Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single mum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Single mum Reply with quote

Dear All,

I'd like to know how easy it is to get an English teaching job in the Middle East as a single mum. I've recently finished an MA in Linguistics(TESOL) from the University of Surrey (UK) and I have a 5 yr. old son from a previous marriage. I am particularly interested in the Emirates, Oman and maybe Qatar. Any info would be much appreciated.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: single parent Reply with quote

I am not sure about the states next door, but in Saudi Arabia this would be VERY difficult.
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know one single mum here in Qatar. She gets by because the child care is so cheap
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of at least a couple of single mothers who have taught in the Emirates and one of them posts on the UAE board now and again. Hopefully she will appear and answer.

BTW, the better jobs as far as pay and benefits will require a few years experience in addition to that MA and many require that it be after the MA.

The Middle East is very 'child-friendly.' One place that comes to mind that fits this catagory is Sultan Qaboos University in Oman.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Single mum Reply with quote

Mystic Eyes wrote:
Dear All,

I'd like to know how easy it is to get an English teaching job in the Middle East as a single mum.

You don't have to tell anyone you're a mother when you apply or are interviewed. I'd leave the topic for discussion until after you receive an offer.

Mystic Eyes wrote:
I've recently finished an MA in Linguistics(TESOL) from the University of Surrey (UK) and I have a 5 yr. old son from a previous marriage. I am particularly interested in the Emirates, Oman and maybe Qatar. Any info would be much appreciated.

You're looking in all the right places, but your chances w/no experience are not good. You'd do best to lookk at language schools rather than universiities, but that means relatively more hours and less pay.
Mystic Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice. Just a little something I'd like to share with you. A week ago I had a phone interview with a school in the Emirates called "Al-Itihaad School." I thought the interview went quite well up to the point where I had to mention I have a 5 yr.old son.

As I was saying, the interview went really well, and then the lady who was interviewing me started to tell me what the offer would be, salary, accomodation, etc.. She said they provide either shared or single accomodation, which by that point I felt I needed to mention that I have a son which if offered the job I will be bringing with me. The minute I did that there was a deadly silence and then I could hear her whispering to other people on the other end and then the interview was very abruptly concluded by "Thanks, we'll get back to you." Needless to say they didn't.

But I'm not easily discouraged and will keep on applying. To answer your previous questions about whether I have any teaching experience after my MA, well the answer is no, so I guess my best bet is to build up some teaching experience by getting a teaching job in a school for a few years and then I'll have a better chance securing a uni teaching job. I do have 1yr. of English teaching experience in Jeddah, Saudi(was there for 1 yr. with ex-husband) but that was pre-qualification which I doubt will be considered.

Mystic Eyes
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic Eyes wrote:
Needless to say they didn't.

Ouch! Sorry to hear it.

If I were in your position, I would be tempted to say that I hadn't yet decided "if I would be bringing any family members along". I mean, don't let them know the particulars until you have a firm, signed offer in hand.

I have great empathy for someone in your position, having a lovely 5-y.o. myself. However, I know that many employers might look at your situation with caution. For your first couple of weeks, maybe longer, you're going to have to run around and deal with a new apartment, maybe buying furniture, getting medical tests, getting oriented to your school, arranging for child care --which might possibly mean sponsoring a visa for a maid or nanny, which is impossible until you have secured your own residence visa--, all while taking care of your son's routine needs --and yours--, and that may not leave much time for work. You may not even be able to bring your son in with you when you first arrive, depending on the country's visa regulations.

Single moms can do fine in the ME after they get through those first couple of months, but those months can be hell. You would be well advised to try to establish some contacts who could help you make the transition, independently of your prospective employer, so that you could involve your employer in your life as little as possible.

Keep looking.
hmbaba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: single mum Reply with quote

Hi
The problem is not that the 1 yr of experience is pre-MA, it may be the fact that it is just one year of experience - if indeed that be the case. Most places want 3+ yrs experience.
Quite honestly, I think it is easier to me a single mum in the Emirates than in the UK. Depending on where you work, school hrs will probably more or less coincide with your work times. Maids can be hired cheaply for baby-sitting and to collect your child from school by taxi. In the bigger institutions you'll be able to carpool. There are also often Western teenagers available to child-mind in hols - your child will probably follow a Christian calendar, but you won't. There is often quite good cooperation with colleagues in the same boat, too. It's all give and take...
For a child-friendly situation, try UAEU - if you can get an 8 - 2 schedule, you're Ok - and your child can do a few after school clubs so that you don't need to rush - get a maid on hand to help out and make friends with other parents and be prepared to share child-care duties with other parents - also the hotels in AA sometimes run holiday camps and so on for kids, so that helps too.
You have to be a bit flexible and rearrange your life schedule to suit - but you can make it work. If you get a weekend duty, be ready to find a solution for your child - it's not advisable to ask for concessions - just find the solution yourself.
Regards
PS: I think it totally advisable to be upfront about your family circs - then you don't get your hopes up and dashed - the HE places have family benefits - local schools often don't. Someone mentioned Oman - be careful there, some HE/FE places don't pay school fees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: