Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries and locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pistonear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Salaries and locations Reply with quote

Okay China vets & newbies if you had a choice to teach in Shenzhen, Quanzhou, Baicheng Zhengzhou or Changchun which would you choose. The salaries are all within 500 rmb of each other. Most of the locations seem to be in the frosty sections, and I'll be moving from warm, back to a cold climate.
The number of teaching hours is 16 on the low end and 24 hours on the high end. One of the schools in particular seems to have a large foreign staff of Canadians, Americans, and British nationals. While the other has told me that I will be the first of two foreign teachers, that they will have. A third school has a contract that is suspect. They refuse to remove a clause that would allow me to acheive remedy from a Chinese court. Their contract also has a provision that can fire a teacher for misconduct or poor performance but doesn't state what is conduct or poor performance.
I have worries because I am a newbie. No fears of public speaking, but I need to start developing lesson plans. I know some training would help, but I don't have the cash for the courses right now.
I have a choice of assignment. Business Englishwith the 20 -30 year old crowd or 11 to 18 year olds. I only have an Associates, haven't finished the Bachelors yet need thirty credits. I am taking them now.(distance learning) I really want to do well and try really teach my prospective students. Any info, ideas, on salary teaching tips or classroom command would be much appreciated. Thanks.
arioch36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the important thing with Shenzhen..is housing supplied? Sounds like you will not be working at a college. I know much more about Zhengzhou. E-mail me whcih school, and I will try to let you know
11-18 yr olds. A high school? I like high schools that aren't too rich. Most 30 yr olds I have taught, I have not enjoyed as much personally. Their attitude is usually worse, english more varied, etc. teaching at a company is THE WORSE!!!
It is good of the other school to tell you that you would be their first. This can be a rewarding environment, but more difficult for the first year person with no experience in China. They simply will not understand your needs, and may not even have your room ready.
Classroom Command...yes, command. It is your room, experienced or inexperienced. What you let them get away with on the first day, they will think they should always get away with.
My best advice...if possible just sign a contract for this semester. Then if you want to stay longer, you will know what you want or need.
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not mention how much it would be on AVERAGE.
If you live in Shenzhen, the rock bottom money is 100 RMB per hour and housing should be supplied plus some other freebies.

If you work at the Shenda , the Uni here, then this kind of money would not apply.

Shenzhen is MONEY CITY, my rate is 200 for freelance work
pistonear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: salaries Reply with quote

Okay here goes.
Shenzhen averages out at 4700 rmb (16-18hrs/wk) (18-30 year olds)
Quanzhou was 5000 rmb (16- 18hrs/wk)(18-24 year olds)
Baicheng was 5000 rmb (25hrs/wk) but about six more hours of face time(11-18 year olds)
Zhengzhou 4500rmb (18hrs/wk) (16- 18 year olds)
Changchun 4700 rmb (25hrs/wk) (11-18 year olds)
Nanfang 4600 rmb (16- 18 hrs/wk) (11-18 year olds)
Sorry, if I was unclear.
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piston ear.

You will be working for 73 RMB per hour. half the going rate of 150 for anyone with decent qualifications.

In China everything is negotiable, certainly in SZ.

4700 in SZ? Utterly ridiculous, tell them to double it or no dice.
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello pistonear,
if you are totally new to China, I would not look for the best paying position because such jobs are sure to wear you down! I would go for a relatively laid-back job where you can get your bearings in this new country!
I would consider a public school.
It is true they don't pay very well but they all do pay reasonably well. Go to a language institute, and you will have the hard time of your life from week 1!
Remember they are in this business for business reasons. This means they have to stoop low to please their often pampered customers! You will be loaned to corporate clients. You will teach adults that are totally disinterested but do come because their boss is paying.
And you will never be listened to - the customer is king!

I would therefore forget about Shenzhen!
Come a little further north, and you will still find yourself within hours of Hong Kong by bus, yet in a more congenial environment than Shenzhen has to offer.

Once you know which way the winds blow here you can make educated decisions!
There are good jobs in Zhuhai, SHunde, Guangzhou, Nanhai, Foshan, Zhaoqing - all in Guangdong!

I am not averse to asking for money, but sometimes I accept jobs that pay very little and reward me a lot more emotionally! Yesterday I had a woman student that was a joy to have for conversational English for two hours! SHe only paid 60 RMB an hour, but she came ON TIME (rare!), she brought a fruit basket (worth at least 200 RMB!), and she drove me in a red BMW!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: