Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feasibility of a Startup ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayMarkDane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Feasibility of a Startup ? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I am considering the possibilities of actually starting my own school in a Colombian city. I intend to get more experience of teaching before this could become a reality... but I want to know the feasibility of the venture?

I only intend to begin in a small office environment, possibly on a part-time basis to begin with, so no huge capital outlay... pure entrepreneurial spirit here : )

I did read one thread here about one member that started his own school in Colombia ...but the thread appears to be dead without further information.

If it is indeed possible, I would like to know of any pitfalls to avoid.

It would also be good to hear opinions from those 'in the know', of what city would carry the most potential for a new school?

I thank you for your comments in advance.

Ray
derfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
As far as your starting a school in Colombia:
I love Medellin and Barrenquilla. I don't know much about the business possibilities in either.
I just finished a TEFL International 120 hour course and would like to work with you in either of those 2 cities, or maybe somewhere else. My Spanish is great blah blah.
Contact me at derfish and I'll send you my credentials and see where it goes.
Thanks
Der Fish
derfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Start up a school in this same Forum. Read it if you haven't as yet.
Der Fish
Martillo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some tips:

Do some internet research about how to set up a company in Colombia. There are some easy to follow guides available free online that law it all out in stages with times and costs for each step. Things like filing papers in the Chamber of Commerce to register officially, setting up a bank account (required), registering for taxes, and several other legally mandated steps.

Office space will be very difficult to get if you are a foreigner without connections. Real estate deals need people to guarantee them, even if you are just renting. And if you don�t know a land owning Colombian, this process is difficult (but still possible if you pay extra).

Office space and classroom space are two different issues. You can have a school with no classrooms if you travel to where the students are. But with a classroom, you increase your revenue possibilities.

Equipping a classroom shouldn�t be difficult as you can buy giant sized whiteboards very cheaply on the street.

Books. This will be a big initial expense to buy them new but after that there is basically no copy right law enforced in Colombia and you can copy like a madman in any of the small copy shops all over the city.

Corporate contracts. You cannot get corporate contracts unless you are an official company. Once you are official, this will be all about selling. Sell and sell hard. Convince them. Personal relationships are very important in Colombia so if the boss knows someone who knows someone who is connected with a school, that school has a much better chance winning a contract. On the other hand, some small schools put a lot of effort into marketting and beat out larger and more competent language schools just because they sell better (not necessarily with a better product). Being a foreigner has its advantages and disadvantages here. Also, my experience is in Bogot�. If you are someplace else, there may be more or less competition from different types of schools.

Work visas. If you want the best teachers, they will usually need work visas. You will need to provide these. And for yourself? If your school is small enough, you don�t wqualify for a business visa. I reallty don�t know if you would be able to help yourself get a work visa from a company that you help to establish, but it is possible if you have Colombians signing the papers for this new company. Otherwise, you will also not be able to remain in Colombia any longer than 6 months (given that you renew your tourist visa at least once in that time). And if you can�t stay, what is the point in having a business? Another possibility is to legally work for another school to get a visa and start your own business on the side.

I read that other thread on here to and asked him questions which he ignored. He may be just a troll and didn�t really start anything. I know a few who have started their own schools though.
RayMarkDane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the information, Martillo... very interesting!

Well, my thoughts are to get my work visa whilst working for a school.
Once I have the visa, apply for jobs at universities and hopefully, gain a better salary. Once in the university, start networking with everyone I meet.

Then, after some time look at a start-up on the side from a classroom and of course, try to gain some business clients. I hope to gain the business clients through connections at the university.

Also, I think that working for a university would give me some standing in the eyes of potential clients. This is just how I would consider a business back home too...

I am working on my Spanish language skills now by chatting to a lot of ladies... it is hard work... but it is for a good cause. I am also managing to network online prior to departure. I already have some good friends with good careers that may be of help in the future such as, a lawyer, a doctor, an accountant, a Spanish language teacher, a Salsa Teacher, a publicist and a teacher of gastronomy...well I have to eat well and I love to cook. I also have a lot of other pretty friends... and several dates already planned...by the pretty friends, whether I like it or not...

I will be in Bogota next week...

Anyone, already in Bogota...that can meet up, please get in touch !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: