Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some general advice about teaching in CR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yfeem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Need some general advice about teaching in CR Reply with quote

I live in San Jose and am soon to become a resident so I am thinking about what I can do for work. Teaching seems the obvious thing to do but I really don't know if I am cut out for it, I am fairly shy and the idea of standing infront of a class full of people is terrifying. All the language teachers I've had before were all extroverts and I'm not sure if I could be like that.

I also do not have a degree. I have a diploma and have studied at degree level (some Open University) but I don't have a degree. Would this be a problem?

I don't have a qualification but I would take the month long intensive course if I decided to try and teach.

Just after any advice at all really. I do enjoy languages but I don't want to spend all that money on the course just to find out I need a degree and/or it's not a job that I am cut out for.
jprimm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is understanding that most good schools require a degree. If you are going to do it just for the paycheck, forget it. It is too hard and thevpay too low. MOST TEACHERS , INCLUDING MYSELF LOVE WHAT THEY DO. Sounds to me like you should explore other options.
yfeem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the more I think about it the more I think I might enjoy it but I have never taught so I can't be sure either way.

I need to do something. It is either working in a call centre or teaching English (pretty much) and I can see myself teaching in 20 years but 20 mins in a call centre would make me want to kill myself.

My wife and I live quite frugally and can get by on a small amount but I understand that I am not going to be earning loads. At some point in the future, could be tomorrow or 10 years, I won't need to pay any rent, which is my main expense here.

In terms of it just being for the pay check, while it is the primary reason for wanting to start this, it is not the only one. I am 31 and grew up in the UK working in jobs I more or less hated and never found any career or direction as such. I have been here (CR) for a couple of years and I am married so I intend to stay permanently. Since thinking seriously about teaching a few days ago I've slowly warmed to the idea and am quite excited by the prospect that I might have a job which excites me and that I am passionate about (as I think I would be if I became a teacher).

But basically I don't have many other options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: