be nice...

If you are talking about a native/non-native speaker teaching EFL together that would all depend on many factors. Many schools prefer or will only hire non-local teachers if they are in fact native speakers with the proper passports. Many countries won�t even issue the proper work visa to a non-native speaker.

Add to that that 2 people from different cultural backgrounds are in a relationship and then decide to live in another country where the language, culture, customs etc are different yet again. You need to have a strong relationship and really know what you both want.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Add to that that 2 people from different cultural backgrounds are in a relationship and then decide to live in another country where the language, culture, customs etc are different yet again.

I've been there for the past decade + Cool
It's OK, but we had both been fully functioning autonomous adults for some years in advance, and we're pretty secure overall as individuals. That makes things quite a bit easier, I think. My personal recipe for success, in any case - I'm sure there are many other ways to make it work (or not)!

Oh, and I'm not married to a teacher, either - that might also help.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Add to that that 2 people from different cultural backgrounds are in a relationship and then decide to live in another country where the language, culture, customs etc are different yet again.

I've been there for the past decade + Cool
It's OK, but we had both been fully functioning autonomous adults for some years in advance, and we're pretty secure overall as individuals. That makes things quite a bit easier, I think. My personal recipe for success, in any case - I'm sure there are many other ways to make it work (or not)!

Oh, and I'm not married to a teacher, either - that might also help.

Thanks for the input. I wasn�t saying it couldn�t be done, just there are a lot of factors in the mix and to consider all of them.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I entirely agree that it's challenging. But marraige is that at its best and/or worst anyway!!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Oh, I entirely agree that it's challenging. But marraige is that at its best and/or worst anyway!!

Well said Twisted Evil
MichaelH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Could I care less? Yes. Reply with quote

I couldn't resist getting in my tuppence worth on the could / couldn't care less question! I expect I'll annoy a few people with my first post. Oh dear.

As a British English speaker it's something I notice a lot. My theory is as follows: the original formulation was "I couldn't care less." As has been observed above, this makes sense and is still standard in British English. What I think happened next is the appearance of "As if I could care less," which is still a correct phrase in British and US English. The shortening to "I could care less" seems to be becoming standard in US English.

Maybe this is just a symptom of a phrase in transition, but I must admit that I hate it. It feels sloppy to me. It shows a lack of awareness and creativity in communication. It smells of Newspeak. It is careless. So, yes, I could care less about it.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try to keep this sticky on-topic for 2013, any new advice for a newbie, feel free to add it!
vladimirskala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: First Post Reply with quote

hello everyone!

I've heard much about ESL Cafe from my classmates (I'm finishing up MA in TESL). There is so much useful stuff here. I really have to be careful about the time (as I mentioned I'm hoping to finish the degree).

Any particular advice for someone with a degree in TESL, 3 years of teaching experience (at a Slovak bilingual high school), and a desire to go teach abroad (and a slight accent, since I wasn't born in an English-speaking country)???
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: THANKS!!! Reply with quote

I sure hope I have helped hundred's of newbies with my helpful Thread/Sticky!

Thanks for all the views and replies!
ColoradoHiker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: THANKS!!! Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

You have helped- Thank you for this post- this is my first, but I've been lurking for a few months. I'm reading and reading, and have learned heaps. Thank you all for addressing what must become redundant to you.
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to take this time to show my gratitude for all the information the Senior Posters have shared with us Newbies. I've been browsing this site for several years periodically. Now I'm ready to dive right into the ESL pool. I've gotten a lot of useful tips that I will take with me on my new journey.
Thanks for all you have shared and look forward to participating in more conversation topics in the future.

Aaron
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: THANKS!!! Reply with quote

ColoradoHiker wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

You have helped- Thank you for this post- this is my first, but I've been lurking for a few months. I'm reading and reading, and have learned heaps. Thank you all for addressing what must become redundant to you.

Your welcome and hope you have an enjoyable time in TEFL Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: